PDA

View Full Version : has any1 ever ran a hx40 on a 850 t5?

richyt5
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 21:26
just out of intrest

claymore
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 21:36
I think there are a few yanks running them on red blocks.

claymore
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 21:48
Twin scroll won't work on a 5 cylinder really.

deathrider311271
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 22:02
Twin scroll won't work on a 5 cylinder really.

why not?

richyt5
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 22:11
seems alot of audis putting them on like

claymore
Tuesday 23rd December 2014, 22:24
why not?
because of the design of the Volvo manifold, it would work with custom manifold or perhaps with an S60/V70R manifold at a pinch.

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 24th December 2014, 05:39
Bulkhead clearance will be a big issue unless you get a custom manifold and you will need an external wastegate.

I think the HX40 will be a T4 flange, so will need an adaptor to mate it to any Volvo manifold. Be prepared for serious lag with such a huge turbine wheel!

Saying that... I do think Holsets are fantastic turbos. Great spool (for their size), cheap and reliable. The turbine housing size will need to be considered as some of the Holset housings are HUGE!!

An HX or HY35 may be a better option for spool times, driveability and T3 flange (same as Volvo). These are still capable of around 500bhp although the HY maybe a bit less than the HX. If using the internal gated Holsets you will need to bore out the wastegate flapper hole to prevent boost creep which is a common problem when running them on petrol cars. Most Holset actuators are set to silly high boost so some people modify the bracket and fit their own actuators.

The main reason Holsets fail on custom installs is the oil return. They need a big return pipe or you will kill it pretty quick. From memory around 19mm I think.

Hope this gives a little insight!

Mitch.

leet5r
Wednesday 24th December 2014, 16:25
mitch whats the diff between the hx and hy 35 turbos , been looking at 1 for the sierra

mitchyboy01
Thursday 25th December 2014, 00:16
The HY's generally have a smaller turbine housing so will spool quicker but also begin to choke a lot sooner than the HX. the HY begins to lose efficiency after around 450bhp (depending on the application) whereas the HX will go quite a bit more. Both turbos spool very quickly for the power they produce. As the Holsets can come with a huge variation in housing sizes it's important to do your research and source the correct one for your application. I think a 12cm HX35 is one of the most popular for a road car but have also read good things about the 10cm HY35. Both turbos are awesome though IMO. I find driftworks is full of info about the Holsets if you want to do some good research.