PDA

View Full Version : S40 1.6d.. (2005) will only rev to 2900

MoleT-5R
Sunday 14th December 2014, 16:13
As above my daughters boyfriend has just got his first car, a nice Black 1.6d S40 on a 56 plate and approx 97,000 on the clock, unfortunately on their first trip out together the car started to mess about and lost power, the AA were called and a boost pipe was found to have blown off and some fault codes had popped up, one related to the DPF and the AA man tried unsuccessfully to start it to regenerate, they got home and I've had look today and got the pipe to fit properly but the rev's will not go above 3000 rpm, scanned the codes and got P242F, P1103, P138B, I then cleared these and took it for a run still no better and P242F returned, just wondering if any of you out there have had similar issues and how to solve them.......thanks

The Flying Moose
Sunday 14th December 2014, 17:01
I know there are major DPF issues with this era also affects my 2.0d (05) so only assume it affects the 1.6 too.

They were if identical to the 2.0d fitted with an eolys DPF additive tank near the rear axle, most independents dont have a clue so dont check it and it runs dry, apparently the DPF requires this fluid for successful regeneration and longevity . There is however another thing, if its a Euro 4 they also had a DPF change interval at 80k if I remember rightly. Unfortunately the early DPF's were not designed to last too long.

Not to say this is the issue but worth looking under the rear axle for the tank and if it does fall under this 80k change interval, if so and not done that might be the problem. Hopefully the history will reveal all?

MoleT-5R
Sunday 14th December 2014, 17:18
I know there are major DPF issues with this era also affects my 2.0d (05) so only assume it affects the 1.6 too.

They were if identical to the 2.0d fitted with an eolys DPF additive tank near the rear axle, most independents dont have a clue so dont check it and it runs dry, apparently the DPF requires this fluid for successful regeneration and longevity . There is however another thing, if its a Euro 4 they also had a DPF change interval at 80k if I remember rightly. Unfortunately the early DPF's were not designed to last too long.

Not to say this is the issue but worth looking under the rear axle for the tank and if it does fall under this 80k change interval, if so and not done that might be the problem. Hopefully the history will reveal all?

I knew there was something to do with a fluid reservoir which has to be topped up, but didn't have a clue where it was on the car, if it was mine I'd drop the DPF off of the turbo and see whether it will then rev freely with no restrictions to pin point the problem. Think he'll need to find a good indie or take it back to where he got it.