PDA

View Full Version : V50 T5 advice

WoodyWP
Saturday 27th December 2014, 12:46
Hi all,

I'm looking at selling my V40 for a newer V50. Ideally I'm after a T5 with auto box, is there anything I should look out for? I don't do many miles at the moment so don't think a diesel is right. What about the 2.4i or are they just a waste of money when compared to the T5?

I've had Volvos for quite a few years so know the models fairly well.

Cheers

Santa
Saturday 27th December 2014, 16:31
I've tried the 2.4 non turbo in the S40. It was nice enough and sounded good.......extremely lacking compared to the T5 though in terms of torque and outright pace. (Obviously).

If you are considering a T5 you will probably be disappointed by the 2.4i

WoodyWP
Saturday 27th December 2014, 16:35
Cheers Santa.
That's what I thought. I would probably consider a diesel over the 2.4, so T5 hunting it is.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 27th December 2014, 19:32
From what I gather they are a fairly solid car, the auto box can handle quite a bit of power and abuse too without too much hassle which is a bonus over the earlier P1 T5's.

As for things to go wrong, not sure about the lump in those (Lance is the man) however the running gear and ancillaries are all fairly reliable and parts are cheap and easy to replace.

Wheel bearings and alternators are a common go early component more so the alternators however again having just replaced one on a friends its two hours work and £130 for a new one from Eurocarparts.

I would however avoid anything other than a D5 if you consider a diesel, the 2.0D which I have is a little underpowered and the average economy is poor for the engine size (45mpg general driving).

JamesT5
Saturday 27th December 2014, 23:53
The 2.4 T5 is essentially the 2.4NT 'on steroids'. :D

claymore
Sunday 28th December 2014, 10:15

What's a 2.4NT?

stribo
Sunday 28th December 2014, 10:26
Does anyone want to tell the retard that the V50 T5 is a 2.5, obviously not as good as a 2.3, but that's a whole different story.

Woody, the T5 has loads of tuning potential, if that's your thing, as it's basically the same engine Ford use in the Focus ST/RS, but a different stage of tune. :D

Santa
Sunday 28th December 2014, 10:50

Not sure what that has to do with a V50 T5?

What's a 2.4NT?

Think he's tried to invent an acronym for non turbo

M-R-P
Sunday 28th December 2014, 10:59
Does anyone want to tell the retard that the V50 T5 is a 2.5, obviously not as good as a 2.3, but that's a whole different story.

Woody, the T5 has loads of tuning potential, if that's your thing, as it's basically the same engine Ford use in the Focus ST/RS, but a different stage of tune. :D
You'd need to shim the block if tuning, the RS engine has cobalt lined bores to stop them cracking.

I've seen a few posts on voc regarding electrical gremlins on the newer focus platforms, mainly the cem in the passenger footwell playing up due to its lack of protection from people kicking it. Chavboy's focus had the same problem.

claymore
Sunday 28th December 2014, 11:00
Not sure what that has to do with a V50 T5?

Think he's tried to invent an acronym for non turbo

Ahh, he ment 2.4NA, that makes sense now, just James getting it wrong again :)

Ettienne
Sunday 28th December 2014, 11:12
buy one with the tf80sc box and even better one that starts 6j (on the box) as this has the updated valve body and basically is ultra reliable.

WoodyWP
Sunday 28th December 2014, 11:32
Daft question but how can I tell what box it has in? I'm probably after 2008/9MY if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all the other info too.

I did use to have an S60 T5 and just enjoyed it too much so want to go back to something a 'bit nippy'.

LiamT4
Sunday 28th December 2014, 12:08
buy one with the tf80sc box and even better one that starts 6j (on the box) as this has the updated valve body and basically is ultra reliable.

Which years were these boxes fitted on the s40/v50s?

JamesT5
Sunday 28th December 2014, 16:47
What's a 2.4NT?

Come on Colin................ Just to confirm 2.4NT = 2.4 Non Turbo.

NA means - Not Available or Not Applicable in my language. :D

Ettienne
Sunday 28th December 2014, 16:54
Which years were these boxes fitted on the s40/v50s?

I only know in ref to the v70s but they are mid 06 onwards, believe me the earlier ones are prone to break and rubbish.

