PDA

View Full Version : engine nosie????

scott t5
Monday 21st November 2005, 21:19
hello my 850 t5 has started making a whinning noise from cold on light throttle goes if i dip the clutch but i guess thats cause the engine rev's are dropping has anybody else had a problem the same and do u know of a fix for it??? apart from turning the stereo up lol
any help would be great cheers :insane:

mickys60t5
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:16
hi it sounds like your thrust bearing

MattB
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:17
could also be alternator - mine's just gone a week or so ago.

scott t5
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:20
well that was what i was thinking but it sounds more turbo related. its a funny nosie 2 describe really whinning sort of whistle. release bearing nomally there all the time but this goes when it getts hot ???????? strange
thanks for the input

scott t5
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:22
i'll have a look at the alternator cheers did it drop charge or was it just cause of the nosie?

MattB
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:45
it dropped charge - was only pulling 9-10v.
see thread:

>alternator problems - VT5 thread< (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5581)

got one from salvo - £46 inc vat and delivery.
get a garage to check that it is definately the alternator first tho!

scott t5
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 21:56
checked me alt charge its pulling 1305 not loaded and 14 volts loaded.so i dont reckon its the alt? was doing it again 2 day then got hot then vanished.... cheers for ur input tho

Babybadger
Thursday 24th November 2005, 11:44
well that was what i was thinking but it sounds more turbo related. its a funny nosie 2 describe really whinning sort of whistle. release bearing nomally there all the time but this goes when it getts hot ???????? strange
thanks for the input

Mine makes a noise when spooling up, and it sounds like a copper has put the blues and twos on behind me everytime it spools up. Hamish @ VT said he has heard another one like it , but there is no explanation. It could be a recon turbo you have if you don't know the history. Mine doesn't blow oil and still has very good pressure, so don't worry too much. When it spools up to speed it sounds like a wzzzzzzzzzz noise. I think this is normal, but I am no expert!

Mrsmopp
Thursday 24th November 2005, 11:49
Mine makes a noise when spooling up, and it sounds like a copper has put the blues and twos on behind me everytime it spools up. Hamish @ VT said he has heard another one like it , but there is no explanation. It could be a recon turbo you have if you don't know the history. Mine doesn't blow oil and still has very good pressure, so don't worry too much. When it spools up to speed it sounds like a wzzzzzzzzzz noise. I think this is normal, but I am no expert!

My old 850 had the loudest turbo whistle I have ever known (god I miss that car!) Cold weather used to bring it out even more it was superb!! If yours is the same then its a good thing, that car was holding almost 1.5bar of boost @ one point (despite everyone saying it couldn't be done without bending rods) when the BCS was knackered and was more than happy! I was lead to believe the noise is a sign of a really healthy turbo!

x

siamblue
Thursday 24th November 2005, 13:36
My old 850 had the loudest turbo whistle I have ever known (god I miss that car!) Cold weather used to bring it out even more it was superb!! If yours is the same then its a good thing, that car was holding almost 1.5bar of boost @ one point (despite everyone saying it couldn't be done without bending rods) when the BCS was knackered and was more than happy! I was lead to believe the noise is a sign of a really healthy turbo!

x

\Mine is unbelievable for whistling people turn heads in the straight you only have to touch the throttle lightly and it whizzing,
shame i can't record and post it.