PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 P2 2.4 260 bhp Ex Services Remap??

sanj
Monday 29th December 2014, 19:47
Hi All,

I am new to the forums and looking to get my V70 ex police \ ex ambulance remapped.

The car itself is very mechanically sound and drives very well for a ex services car.

I have been looking around at garages that offer remaps but they are hard to judge and somewhat trust with out a personal recommendation.

My cousin and I went to HLM in Bromsgrove as I saw a few other VPC members went their and gave good reviews. When I got there the guy just basically SLATED my car for about 3 to 4 minutes saying that ex police cars are rubbish and it "Will Break Soon", and remapping "Will Break it Sooner". Honestly, it left me and my cousin speechless as the guy didn't even walk within 20yards of my car, never mind taking a look under the bonnet. At that point we both lost all confidence in him and couldn't wait to leave, but had to hang around as my cousin was getting his V70R dyno'd - but even that didn't work as the computer kept on crashing so no dyno results either. We were there for 1.5 hours and it wasn't a nice experience - complete waste of time. I understand if he had a bad experience in the past with remapping ex police cars but no need to take it out on new business.

Annnyway... rant over.

Does anyone have any experience with getting ex police V70 T5's remapped? And wheres the best place to go preferably in the Midlands.

Apologies if there are already threads around this.

Cheers
Sanj

stribo
Monday 29th December 2014, 19:57
MRP's the ex plod guru, and he had his remapped at..............................................HL M. :slap:

Welcome to the forum BTW.

claymore
Monday 29th December 2014, 20:05
Hi All,

I am new to the forums and looking to get my V70 ex police \ ex ambulance remapped.

The car itself is very mechanically sound and drives very well for a ex services car.

I have been looking around at garages that offer remaps but they are hard to judge and somewhat trust with out a personal recommendation.

My cousin and I went to HLM in Bromsgrove as I saw a few other VPC members went their and gave good reviews. When I got there the guy just basically SLATED my car for about 3 to 4 minutes saying that ex police cars are rubbish and it "Will Break Soon", and remapping "Will Break it Sooner". Honestly, it left me and my cousin speechless as the guy didn't even walk within 20yards of my car, never mind taking a look under the bonnet. At that point we both lost all confidence in him and couldn't wait to leave, but had to hang around as my cousin was getting his V70R dyno'd - but even that didn't work as the computer kept on crashing so no dyno results either. We were there for 1.5 hours and it wasn't a nice experience - complete waste of time. I understand if he had a bad experience in the past with remapping ex police cars but no need to take it out on new business.

Annnyway... rant over.

Does anyone have any experience with getting ex police V70 T5's remapped? And wheres the best place to go preferably in the Midlands.

Apologies if there are already threads around this.

Cheers
Sanj

Ahh, the joys of Hamish Lindsey, you are probably better off having a chat with Dream3r on this very forum

ExternalError
Monday 29th December 2014, 20:06
Do a stage 0 check all vac hoses boost pipes have the engine pressure tested then get some bosch green/ vxr injectors and talk to dreamer on here and hamish can be taken the wrong way as he is pretty blunt, i personally use grn in smethwick or shems in nottingham

don kalmar union
Monday 29th December 2014, 20:11
You should have no problem at all with increasing the engine outputs of an ex police or ambulance service Volvo. They will have been well used.... but more importantly well maintained.

I can offer you MTE's Swedish written software for your car for £395 including VAT that will give you enhanced outputs of 330bhp with 480nm of torque. You can get a small increase above that figure but you do need to fit a complete replacement exhaust of a good quality, downpipe with special cat plus 'cat-back' which will cost you around £1000.

You install this software yourself so you have no need to travel. You use MTE's unique 'Softloader' as an interface between your car's OBD port and an XP equipped laptop, some later laptops running in compatibility mode will do the job.. I loan that Softloader against a fully refundable deposit of £155.

please call me on 01494 785508 or email don@kalmar-union.com if I can help further.

Don.

V70 Graham
Monday 29th December 2014, 20:31
Ah....you met Hamish then lol

Marmite kinda guy, can be entertaining though.

sanj
Monday 29th December 2014, 21:45
MRP's the ex plod guru, and he had his remapped at..............................................HL M. :slap:

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Is it..... he wouldn't even consider mapping mine.

stribo
Monday 29th December 2014, 21:50
Is it..... he wouldn't even consider mapping mine.

Strange, his has done over 200,000 miles, so is much more likely to expire than yours.

sanj
Monday 29th December 2014, 22:04
Strange, his has done over 200,000 miles, so is much more likely to expire than yours.

