PDA

View Full Version : Success! (to a degree..)

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 06:51
Well after depressingly watching my economy plummet to 24.9 on a trip to Norwich last night, Wonder of all wonders my Engine Light has GONE OUT! All by itself!

Pulled away ffrom the Dartford Bridge and it just went off, couldnt believe it.

The only thing I did notice on the way up, was the wavering temperature guage. It was in the bottom quarter most of the time, rising up and down over the course of the journey to halfway up and back again.

When I stopped and started again it went to halfway up as normal, but then began its tricks again.

I thought this somehow might be connected to my light problem if the temp sensor was going, but now thats gone off, I cant be sure!

Was going to get the codes read today but Ill probably cancel that now the lights gone off, any ideas about the temp guage?

Cheers

Andrew
Monday 21st November 2005, 07:18
Would be nice to know what caused it though eh!

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 07:21
True! Will the previous codes be stored even though the light has gone out?

BTW Ill have to stop singing The SMiths 'There is a light that never goes out..'

Andrew
Monday 21st November 2005, 07:28
True! Will the previous codes be stored even though the light has gone out?

BTW Ill have to stop singing The SMiths 'There is a light that never goes out..'

Yes codes should be stored until read and cleared or cache is full.

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 07:31
Hmm, could do with saving thirty quid though!

Andrew
Monday 21st November 2005, 07:32

I'm working on getting this laptop up and running I'll stick your name on the list.

Your fairly local to me right ?

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 08:48
Ta - Im usually going npast Cambs at least once a month

The Flying Banana
Monday 21st November 2005, 08:50

Haynes manual tells you how to read the codes easy and clear them..gives a full print out of what the codes mean

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 08:59
Ive got an S70 with the OBDII Im afraid! Cheers though!

The Flying Banana
Monday 21st November 2005, 09:10
Ive got an S70 with the OBDII Im afraid! Cheers though!

Sorry KC, half asleep still, should have noticed that in the sig!!!!

siamblue
Monday 21st November 2005, 09:11
Hi Kent i was out and about on Friday in -2 temps, my car was reading on the 4th notch but mine was stable all of the time, and i put it down to my induction mods and the cold weather, as it has read that low before.

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 09:28
Hmm, I would usually expect it to be about midway. I came up the A12 and it was 3 degrees, so I didnt think it was that affecting it too much. Im about to go out and check the coolant, turn the car over, see what the temp says, and hopefully the EMS light will have stayed off, and then give SW Autos a ring to put them off today.

It was colder by the time I got to Dartford!

Cheers mate.

S60D5
Monday 21st November 2005, 09:40
Hmm, I would usually expect it to be about midway. I came up the A12 and it was 3 degrees, so I didnt think it was that affecting it too much. Im about to go out and check the coolant, turn the car over, see what the temp says, and hopefully the EMS light will have stayed off, and then give SW Autos a ring to put them off today.

It was colder by the time I got to Dartford!

Cheers mate.

The CTS well cause the EM warning light to come on...

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 10:11
Cool, actually this is what I am hoping.

Just been out in the car (good excuse to go and get a bacon and egg doorstep.. mm..) Anyhow, the EMS light is still off (WOOHOO!) but the temp sensor is still yoyoing.

Rang SW Autos theyre going to take a look at it.

dicky b t5
Monday 21st November 2005, 11:13
KC , I had a similar thing with my Temp gauge not long ago...I put a new Thermostat in , been fine since...it now sits at a tad over half way...!

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 15:26
Cheers for all the replies guys. The Coolant Temp Sensor had triggered the EMS, so Ive had that replaced, though its still a bit up and down. Going to keep an eye on it and go from there.

The guys at SW Autos were v good, going to be handy to know where they are.

Hopefully the thing will stabilise now!

siamblue
Monday 21st November 2005, 15:28
Hi Mate glad you got it sorted, I will be down there next month for my MOT and some servicing.

Kent Canary
Monday 21st November 2005, 15:38
Cheers Gary, mentioned you to Stuart he obviously knew of you.

Kent Canary
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 18:29
Well despite the CTS being changed the car is showing classic signs of the thermostat failure in an open position (temp guage still low, rising in heavy traffic, low heat from the vents). Getting it changed by a mate tomorrow, quite suprised the part was only £15 from Volvo.

dicky b t5
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 20:35
Same as what mine was doing KC, Problem solved..

Kent Canary
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 20:39
Same as what mine was doing KC, Problem solved..

Ta! Im sure mine will go the same way! Cheers for the advice.

KC

Kent Canary
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 20:20
New thermostat, job done. Runs like a dream again! Roasting cabin too. Watched the fuel economoy go from 26.8 to 31.9. Lovely!

Colin 850 T5
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 20:44
Isn't it nice when it turns out to be a cheap mechanical part instead of some horribly expensive ECU?

Doesn't always happen that way but once in a while...

Engineer
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 20:51
New thermostat, job done. Runs like a dream again! Roasting cabin too. Watched the fuel economoy go from 26.8 to 31.9. Lovely!Nice to see a thermo fail safe, but how do you get 31mpg?

Kent Canary
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 21:16
Isn't it nice when it turns out to be a cheap mechanical part instead of some horribly expensive ECU?

Doesn't always happen that way but once in a while...

I know! Rejoice all round!

Nice to see a thermo fail safe, but how do you get 31mpg?

I dont know! Rejoice all round!

Methinks Optimax + New stat + cold night + smooth driving + motorway for some of the journey = 31.9

twotrees
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 22:01
Well after depressingly watching my economy plummet to 24.9 on a trip to Norwich last night, Wonder of all wonders my Engine Light has GONE OUT! All by itself!

Pulled away ffrom the Dartford Bridge and it just went off, couldnt believe it.

The only thing I did notice on the way up, was the wavering temperature guage. It was in the bottom quarter most of the time, rising up and down over the course of the journey to halfway up and back again.

When I stopped and started again it went to halfway up as normal, but then began its tricks again.

I thought this somehow might be connected to my light problem if the temp sensor was going, but now thats gone off, I cant be sure!

Was going to get the codes read today but Ill probably cancel that now the lights gone off, any ideas about the temp guage?

Cheers
It may well be that the temp gage is teling you that it geting to hot. so the temp gage for the light is comeing on to.

S60D5
Wednesday 30th November 2005, 23:23
I know! Rejoice all round!

I dont know! Rejoice all round!

Methinks Optimax + New stat + cold night + smooth driving + motorway for some of the journey = 31.9

Yep, for sure.

On 97/98 Ron, on the cruise in France at 70mph I could get 33-34mpg average on the computer in the T5, which is about 32-32.5mpg calculated.

D5 will do around ~70mpg in the exact same conditions :B_steerin