PDA

View Full Version : anti roll bar

craigoodwood
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:46
has anyone swapped their 21mm and fitted a 23mm to their 850? ive had a bit of a search but roll bar is so generic its near impossible for the search function...
in next couple of weeks im changing wishbones, droplinks, steering rack ball joints and roll bar mounts in one go... might as well stick a bigger roll bar on while im there :D

Saaamon
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:58
Been told updated rolls bars make a big difference.

AcidicDavey
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 22:08
I've got IPD bars on mine, they are 4mm thicker than standard.
I have to say, they make a huge difference. Much weightier steering and more precise, the car now inspires much more confidence.

Just changing the front bar however is likely to produce more understeer.

t5 pete
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 22:14
There's some different opinions on them some say they are great while others have said it's caused oversteer and understeer problems when pushed hard and also traction issues

JT
Thursday 8th January 2015, 17:25
I run IPD front and rear and was having all sorts of understeer problems until I uprated the droplinks and fitted solid subframe bushes.:)

Nealevo
Thursday 8th January 2015, 17:37
Just brought an IPD front should be here tomorrow so I will update when I get someone to fit it for me :)

craigoodwood
Thursday 8th January 2015, 18:50
hmmmm interesting, im not too worried about over or understeer as its not like i take it on a track, just to ease a bit of the wallow on the front is all im hoping for :D

stribo
Thursday 8th January 2015, 18:53
If the front end's wallowy you may want to look at polybushing it, an anti roll bar won't really sort that.

Saaamon
Thursday 8th January 2015, 18:57
What suspension do you have?

craigoodwood
Thursday 8th January 2015, 19:02
If the front end's wallowy you may want to look at polybushing it, an anti roll bar won't really sort that.

in my first post its says im changing everything at the same time, except the shocks and springs...
on the front ive got standard shocks with eibach springs and eibach springs on the back with prosport dampers
it doesnt really move much unless im on charge on a straight and the road dips :D

stribo
Thursday 8th January 2015, 19:07
in my first post its says im changing everything at the same time, except the shocks and springs...
on the front ive got standard shocks with eibach springs and eibach springs on the back with prosport dampers
it doesnt really move much unless im on charge on a straight and the road dips :D

Yeah, but you're changing them for new standard parts, which, with the best will in the world aren't going to be as sharp as polybushed wishbones. Front subframe bush inserts would probably help as well.

AcidicDavey
Thursday 8th January 2015, 19:12
+1 on what Steve just said.
The biggest difference for wallowiness I've found has been some of them subframe bush inserts.

JT
Thursday 8th January 2015, 19:35
ffs!

I run IPD front and rear and was having all sorts of understeer problems until I uprated the droplinks and fitted solid subframe bushes.:)
LOL

stribo
Thursday 8th January 2015, 19:57
ffs!

LOL

But with the inserts there's still a bit of give, so they're a bit more comfy. ;)

p fandango
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:12
But with the inserts there's still a bit of give, so they're a bit more comfy. ;)
puff ;)

JT
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:21

Says the man with one of the lowest cars on the forum!

hemihusky
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:24
having had a quick flick through i may go get myself some of those polly subframe inserts now. i was also looking at volvo do a subframe bushing thats apparently a lil more beefy? made of firmer rubber or something wondering if replacing them all with the harder compound then polly bush would help my boat of a R out. as atm i dont really have the time nor money for solid frame bushings

p fandango
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:25
Says the man with one of the slowest cars on the forum!
i've corrected it for you

stribo
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:31
i've corrected it for you

It's a hell of a lot quicker than your garden ornament. :P

craigoodwood
i can make some of these out of nylon at work...

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Misc/subframe_zps0a0ec62b.jpg

stribo
Says the man with one of the lowest cars on the forum!

That's why I need a bit of give. :D

JT
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:35
Back on topic.....

Solid bushes will be more expensive, but not that difficult to fit

Jamest5r
Thursday 8th January 2015, 21:10
i can make some of these out of nylon at work...

Interesting :)

hemihusky
Thursday 8th January 2015, 23:14
can solid bushings be installed with the frame in the car or do they need a good ammount of pressing? I imagine the fit being rather tight

JT
Friday 9th January 2015, 16:57
I put them in with the frame on the car, they go most of the way in, just use the bolt to squeeze the rest in:)

Jamest5r
Friday 9th January 2015, 17:14
What are the old ones like to remove?

p fandango
Friday 9th January 2015, 17:21
What are the old ones like to remove?
a bitch

Jamest5r
Friday 9th January 2015, 17:24
a bitch

Is that with your frame on the floor, thanks for the technical response :)

JT
Friday 9th January 2015, 18:10
bit of a fight, but a re-cip saw is quite handy!

should be a piece of cake on the floor, he's just a tart!

lets put it another way, the original ones wont be in any sort of condition to put back in! lol

Jamest5r
Friday 9th January 2015, 18:26
bit of a fight, but a re-cip saw is quite handy!

should be a piece of cake on the floor, he's just a tart!

lets put it another way, the original ones wont be in any sort of condition to put back in! lol

Brute force and ignorance then happy days I can do that :)

JT
Friday 9th January 2015, 19:12
Brute force and ignorance then happy days I can do that :)

That's the spirit!! Pmsl