PDA

View Full Version : PAS pump?

RollingThunder
Monday 12th January 2015, 08:30
I think I know the answer but wanted to check before spending any money - my steering randomly goes heavier than usual then returns to normal. Sometimes its when cornering, sometimes its when doing lane changes, so small direction changes. I'm assuming its the pump that is starting to go? It doesn't seem to 'pulse', it just doesn't feel right... The fluid in the reservoir is always frothy too - its fresh fluid, changed when the rack was changed a few weeks back.

Car is a '98 V70R AWD

Thanks, Sam

MoleT-5R
Monday 12th January 2015, 08:37
got something similar on our v70r awd, but that is loosing fluid too, but has frothed up the oil when the reservoir was full, I'm assuming it to be knackered seals, but unsure whether its the ones in the pump or the ones in the rack, you can probably guarantee that I'll change the wrong one first and have to do the job twice.....:(

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th January 2015, 12:37
Stupid question but are the PAS fluid levels correct & has the system been properly bled?

RollingThunder
Tuesday 13th January 2015, 08:37
Yeah, thats what I suspected Dave but its all correct :(

I've bitten the bullet and bought a new pump. I know I could have got a good used one, but its always a bit hit n miss with these - I've had low mileage ones fail so its cheaper to get a brand new one in the long run. Paid just over £100 for a Meyle one with 12m warranty which seemed a good price.

Mole - if you do need a new rack, give these guys a try - http://www.carparts-mansfield.co.uk/ had great service from them when I got my AWD rack.

960kg
Tuesday 13th January 2015, 16:16
got something similar on our v70r awd, but that is loosing fluid too, but has frothed up the oil when the reservoir was full, I'm assuming it to be knackered seals, but unsure whether its the ones in the pump or the ones in the rack, you can probably guarantee that I'll change the wrong one first and have to do the job twice.....:(

Not quite sure what year this refers to but i believe it`s when the steering pump reservoir is separate on the inner wing next to the coolant tank!

If you take the cap off and look inside. If you can see the brass inlet pipe then the plastic coupling has fallen off. The cure is to hook it up from the bottom of the reservoir and re attach to the brass tube, you may have to pull off the inlet pipe to reposition the brass tube.

When this coupling falls off (very common occurence) the returning oil is sprayed around and froths up thus putting air in the pump and making noise.

With the coupling on the returning fluid exits below the surface......the frothing causes pressure build up in the reservoir and pushes the fluid out the breather in the cap.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 13th January 2015, 16:45
Not quite sure what year this refers to but i believe it`s when the steering pump reservoir is separate on the inner wing next to the coolant tank!

If you take the cap off and look inside. If you can see the brass inlet pipe then the plastic coupling has fallen off. The cure is to hook it up from the bottom of the reservoir and re attach to the brass tube, you may have to pull off the inlet pipe to reposition the brass tube.

When this coupling falls off (very common occurence) the returning oil is sprayed around and froths up thus putting air in the pump and making noise.

With the coupling on the returning fluid exits below the surface......the frothing causes pressure build up in the reservoir and pushes the fluid out the breather in the cap.

Thanks, I hadn't got around to looking at the problem, as we haven't been using the car for the last 2 years, but from your description I think that hits the nail square on the head, should be a nice simple fix when I get to work on this car in February ready for it's return to the road.