PDA

View Full Version : 850 T-5R Gul Wagon - Usable Project

Mark F
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 14:29
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like I've picked up a car which has lead a full life so, having been someone's tuning project, then fallen into disuse, then most recently had a bare metal respray. I'm picking it up now with a view to maintaining the car, and finish off a few details.
Some good links to the car's history may be found here:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?58317-New-quot-T-Gul-quot-Owner
In summary, it's quite big, and very yellow!

Before I get into "introducing" the car, I'm going to put a parts list here, which I'll update. If anyone can help with these parts, please get in touch!

Parts Needed
- Spare wheel/toolkit/jack
- Tailgate badges (have been offered some by a forum member, but hoping to get new ones from Germany)
- Interior Mats (anyone got any nice, subtle aftermarket ones?)
- Headlamp washer parts (all of the motors, arms etc are removed on my car)
- IP end caps/vents (mine are a bit broken)
- IP end decals
- Roof bar fixing covers (these hide the fixings that hold the roof bars on)
- Switch tell-tale bulbs (eg for the sunroof switch)
- Fixings that hold the top of the radiator to the slam panel (THey are a coarse thread, and I'm missing one)
- Lens for the glove box lamp (mine is just a hole with a bulb in it)
- Header tank (the clip is broken on mine, so it rattles around)
- Auto transmission dipstick (the end is broken on mine)

Mark F
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 14:58
A quick picture to show that it is indeed a big yellow Volvo wagon!

jdavis
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 17:29
That looks great. Have. The trims been painted?

Mark F
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 17:39
That looks great. Have. The trims been painted?

Hi! Yes, the wheels are slightly darker than they should be I think. They are the same shade of dark metallic grey which has been used to spray in the exterior trim, so it all matches. Not original, granted, but looks good in the metal!

Jamest5r
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 18:13
I've got a couple of spare header tanks and a jack lying around, you can buy the grill trims direct from volvo about a tenner each. Where are you as this car was bought a.couple of miles up the road from me.

Ettienne
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 18:30
Hi! Yes, the wheels are slightly darker than they should be I think. They are the same shade of dark metallic grey which has been used to spray in the exterior trim, so it all matches. Not original, granted, but looks good in the metal!

I never have wheels painted as they chip easily, better to get them powder coated.

Mark F
Thursday 11th December 2014, 09:43
I've got a couple of spare header tanks and a jack lying around, you can buy the grill trims direct from volvo about a tenner each. Where are you as this car was bought a.couple of miles up the road from me.

Hi James,
Yes, it came from Nuneaton. It now will share it's time between Norfolk (home) and Leamington Spa (work).
If you do have a header tank, let me know a price, and I'll probably have one off you.
Cheers,
Mark F

Jamest5r
Thursday 11th December 2014, 10:50
Foc if you collect and I'll throw a.jack in only taking up space in the shed

Mark F
Thursday 11th December 2014, 11:24
Foc if you collect and I'll throw a.jack in only taking up space in the shed

Top Bloke! I'll pm you at lunchtime to find out when you're available, and where you are.
Thanks again!

Mark F
Monday 15th December 2014, 10:54
Thanks again Jim for the little selection of spares at the weekend!

Didn't manage to do any more jobs, as was helping with a house move though unfortunately. I was able to nourish and re-black the seats on Friday afternoon though, so they look much more tidy. Also replaced a few switches on the dash with less worn looking ones, and ones with working bulbs!

Number one job on the list next is to sort the heater. Pipes in and out of the matrix are hot, and I can hear the motors working to adjust the temperature when I operate the temperature knobs. I've a heater matrix on order, hoping that fixes the issue. No leaks from the current one, but I wonder if it's partially blocked.

Mark F
Monday 15th December 2014, 10:59
Parts Needed - Updated 15/12/2014

- Spare wheel/toolkit
- Interior Mats (anyone got any nice, subtle aftermarket ones?)
- IP end decals
- Fixings that hold the top of the radiator to the slam panel (THey are a coarse thread, and I'm missing one)

If anyone is breaking a car which may have these bits on it, please let me know.

Mark F
Monday 5th January 2015, 16:05
Hi All,

Hope you had nice Christmasses and New Year breaks?
I haven't found too much time to spend on the Volvo over the holiday, but I did do a few jobs. Changing the heater matrix was really quite easy. Definately a DiY job, with plenty of youtube videos available for anyone thinking of tackling that job. I didn't even get coolant spilled in the cabin, and the car is now toasty warm.

Have also received a car-set of tailgate badges, which are ready to go on at the weekend once I find some reference on how to position them! I had hoped they'd come with templates, to position them, but sadly not. Got a TWR badge too... not the proper enamel one, but a fine looking decal as an alternative.