Basically volvo updated them and left them alone for the last 9 years and fitted them to the polestar and v8s without issue.

Mines on 145k and still ok

Ettienne
Sunday 28th December 2014, 16:57
What's a 2.4NT?

Normally aspirated is how 99.9% of mechanically minded people would classify it, at a push possibly just injection.

Nt is just going to confuse people, almost like an abbreviation for NOTE, or could be nitrous turbo?

claymore
Sunday 28th December 2014, 17:05

And again, this is the problem with you, you can't even get simple mechanical terminology right. This is a performance car forum, either get your terminology right or don't post.

stribo
Sunday 28th December 2014, 18:12
The trouble with using the term non turbo is it's ambiguous, a 5L Jaguar with a supercharger is non turbo, but still force inducted, which is why we use the term naturally aspirated.

JamesT5
Sunday 28th December 2014, 19:39
Parts for Volvo's use the phrase 'Non Turbo' on their website, an example.....

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=608_664&products_id=5048

PFS parts are a well respected and reputable company who know what they're doing, so I think the use of the phrase "Non Turbo" abbreviated to "NT" is acceptable to the masses.

JamesT5
Sunday 28th December 2014, 19:42
The trouble with using the term non turbo is it's ambiguous, a 5L Jaguar with a supercharger is non turbo, but still force inducted, which is why we use the term naturally aspirated.

It's also equivocal. :saythat:

volvokid
Sunday 28th December 2014, 19:43
Is NT and NS the same as NA then? James you love to piss people off.

claymore
Sunday 28th December 2014, 19:44
Parts for Volvo's use the phrase 'Non Turbo' on their website, an example.....

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=608_664&products_id=5048

PFS parts are a well respected and reputable company who know what they're doing, so I think the use of the phrase "Non Turbo" abbreviated to "NT" is acceptable to the masses.

They state non turbo which has nothing to do with your incorrect terminology of a normally aspirated engine. but we all know you will just keep arguing.

Santa
Sunday 28th December 2014, 19:49
The issue with "NT" referencing "non turbo" is that its not a recognisable acronym of anyone with any level of knowledge. It would be NA (meaning naturally (or normally) aspirated).

Also why compare the 2.4i to 2.4 T5 on a thread referencing a V50?

(Apologies to the OP for all this).

LiamT4
Sunday 28th December 2014, 21:47
The reason partforvolvos use the term non-turbo is very simple, as many people who aren't into cars simply wouldn't know what N/A means. The term naturally aspirated could also cause confusion among people who aren't petrol heads. Where as non turbo, explains itself.

I haven't seen it anywhere abbreviated to NT as this would be just as confusing to "the masses" as N/A would be.

As an example, if was going to talk about quantum electro dynamics, on a physics forum i would simply put QED. But, generally speaking, i would call it quantum electro dynamics because if i did just put "QED" many people wouldn't have a clue what i was talking about.

WoodyWP
Monday 29th December 2014, 09:45
It's a good job I know that I'm after one with a turbo then as otherwise I could end up buying something live a V50 N/A,N/T,J/I,WTF and all that wouldn't look good on the boot :)

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 29th December 2014, 12:49

What's a 2.4NT?

Wasn't it the precursor to the 2.4 XP model? Or is it the rare 2.4 "Non Towing" limited edition?

Also, are we talking about the NAWD (referred to as FWDO in some regions) model?

Doingitsideways
Monday 29th December 2014, 13:14

Wasn't it the precursor to the 2.4 XP model? Or is it the rare 2.4 "Non Towing" limited edition?

Also, are we talking about the NAWD (referred to as FWDO in some regions) model?

I'm currently running a 2.4 Vista model!

Also, traction is rubbish. I usually find OWD is my Volvo's preferred method ;)

LiamT4
Monday 29th December 2014, 20:24
It's a good job I know that I'm after one with a turbo then as otherwise I could end up buying something live a V50 N/A,N/T,J/I,WTF and all that wouldn't look good on the boot :)

To get back on topic, don't bother with the 2.4 as its a waste of time. I'd be surprised if its noticeably better on fuel that the t5, while it would be a lot slower.