I no... he didn't want to map my cousins V70R 1998 due to age 176k milage

M-R-P
Monday 29th December 2014, 22:24
'Ello.

Interesting reading this. Hamish is rather blunt and enjoys a rant but to turn a car away is a bit strange.
Mine went in with over 200k on the clock and, although he warned me not to expect it to reach "the magic 300" as he put it, was quite happy to rag the nuts off it on the dyno, map it and rag it some more to make sure it worked.

Unless he spotted something like smoke from your exhaust while idling which put him off, I can't see why he's refuse to map it (not having a working dyno could make him want to delay mapping I would imagine).
The dyno played up when I went to have mine mapped too - think it just doesn't like ex plods :)

Dream3r
Tuesday 30th December 2014, 00:20
My advice is to speak to Shem (ShemTek) he can give it a going over and fit any parts it needs and crucially datalog it with my software (no charge from me just his time) it to make sure it's happy first. He's based in Nottingham, he can also resell my maps.

They remap really well, around 350BHP can be had, with the right parts and they don't need to cost the earth.

sanj
Tuesday 30th December 2014, 09:14
Thanks all for your replies.

sanj
Tuesday 30th December 2014, 18:01
My advice is to speak to Shem (ShemTek) he can give it a going over and fit any parts it needs and crucially datalog it with my software (no charge from me just his time) it to make sure it's happy first. He's based in Nottingham, he can also resell my maps.

They remap really well, around 350BHP can be had, with the right parts and they don't need to cost the earth.

Thanks Dream3r been meaning to get in touch with you. How much we talking for stage 1 bhp and price?
Cheers
Sanj

Dream3r
Wednesday 31st December 2014, 00:10
300+bhp easy. IMO injectors are needed to push it up towards 330-350 for the stage 2.

My price is 320 for the stage 1

sanj
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 20:43
So..

I had been speaking to Shem (shemtek_racing) for a couple of days about remapping my car with Dream3r's map.

Shem is based in nottingham and I was a bit hesitant of travelling there from Birmingham as you never know what you going to get or who you going to meet! but I had confidence in Shem and got to his garage on Monday morning. We talked a little while he hooked up his laptop to my car. He sent me out for a drive to collect some data. I came back after 10mins and then he decided to take my car out again as I didn't push it hard enough lol.

The data showed the MAF value was slightly low and Shem expected there was some kind of air leak, so he got under my hood and start looking around. Nothing major was found, just a loose pipe tighter and a crack in the turbo inlet/charge pipe (see pic) where the pipe meets the clip that is screwed. 27816 (After close inspection when I got back home I noticed that the crack didn't penetrate the pipe...so that was a good thing)

We ran some data again and the MAF value picked up slightly. Shem then decided that everything was in order but advised to do a compression test (any help on that?) to see if I have an air leak somewhere. He then loaded Dream3r REMAPP!! I was soon on my way....

Immediately I noticed the difference. The throttle response is virtually instant. The high revs on start up got deleted and the car idles considerably better. Power delivery is very progressive and smooth and it just keeps on coming! My favorite gear is 2nd, and 3rd..its crazy - going to take some getting use it. My MPG has even slightly improved, nothing major but better than before. I definitely enjoy driving it more - I mainly just cruise but now I have the throttle response and power for those nice blasts of speed :B_steerin. My pipercross air filter sounds much better now, more throatier - just what I wanted.

Highly recommended. Cheers

:thewave:

V70 Graham
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:03
Glad to hear you had the outcome you were looking for, well worth the trip eh lol

Dream3r
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:08
So..

I had been speaking to Shem (shemtek_racing) for a couple of days about remapping my car with Dream3r's map.

Shem is based in nottingham and I was a bit hesitant of travelling there from Birmingham as you never know what you going to get or who you going to meet! but I had confidence in Shem and got to his garage on Monday morning. We talked a little while he hooked up his laptop to my car. He sent me out for a drive to collect some data. I came back after 10mins and then he decided to take my car out again as I didn't push it hard enough lol.

The data showed the MAF value was slightly low and Shem expected there was some kind of air leak, so he got under my hood and start looking around. Nothing major was found, just a loose pipe tighter and a crack in the turbo inlet/charge pipe (see pic) where the pipe meets the clip that is screwed. 27816 (After close inspection when I got back home I noticed that the crack didn't penetrate the pipe...so that was a good thing)

We ran some data again and the MAF value picked up slightly. Shem then decided that everything was in order but advised to do a compression test (any help on that?) to see if I have an air leak somewhere. He then loaded Dream3r REMAPP!! I was soon on my way....

