PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 Electrical Gremlins and an XC90 With an Odd Gearbox

pyrotechnictigger
Saturday 17th January 2015, 13:28
Hi all, sorry I've not been about much. Time, family, work etc.......

Right, my 04 plate S60 T5 (which I will sell once it's fixed!) has become more and more difficult to start. Turns over but won't fire. Finally, I flattened the battery trying to get it going and had to call the RAC. He read the codes and the crankshaft sensor was at fault. He cleared the fault and jumped it first time (had that on my old V70). So I bought a new one and fitted it. Car still won't start. But here's the odd bit. Once I've turned the engine over a few times, the cooling fans kick in at 100% and run for about 2 minutes. Battery is fully charged but it won't start (I have reset the ECU twice). Now this screams electrical gremlins to me and my first port of call will be cleaning up the chassis negative bolting points as I know they can be a pain. Any other ideas greatly appreciated! I've not checked the fuel rail and spark yet as the fan is such a huge symptom.

As for the XC90, 03 plate 122K D5. Goes fine forwards but engage reverse (when the thing is hot) and it shakes and jerks something awful.. There's drive there but it's not happy at all. I've had the gearbox fluid changed but made no difference. Again, any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ian :)

stribo
Saturday 17th January 2015, 14:02
The S60 sounds like a faulty MAF, it's common for the fan to run if they're playing up. Can't help with the XC90 I'm afraid.

pyrotechnictigger
Saturday 17th January 2015, 14:17
The S60 sounds like a faulty MAF, it's common for the fan to run if they're playing up. Can't help with the XC90 I'm afraid.

So if I pull the MAF connector, it should run? Seem to remember that from a previous car.