PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Startup??

MattB
Monday 21st November 2005, 16:44
Over the last few weeks, more so when cold (very cold), my beloved motor developes a noisy startup. After the engine fires, it appears to 'catch' - a loud noise, hard to describe, but at a guess, it may be a 'sticky starter motor'???

As I thought I would struggle to describe the sound, I took the opportunity this morning to try and record the problem using my digital camera, which in principal was a fantastic idea, but on replay, the noise can only just be heard.

Once the engine has warmed, the sound or problem disappears, therefore, I'd struggle to show this to a garage for them to diagnose.

Any help or suggestions what so ever would be appreciated as it has gotten me very puzzled - and slighlty frustrated as I've already had to replace battery + alternator (with Christmas approaching!!).

So please click on the links below and have a listen.
Its not as clear or loud as in real life, but can still be heard.
In both short vids - you first hear the fuel pump engage, then the engine turns over and fires - its at this point you can hear the 'catching noise'.

See what you think and let me know your thoughts....

>Start-up 1< (http://www.zippyvideos.com/3948570002334876/n423_goy_startup_21.11.05_001/)

>Start-up 2< (http://www.zippyvideos.com/5010124502334966/n423_goy_startup_21.11.05_002/)

Thanks in advance....

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Pliskin
Monday 21st November 2005, 17:48
Sorry mate I can't help you on those, but if you don't mind me highjacking your thread a bit, as the mornings get moe frosty, the start up idle on my 96 t5 is a bit too high.

It runs away to about 3k off the key, before settling down fairly quickly. Not really what I want straight from cold.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Jod T5
Monday 21st November 2005, 18:02
Sorry mate I can't help you on those, but if you don't mind me highjacking your thread a bit, as the mornings get moe frosty, the start up idle on my 96 t5 is a bit too high.

It runs away to about 3k off the key, before settling down fairly quickly. Not really what I want straight from cold.

Any ideas would be appreciated

have you tried a quick blip of the gas pedal... maybe a sticky choke....

MattB
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:16
I also have the same problem aswell - as Jod T5 says - a quick blip on the throttle usually sorts it.

Are you able to lubricate the choke?

Also, I'll try and get a better recording of the above noise problem in the morning - in the mean time, any ideas guys - apologies if the sound clips are not very good quality.

Justin
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:22
From the clips i would say its a sticking solenoid/the starter arm not retracting, one and the same effectively. :(

New starter is the way forward, refurbs just dont do the trick :(

BlackBeast
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:25
Havent even checked the sound clips, i had to help a mate out with changing his starter motor the other day and that was doing the same thing you described, luckily he found what looked like a brand new one in the scrap yard.

t5 stealth
Monday 21st November 2005, 22:59
hi
a poss suspect is the ignition key not returning properly after turning into start as volvo do suffer ignition fault,maybe its holding the starter in for a bit longer than normal,or possible starter solonoid slow to return,& with the cold weather its become more noticable,
& as for the other member with high revs when first started it sounds like a possible idle valve either mucky or dirty,again with the cold weather its amplifieing the problem,normally you can clean out idle valves with brake cleaner etc & it normally sorts it out,
hope this helps both

MattB
Monday 21st November 2005, 23:07
Many thanks to Justin t5 stealth and Blackbeast for their suggestions.

I'll look into starter motor costs tomorrow, but should I try these first?:

hi
a poss suspect is the ignition key not returning properly after turning into start as volvo do suffer ignition fault,maybe its holding the starter in for a bit longer than normal,or possible starter solonoid slow to return,& with the cold weather its become more noticableIs it a part of the ignition or simply the barrel that normally goes?
Can the barrel be cleaned - lubricated?

& as for the other member with high revs when first started it sounds like a possible idle valve either mucky or dirty,again with the cold weather its amplifieing the problem,normally you can clean out idle valves with brake cleaner etc & it normally sorts it out Is this easy to do - how do I go about it?

I appreciate you can't 'hold my hand' for me guys - but where do I start?
Again, thanks in advance for suggestions...

MattB
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 11:46
Started car this morning and doesn't seem to be as bad.
Will ring slavo in a mo for costs of a new starter.
In the meantime, is there anything I can to test / lubricate ignition, so as to rule that area out first??

:worried:

Engineer
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 16:23
Started car this morning and doesn't seem to be as bad.
Will ring slavo in a mo for costs of a new starter.
In the meantime, is there anything I can to test / lubricate ignition, so as to rule that area out first??

:worried:I have some info regarding your problem to much to type out at the speed I can manage so PM phone number if you want.

stuAWD
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 16:43
Sorry cant help, but it has given me idea, what about posting pictures of bits of our motors, for other to guess what it is. Nice air box by the way.

MattB
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 23:33
Nice air box by the way.

Sorry Stu, but you've got me a little confused by this....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

MattB
Tuesday 22nd November 2005, 23:34
I have some info regarding your problem to much to type out at the speed I can manage so PM phone number if you want.

pm sent...