PDA

View Full Version : Misfire/detonation

Tomcat
Thursday 1st January 2015, 13:07
Noticed a few days ago that when I took the car out for a spin it seemed to be missing a little at full throttle, when I took it out last night and opened it up it missed severely. Other than this miss at full throttle the car drives great otherwise, suppose it could be the plugs getting a bit fouled up as they've been in there a while now.

deathrider311271
Thursday 1st January 2015, 13:49
if you can do some live reading it could well be your knock sensors matey

Tomcat
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 20:48
Oh... I actually got a reply,lol.. Thanks Simon, it's sorted itself in the meantime. Think it could just have been some bad fuel (tesco Ultimate crap), it's been ok since.

stribo
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:00
You should know better than to use that crap Craig. ;)

Tomcat
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:12
You should know better than to use that crap Craig. ;)

Lmfao. Well in my defence the only shell station near me is right under the M6 so they charge the same as they do at the services, I'm not paying through the nose for it,lol.

stribo
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:34
That's where we had to go when the V70 ran out of petrol. lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:37
Lol.., DOh!!.. Touchy subject.. Sorry bud..

stribo
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:40
No worries mate, all added to the adventure. ;)

deathrider311271
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 23:17
i can tell you now it wont be Tesco crap as you put it, the Tesco super unleaded fuel has one of the highest anti knock (methenol) content of any fuel in the country. It will be something failing.

Biff
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 23:26
i can tell you now it wont be Tesco crap as you put it, the Tesco super unleaded fuel has one of the highest anti knock (methenol) content of any fuel in the country. It will be something failing.

I use tesco's momentum. Your deluded if you think tesco's super is worse than any other high octane fuel, it most probably was refined in the same place.

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 23:43
Yup, I use Momentum too.

Does me fine in the remapped T5, and the very touchy 460 Turbo loves it! ;)

Oddly though, my 960 prefers Shell diesel. Weird.

deathrider311271
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 23:52
I use tesco's momentum. Your deluded if you think tesco's super is worse than any other high octane fuel, it most probably was refined in the same place.

i can tell you for a fact its all refined at the same refineries, the only difference between them is the additives, i know all this for a fact because i used to take the samples to be tested and asked the people that know the questions and they actually confirmed Tesco and Shell are the better fuels to use

Dream3r
Thursday 8th January 2015, 00:05
Ethanol they add to it. I notice less knock with it than optimax and it's under £1 a litre with a club card and two kids and a Mrs to feed lol

Biff
Thursday 8th January 2015, 00:45
i can tell you for a fact its all refined at the same refineries, the only difference between them is the additives, i know all this for a fact because i used to take the samples to be tested and asked the people that know the questions and they actually confirmed Tesco and Shell are the better fuels to use

Sorry Simon I ment the actual refinery as in the big cone its produced in. I made a nice earner working in Stanlow refinery in Ellesmere Port. The higher up the cone you go the better the octane so it's basically the same stuff. It's lower down the refinery is where the difference is & that's where the regular fuel gets siphoned off. Super market regular is poor but you need stuffing if you put that in a high performance engine.
When the fuel crisis was on I think it proved how much of the UK is fed from Stanlow.
For the record momentum in wrexham is apparently going down to 112.9
Soooo happy!

M-R-P
Thursday 8th January 2015, 00:58
The sweed drinks loads of that tesco stuff but doesn't go as well as it does with v-power. Smoother too

jamesy12345
Thursday 8th January 2015, 06:41
Ethanol they add to it. I notice less knock with it than optimax and it's under £1 a litre with a club card and two kids and a Mrs to feed lol

Sorry Simon I ment the actual refinery as in the big cone its produced in. I made a nice earner working in Stanlow refinery in Ellesmere Port. The higher up the cone you go the better the octane so it's basically the same stuff. It's lower down the refinery is where the difference is & that's where the regular fuel gets siphoned off. Super market regular is poor but you need stuffing if you put that in a high performance engine.
When the fuel crisis was on I think it proved how much of the UK is fed from Stanlow.
For the record momentum in wrexham is apparently going down to 112.9
Soooo happy!

don't worry lads soon will be going up again!! America using excess supply to punish Russia, hence oil price down, they'll get bored of it soon

jdavis
Thursday 8th January 2015, 09:47
I noticed a significant difference in performance when i filled with Tesco momentum. as much as it may have been a bad batch/pump i'll not use it again. Vpower everytime,

960kg
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:05

Yup, I use Momentum too.

