PDA

View Full Version : Getting radio code if stereo isnt the original fitted

brightonpad
Monday 15th December 2014, 23:14
Hi,

The S40 that I bought at the weekend has an HU605 stereo fitted and when I got it, it was displaying 'OFF' on the screen. I've done the 2 hour key in position 1 thing to get the code up, but when I entered the code in the handbook, it was incorrect. I can only assume from this that it isnt the unit originally supplied with the car.

Is there any way of finding out the code from the unit itself? i.e. can it be obtained from somewhere from the stereo serial number?

Thanks in advance,
Pad

stribo
Monday 15th December 2014, 23:55
You should be able to get it from a Volvo dealer.

brightonpad
Tuesday 16th December 2014, 07:41
Cheers, would the reference be the serial number on the unit as the chassis no or reg of the car would be irrelevant?

Thanks,
Pad

stribo
Tuesday 16th December 2014, 10:13
Yes, if you give them the model number, and serial number they should be able to give you the code.

brightonpad
Tuesday 16th December 2014, 11:51
Thanks, I'll give it a go..

Cheers,
Pad

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 16th December 2014, 12:38
Beware, some dealers are less helpful than others so keep trying if the first one you try says they can't do it.

Have you taken the unit out to see if it has been written on?

brightonpad
Tuesday 16th December 2014, 13:04
Hmm, good call - that would be a touch if it was written on the back... I'll have a look, thanks. Failing that, it's possible that its come from one of Waynes fleet so I'll tap him up also..

Cheers,
Pad

JamesT5
Saturday 20th December 2014, 14:16
You don't need to if it's off another car (say from a scrappy)! I've just switched on a radio unit I installed from another S60 and it worked straight away, no trip to the dealer is needed.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 20th December 2014, 20:08
Hmm, good call - that would be a touch if it was written on the back... I'll have a look, thanks. Failing that, it's possible that its come from one of Waynes fleet so I'll tap him up also..

Cheers,
Pad
No worries, sometimes people do write them on in case they get forgotten/lost. It's not as if anyone really wants these stereos....

Sweep
Saturday 20th December 2014, 22:03
Got the same issue in my 850, battery dropped to barely any charge and cleared the radio code, my headunit is from a V70 and I can't remember where I put the code :worried:

brightonpad
Saturday 20th December 2014, 22:55
You don't need to if it's off another car (say from a scrappy)! I've just switched on a radio unit I installed from another S60 and it worked straight away, no trip to the dealer is needed.

I can only assume that you were lucky enough that the unit coming out of the other car was not asking for the code, or battery had not run flat - I can assure you this one isn't working without a code.

I've had the unit out, unfortunately the code isn't written anywhere... spoke to Wayne and the unit came from someone else on here, who also doesn't know the code. Volvo want me to bring in with proof of ownership and they should be able to get the code from the serial number although will charge labour. Still, £20 for 10 mins has to be better than buying a new aftermarket HU!

Cheers,
Pad

cherry1809
Sunday 21st December 2014, 08:45
£20?! Most half decent auto spares shops can put a new code on there (whatever numbers you want) for about a tenner :)

stribo
Sunday 21st December 2014, 09:00
I can only assume that you were lucky enough that the unit coming out of the other car was not asking for the code, or battery had not run flat - I can assure you this one isn't working without a code.

I've had the unit out, unfortunately the code isn't written anywhere... spoke to Wayne and the unit came from someone else on here, who also doesn't know the code. Volvo want me to bring in with proof of ownership and they should be able to get the code from the serial number although will charge labour. Still, £20 for 10 mins has to be better than buying a new aftermarket HU!

Cheers,
Pad

As usual JamesT5 is posting absolute ££££!!!!! P2 cars are only coded to the car, and don't have their own keycode, but that information is totally useless for your needs, as you don't have a P2 car. If you send me a photo of the label, and model of stereo I'll contact our local dealer, they gave my wife the code F.O.C. :D

Ettienne
Sunday 21st December 2014, 09:16
Mrg I use had no issue with them very helpful people.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 21st December 2014, 12:46
Just for people's reference ,It was a stereo I got from Siamblue. I never it round to going to the dealer to find it.

I PM'd Rufe, but I am not sure if he's answering PMs anymore.

The TDI has the same issue!! Maybe one day I'll pop over.

brightonpad
Sunday 21st December 2014, 13:13
As usual JamesT5 is posting absolute ££££!!!!! P2 cars are only coded to the car, and don't have their own keycode, but that information is totally useless for your needs, as you don't have a P2 car. If you send me a photo of the label, and model of stereo I'll contact our local dealer, they gave my wife the code F.O.C. :D

Stribo,

You are a star, thank you. I am away for a couple of days without the car... If you don't mind I'll PM you a photo in the next day or so?

Thanks again,
Pad

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 21st December 2014, 13:20
I think I've got all the details.
I can text you it Steve.

stribo
Sunday 21st December 2014, 13:35
Stribo,

You are a star, thank you. I am away for a couple of days without the car... If you don't mind I'll PM you a photo in the next day or so?

Thanks again,
Pad

I think I've got all the details.
I can text you it Steve.

Got the details, will try my dealer tomorrow.

brightonpad
Sunday 21st December 2014, 13:41
Thanks to you both!

Pad

brightonpad
Monday 5th January 2015, 13:17
Hi and Happy New Year!

Did you manage to get anywhere with this Steve? No worries if not, I now have V5 so can progress my end..

Thanks,
Pad

stribo
Monday 5th January 2015, 13:27
I got Waynes, but unfortunately couldn't get yours. Hopefully with the V5 you'll be able to get it sorted.

brightonpad
Monday 5th January 2015, 17:20
Ok mate, thanks for trying!

Cheers again,
Pad