For performance go with the t5, mpg go with the d5, which could possibly be quicker than the 2.4 anyway.............definitely with a remap.

WoodyWP
Tuesday 30th December 2014, 12:37
Cheers Liam that was where I think I was heading.

Now the only problem is to find a good T5 without loads of miles around the 2008/9MY, oh well got a few days off so the search begins.

lance
Monday 5th January 2015, 08:27
I bought a stock manual 2004 model nearly 4 years ago with about 116k on her since then I have had her tuned to 300 bhp and 350 lbft and she is now done 175k amazing still on the original clutch and turbo and the best volvo I have owned out of quite a few high performance models over the last 13 years! I haven't strengthened the liners And have had no issues I have abused the car carrying a large patio stones bags of cement and cement, the tiles for 2 kitchen floors a bathroom a utility a conservatory, 15 full size trees chopped up not to mention cement mixes and loads of other random stuff plus I have done 3 track days where she has been ragged all day long :-) . Apart from regular servicing stuff I have replace a faulty fuel pressure sensor a maf sensor and the odd coil pack which isn't bad given the mileage and age.

rossmc88
Wednesday 14th January 2015, 22:28
I've just bought a manual S40 T5 to replace my V40 T4

The T5 feels slower than my old T4 which is annoying. I think I need a remap for the T5.
The T5 is worse on fuel. I could get over 30 MPG out my T4, but the T5 sits at <24MPG
The T5 feels and looks much more modern

don kalmar union
Wednesday 14th January 2015, 22:55
Good that we have the semantics sorted.

Back to the original enquiry. These smaller T5s are basically Focus STs in various posh frocks, sharing their Focus floorpan, suspension, manual gearbox(Volvo M66) and Volvo RNCT engine. The RNCT engine is quite different from all other 5 pot turbo engines in that it was designed to be more compact in all dimension to fit into the Focus and Volvos and meet all crash test criteria. The block is designed in such a way that all its ancillaries tuck closer in.

The RS engine has the very same block, not with cobalt liners but with its iron liners aluminium plasma coated on their outside to enable the fusion of those liners to the ally. mass of the block: that overcomes the weakness inherent in the ST/T5 engines in that they can crack their liners when subjected to quite a bit higher outputs.... in particular with poor unsympathetically written aftermarket software.

If increased engine outputs are tempting then a stage 1 software upgrade will give you arround 260bhp with 420nm of torque. If you choose a D5 which was never an option in the concurrent Focus you can get 225bhp and a stonking 480nm of torque with a software upgrade. The fairly rare 2.4D will give a similar figure to the D5.

If you do get an auto. then the AW box is very sound.

Don.

lance
Friday 16th January 2015, 07:30
I've just bought a manual S40 T5 to replace my V40 T4

The T5 feels slower than my old T4 which is annoying. I think I need a remap for the T5.
The T5 is worse on fuel. I could get over 30 MPG out my T4, but the T5 sits at <24MPG
The T5 feels and looks much more modern

A map might help with the MPG and defo the power, mine averages mid to high 20s in winter and more in summer often late 20s sometimes 30. I once had a patient drive of 260 miles sitting at 70 with the air con off and got 41.1 mpg. The worst I have seen is after a track day 7.6 mpg

Ettienne
Friday 16th January 2015, 08:13
A map might help with the MPG and defo the power, mine averages mid to high 20s in winter and more in summer often late 20s sometimes 30. I once had a patient drive of 260 miles sitting at 70 with the air con off and got 41.1 mpg. The worst I have seen is after a track day 7.6 mpg

That's pretty good mpg, must weigh less than my p2 lol, 35-37 is best I get 2,000rpm nearly 70mph

LiamT4
Friday 16th January 2015, 17:47
If you do get an auto. then the AW box is very sound.

Is this the auto that is fitted to all the s40/v50 t5s? Or just after certain years?

lance
Sunday 18th January 2015, 09:59
1450 or 1480 I think when I put it on a weigh bridge, they feel a lot lighter than a p2 in contrast the p2 is more comfortable more of a passengers luxury car the V50 is less comfortable but more of a drivers car, I think my P2 averaged more mid 30s at 70 mph too!