Does me fine in the remapped T5, and the very touchy 460 Turbo loves it! ;)

Oddly though, my 960 prefers Shell diesel. Weird.

OK.......so you both use Tesco Momentum......well go back to Shell Nitro when the tank is low and report back after a bit of use.....Lol

I had to dive in a Tesco to get Momentum when i got caught out with a low tank and traffic jams.....used Momentum and thought this is ok i will carry on and use it although mpg was lower......well, i had a second tank full and then had to get Shell as the Tesco was closed with tankers in there........the result was night and day and carried on with Shell ever since .......only put Shell Nitro Diesel in the Merc as well, superb stuff...

Tomcat
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:34
Doesnt help me as I'm buggered if I'm paying motorway prices for Shell so its either Tesco or nothing sadly.

M-R-P
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:40
Might be worth having a look at the BPS if changing plugs/leads/dizzy doesn't help - a dirty/failing BPS can make the car think it's over/under boosting.

jamesy12345
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:48
Doesnt help me as I'm buggered if I'm paying motorway prices for Shell so its either Tesco or nothing sadly.

Not many Shell stations round your way...I can only see 2 on the map, one on Warrington Road

Plenty of BP stations. I would rather run out of fuel and walk than pay BP prices :) once drove into some motorway services with a fuel leak and knackered gauge...almost bugger all fuel left but drove straight out again when I realised it was BP. worked for them before too, awful

Ettienne
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:57
Just put momentum in mine, 99 Ron

£1.10 a litre here so not too bad.

£104.9for normal unleaded

Tomcat
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:58
Not many Shell stations round your way...I can only see 2 on the map, one on Warrington Road

Plenty of BP stations. I would rather run out of fuel and walk than pay BP prices :) once drove into some motorway services with a fuel leak and knackered gauge...almost bugger all fuel left but drove straight out again when I realised it was BP. worked for them before too, awful

The one your showing on warrington road isn't there any more, it s now houses. Know what you mean about Bp,lol.

960kg
Thursday 8th January 2015, 14:14

No...you don`t tell any lies Simon...

My Father used to work for BP from 1951 to about 1978 and even then all the petrol tankers from different companys used to fill up at the gantrys at the Isle Of Grain Refinery....i have seen them do it when going to pick up my Father from work sometimes.......

It is the additives that make the difference tho`...

BP Ultimate fuel is as bad as it`s price ...my V70 T5 hated it.....it is so obvious that BP are clawing money back from the public to balance there books with the Gulf episode!...

Although Tom you say you wont pay Shell prices.......you ought to look further than your nose..... as there fuel minimizes any running problems together with cleaning all the system and burning cleaner gives better top performance and more MPG .....how can you use any other!

Jamest5r
Thursday 8th January 2015, 16:18
No...you don`t tell any lies Simon...

My Father used to work for BP from 1951 to about 1978 and even then all the petrol tankers from different companys used to fill up at the gantrys at the Isle Of Grain Refinery....i have seen them do it when going to pick up my Father from work sometimes.......

It is the additives that make the difference tho`...

BP Ultimate fuel is as bad as it`s price ...my V70 T5 hated it.....it is so obvious that BP are clawing money back from the public to balance there books with the Gulf episode!...

Although Tom you say you wont pay Shell prices.......you ought to look further than your nose..... as there fuel minimizes any running problems together with cleaning all the system and burning cleaner gives better top performance and more MPG .....how can you use any other!

Yep I can confirm that your old v70 hates BP, an extra 2 miles for me to get shell but works out cheaper :)

Biff
Thursday 8th January 2015, 18:30
I'd say mines worse on shell mpg wise but I've had cars with exactly the same engines & one has liked shell & one didn't.
Mine drives better on momentum I reckon but again I have a different map.

hemihusky
Thursday 8th January 2015, 20:17
my old red T5 was a extremely picky bugger. was rica mapped and i had a slight idiot moment first time i came to fill it up driving home. put about £10 of regular then realised oh bugger n v powered the rest. but when the standard went through lord it hated it. my current T5R runs fine on shell standard. n the mpg seems to sit between 21 and 23 too n from work dunno why it keeps fluctuating as i drive the same every day. put V power in it and ill get about 25 ish mpg.