Immediately I noticed the difference. The throttle response is virtually instant. The high revs on start up got deleted and the car idles considerably better. Power delivery is very progressive and smooth and it just keeps on coming! My favorite gear is 2nd, and 3rd..its just insane. Its going to take some time to get use to it. My MPG has even slightly improved, nothing major but better than before. I definitely enjoy driving it more - I mainly just cruise but now I have the throttle response and power for those nice blasts of speed :B_steerin. My pipercross air filter sounds much better now, more throatier - just what I wanted.

Highly recommended. Cheers

:thewave:

I think you have an outcome of both a keen eye looking at the car (slight airleak was found) and a decent remap.

Good combo I think and worth the trip ;)

stribo
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:08
Consider yourself lucky mate, it'll be over 300 miles round trip when I take our R there for a remap.

850 T5s
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:15
great result , time to destroy some tyres!

shepbomb
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:19
Sounds impressive, now enjoy that midrange torque

sanj
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 21:23
I think you have an outcome of both a keen eye looking at the car (slight airleak was found) and a decent remap.

Good combo I think and worth the trip ;)

Well said!

ExternalError
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 22:14
Nice review it really does change the car did you upgrade your injectors or just stick with the stock ones if not its really worth doing and getting the map tweaked for them. Shems great, were you a bit stumped at actually finding his place when you went, I was given an address and no other instructions after driving up and down twice i chanced the little turn off and managed to find him.

I'm due to see Shem this month for a few serious upgrades (limited slip dif, 3" decat downpipe and intercooler) and getting my map tweaked for them should be fun. You should come to the shewsbury meet on the 25th Jan as it isnt to far away and a nice run out from Birmingham, if you decide to come we can arrange to convoy down and you can see how a custom tuned dreamer map goes.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 23:33
When I take someone out who hasn't been in the car before, I hold it at 30mph in 2nd gear for a while then stamp the throttle ;) I've never had a reaction I could repeat on a public forum lol but yeah, 2nd and 3rd are a laugh! 3rd gear from 45mph is also a giggle and a good way of dispatching scoobies and golfs.
Nice to see another "white V70" getting some well deserved tweaks.

Enjoy :D

Dream3r
Thursday 8th January 2015, 08:08
Thinking about it he's probably the only garage in the UK that can both fix these cars and properly datalog them.

He's a reseller of mine so has ecm-tech's technology at his disposal. And me.

Glad your happy mate.

T5RatherAmusin
Thursday 8th January 2015, 09:09
good to here a great team coming together!
you should create a team name lol

Dream3r
Thursday 8th January 2015, 09:33
He's his own man/business, good luck to him :)

sanj
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:32
Consider yourself lucky mate, it'll be over 300 miles round trip when I take our R there for a remap.

It's worth the mileage, especially if you having trouble finding someone 1 good local.

sanj
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:34
Nice review it really does change the car did you upgrade your injectors or just stick with the stock ones if not its really worth doing and getting the map tweaked for them. Shems great, were you a bit stumped at actually finding his place when you went, I was given an address and no other instructions after driving up and down twice i chanced the little turn off and managed to find him.

I'm due to see Shem this month for a few serious upgrades (limited slip dif, 3" decat downpipe and intercooler) and getting my map tweaked for them should be fun. You should come to the shewsbury meet on the 25th Jan as it isnt to far away and a nice run out from Birmingham, if you decide to come we can arrange to convoy down and you can see how a custom tuned dreamer map goes.

Everything on the car is stock... I'll let my wallet recover before I do any more mods.

Yeh I couldn't find it either, went past it a couple of times then gave up parked outside the Cantonese food place and phoned him.... He was like it's behind u lol Doh!

Oh yeh I'm interested in coming to the 25th.. let me look up where shewsbury is!

M-R-P
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:38
It's worth the mileage, especially if you having trouble finding someone 1 good local.

I covered over 470 miles the day I got mine remapped, the drive home was much more fun than the drive up :D

ExternalError
Thursday 8th January 2015, 12:50
Yeh I couldn't find it either, went past it a couple of times then gave up parked outside the Cantonese food place and phoned him.... He was like it's behind u lol Doh!

Oh yeh I'm interested in coming to the 25th.. let me look up where shewsbury is!

Its about 45 miles away up the M6 come off on the M54 then straight on past telford on the A5

the M54/A5 is a nice flat bit of road, we meet at the Two Henrys pub pop the bonnets and see each others mods and talk about our cars and offer advice and help we then go inside and have a drink and something to eat before going on our merry way. The best time to meet people on the forum is to attend either some of the pub meets, trax in the summer, a rolling road day or the come along on an evo triangle day/weekend as they are always good and have a bit of fun driving around some lovely welsh roads and experince some of the lovely country side (just dont let claymore or Moley talk you into going up intoany welsh hill tracks) as generally most of the people at the drag strip are in the queue waiting to race so you dont get to chat much then.

expolicev70t5
Thursday 8th January 2015, 13:22
Was it stage one or stage 2 you went for on the Dreamer map?