Parts-wise, still on the lookout if anyone is breaking a car....

Parts Needed - Updated 15/12/2014
- Spare wheel/toolkit (I have a jack already, otherwise this is all missing)
- Interior Mats (anyone got any nice, subtle aftermarket ones they can recommend perhaps?)
- IP end decals
- Fixings that hold the top of the radiator to the slam panel (They are a coarse thread, and I'm missing one)

Pics to follow this evening!

Dan H
Monday 5th January 2015, 16:31
I have some headlight wiper motors and a spare set of arms and blades here if any good to you?

AshDVS
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 04:02
Excellent looking car.

Mark F
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 08:24
Hi Dan,
Yes please, I'll take whatever you've got please!

I have some headlight wiper motors and a spare set of arms and blades here if any good to you?

Mark F
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 08:49
In other news, I've still not been able to bring myself to sell the spine breaking, man boob shaking, clutch leg cramp inducing Clio which the waft-tastic Volvo should replace. I've not used the Clio for commuting since the Volvo has arrived, so I have forgotten all of the things I don't like about it, and only remember the good (great!). This means that at the moment I'm getting away with running a larger fleet than usual!

Here are little and large.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th January 2015, 10:30
I've seen that Clio somewhere.

Mark F
Thursday 8th January 2015, 10:17
Norfolk or Leamington Spa are it's normal play grounds

I've seen that Clio somewhere.

martybelfastt5
Thursday 8th January 2015, 14:13
Great updates the Clio is lovely haven't seen many in red

kmb
Thursday 8th January 2015, 14:40
I think the Clio Trophy is only available in red!

Ettienne
Thursday 8th January 2015, 14:54
I used to have gordinis turbo and non

I do like renault, just too small now

martybelfastt5
Thursday 8th January 2015, 21:01
I think the Clio Trophy is only available in red!

didnt know of a trophy just thought it was a 182

Mark F
Thursday 8th January 2015, 22:53
didnt know of a trophy just thought it was a 182

Yes, red only. They made 500 of the as a run out model for the 182. You get some trick dampers and some recaro seats over and above the standard car. Mine is number 31, and the press cars were all "T### PHY", hence why I've weakened and gone for the geeky number plate. Very quick little car, but surprisingly compromised for day to day use, as it's very harsh, with a heavy clutch, and is quite highly strung. Great fun as a toy though!

kmb
Thursday 8th January 2015, 22:55
My previous car was a Renault Sport 200 Cup, great little car, handling was sublime!

Mark F
Wednesday 14th January 2015, 08:37
Morning all.

It's been a mixed weekend here. Two breakdowns, one of which was the Volvo. I've also had some new tyres fitted, which have made the difference I was hoping they would.

Breakdown-wise, I think the big yellow bus just ran out of fuel. It suggested a range of 100miles remaining, and about 15ltrs on the analogue fuel gauge, but sat in traffic on the way to work it just coughed and switched off. A jerry can full of fuel has got it going again, so it's just something I'll have to keep an eye on.

The tyre change was excellent. I've gone for some MIchelin Pilot Exaltos, which I use on another car in the fleet, and they seem very good again. Fitted by a company who turn up with the tyres in their van, and fit them on your driveway. Very convenient, competetive price, and didn't damage the rims. I'd recommend them! tyresonthedrive.com they are called.

Nealevo
Wednesday 14th January 2015, 08:49
I followed you into work last week, (gaydon) it looks nice on the road, if you need anything then I'm only round the corner

kmb
Wednesday 14th January 2015, 10:04
Vehicle report is a nice touch with brake pad and disc checks :)

Mark F
Thursday 15th January 2015, 18:33
Cool. Do you own a later, blue V70R too? I've followed an immaculate on into work a few days ago. Also, have you spotted the red 850R parked up at Lighthorne garage?

I followed you into work last week, (gaydon) it looks nice on the road, if you need anything then I'm only round the corner

Mark F
Thursday 15th January 2015, 18:34
More bits to fit! A weekend job I think. Thanks to Dan H for passing them on.

Mark F
Friday 18th September 2015, 09:08
Well, after some trying times, my enthusiasm for the big Labrador-esque Swede is back!

As I think I've already eluded to, the Volvo was a real impulse purchase, which I knew I shouldn't buy, but I couldn't help it. As a result, I was somewhat lapse in my pre-purchase inspection......

With some reliability issues creeping in, I've found a local indie (who have been brilliant!) and booked the car in for some TLC whilst I've been too busy doing other things over the summer.

In summary, whilst it was up on the ramp upon arrival, we were left thinking "hmmmm yes, but it's too good to scrap". Cosmetically the car is great, but mechanically in a bad way it turns out.