ExternalError
Thursday 8th January 2015, 14:27

Mines a stage 2 custom map as I had a few things tweaked as I have shimmed liners and ported and polished head and methanol injection 3" cat back exhuast and vxr injectors so needed the stage 2 mapping tweaked a little for these it will be tweaked further once my new stuff go on

sanj
Thursday 8th January 2015, 16:24

Stage 1 mate

sanj
Thursday 8th January 2015, 16:58
When I take someone out who hasn't been in the car before, I hold it at 30mph in 2nd gear for a while then stamp the throttle ;) I've never had a reaction I could repeat on a public forum lol but yeah, 2nd and 3rd are a laugh! 3rd gear from 45mph is also a giggle and a good way of dispatching scoobies and golfs.
Nice to see another "white V70" getting some well deserved tweaks.

Enjoy :D

I hear u. My take off is at 3k revs = happy days.

M-R-P
Thursday 8th January 2015, 17:12
You don't need to wait for 3k with your engine but it is where the fun starts ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th January 2015, 17:13
You should see Hamish's face light up everytime I turn up with my C70.

sanj
Friday 9th January 2015, 14:30
True... But don't like ragging the car off the line. Prefer to accelerate once It's all sppppoooled up !

M-R-P
Friday 9th January 2015, 15:15
You should see Hamish's face light up everytime I turn up with my C70.

Turn up? Hasn't it lived there for the last 6 months? Pmsl

sanj
Sunday 11th January 2015, 10:02

Tell me more about the limited slip diff that your going for? Got a link to the part(s)? I would love to get one but probably not any time soon. I think as stock it's an open differential ?

V70 Graham
Sunday 11th January 2015, 10:24
Tell me more about the limited slip diff that your going for? Got a link to the part(s)? I would love to get one but probably not any time soon. I think as stock it's an open differential ?

Another one bitten by the tuning/modifying bug lol

sanj
Sunday 11th January 2015, 11:39
Another one bitten by the tuning/modifying bug lol

I no.. lol it's really bad the Mrs is being too patient with me lol

ExternalError
Sunday 11th January 2015, 12:11

Yes its an open dif as stock im going for a plate dif similar to the one linked below, i'm getting it from shem for a decent price

http://www.corbymotorsport.com/volvo-gripper-diff-6spd-m66-transmission-p-10755.html

The reason i'm going for this is because I'm coming to the end of my initial project spec with this car so wanted to round it all off with something that would help me make the most out of the gains I have made as once the intercooler and downpipe are fitted I will be at the top end of the turbos capabilities and to go any further would mean a fair bit of work and cash so I thought that I would focus my efforts on making the most out of what I have and also will give me a stronger platform if I do decide to change the turbo at a later date.

If I were you I would look at getting a full custom exhaust system, intercooler, bigger injectors and improve the suspension, suspension bushings and droplinks before going for a diff but thats just my opinion and the direction I took mine in

don kalmar union
Sunday 11th January 2015, 12:53
If you check here on my website: http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-s60_s80_xc70_v70_-transmission/

You will find the KU diff that you are proposing to buy.

If you can contact me either on 01494 785508 or don@kalmar-union.com I can off you a very competitive price as the originator and developer of this particular item, in fairness with some considerable contribution from Tim Williams in the recent past.

Don.

sanj
Sunday 11th January 2015, 13:05
Yes its an open dif as stock im going for a plate dif similar to the one linked below, i'm getting it from shem for a decent price

http://www.corbymotorsport.com/volvo-gripper-diff-6spd-m66-transmission-p-10755.html

The reason i'm going for this is because I'm coming to the end of my initial project spec with this car so wanted to round it all off with something that would help me make the most out of the gains I have made as once the intercooler and downpipe are fitted I will be at the top end of the turbos capabilities and to go any further would mean a fair bit of work and cash so I thought that I would focus my efforts on making the most out of what I have and also will give me a stronger platform if I do decide to change the turbo at a later date.

If I were you I would look at getting a full custom exhaust system, intercooler, bigger injectors and improve the suspension, suspension bushings and droplinks before going for a diff but thats just my opinion and the direction I took mine in

Thanks... you are not the first one to give me that advice. I'll look into it. Cheers.

Dream3r
Sunday 11th January 2015, 14:03
Also take a look at Wavetrac, the St one should fit and has some good reviews.