Some highlights being:
- Engine-Trans bellhousing fixings loose (two only finger tight)
- Water rad leaking
- Intercooler endtank weeping.
- Any hose/pipe into or out of the engine leaking.
- Exhaust bracketry on engine missing.
- Receiver drier unit hanging in free space.
- Aircon Compressor not properly bolted to engine.

Apart from that....!

So, being a sucker for punishment, works were authorised, and the spending started to look into the above "new" faults, and the ones I arrived with:
- Stinks of fuel with full tank
- Intermittent cutting out (as if it'd been keyed off), which my partner loved when it did it twice on the same journey, the first time she'd ever used the car.
- Aircon U/S (it was a warm week when the car was delivered, and I fancied getting it working again).

During investigations, the following was also found:
- Coolant leak at waterpump
- Oil cooler pipes into PRV silicone up.

Whilst you digest that little lot, I'll mention A R Mills in Middleton Cheney (near Banbury), who have been FANTASTIC! I made it clear that the Volvo was part of a little fleet, so take their time with it. In the end they adopted it for 6 weeks through parts sourcing and holidays. Nothing has been too much trouble, and communication is excellent. It's clear that Rich, who was the tech looking after my car is a real keenie!

I'll be back shortly with a list of fixes.

Can anyone lend me some lunch money? I've spent it all on my toy car!

jamesy12345
Friday 18th September 2015, 09:11
Well done sir

Are you selling that Clio yet....

Mark F
Friday 18th September 2015, 09:34
Ah, the Clio....
Went to Silverstone Classic with it a few weeks ago, and I'm going to have to consider it a super rare car (with a price to match).

The Clio Trophy online nerds club had organised a club stand, and in the end there were a whopping TWO cars on display.... embarrassing.

I couldn't sell it at the moment, as every now and then it doesn't recognise it's key, and throws a strop, which would be awkward if it happened just after it was sold. The CD player has packed up too.... so, it must be a French cry for attention I reckon!

Well done sir

Are you selling that Clio yet....

Mark F
Friday 18th September 2015, 10:49
Now then, the list of fixes, after a fault which I forgot to mention (pah, there's so many it's just a drop in the ocean).
- Cam belt auto tensioner U/S, and cam timing skipped a tooth.

Onto the fixes then.
- Full service, incl cambelt, and change all fluids.
- Replace cam tensioner.

- Replace various leaking pipes and hoses, and install correct gaskets and O-rings, which had generally not been bothered with previously hence all of the leaks. How much effort and cost would it have been to refit these the first time around? The thing really had been thrown together it seems.

- Replace leaking cooling packs, water rad, condenser and charge cooler. I presume these are made from Sweden's finest unobtanium as they are chuffing dear!

- Replace leaky header tank, which had a hairline crack around the feed spigot which would weep as the car was cooling down.

- Correctly attach the engine to gearbox.

- Fabricate exhaust bracketry to link exhaust and non-standard go-faster turbo back to the block.

- Fabricate turbo feed/return hoses to suit non-standard turbo, as the previous pipes were rubber and not suitable for that job).

I think that's it for general enginebay jobs.... Now unfortunately, one of the first jobs which was completed was to re-commission the AC system. Had we known the extent of the other issues, perhaps we would have delayed this a year. Anyway, this meant:
- New condenser (as mentioned).
- New receiver drier unit (to replace original which had become pourous).
- Add a selection of O-rings which were missing (seems pretty standard for M824 RNY).
This little lot was then all bolted back together, found to be refrigerant tight, switched on and... Bugger, compressor fubar, so:
- New AC compressor.

Onto fuel system next.
The intermittent cutting-out has been tentatively traced to the fuel relay which has been replaced. We're not sure this is the cure, but the guys at A R Mills suggested it as a good start point from their previous experience. So far, we are about 30 miles since I collected it, so a bit early to tell if it's a fix or not, but fingers crossed.

The fuel smell was traced to the pump-tank seal which had been caught when installing it, and split/folded up, so wasn't doing it's job.

I think that's everything covered?

So far (it's early days) so good.
Aircon is ice cold just in time for winter.
It doesn't half go well now that the timing is correct...!
Fluid levels are stable.
No unnerving smells in the cabin.

Fingers crossed for a run of reliability so that I can start doing a few other jobs, both cosmetic and mechanical. In no particular order:
- D-pillar clips are missing, and rattle horribly.
- Investigate long brake pedal, which fluid change and bleeding didn't fix.
- Fit tailgate badges... still need dimensions if anyone can help?
- de-yellow the brake callipers!!!! It's yellow enough as it is.

It's a lovable old thing, and now it's time for the big Swede to start paying its way a bit! And I need to get a run of uninterrupted work going so that I can re-balance the books a bit after this round of repairs.

A few pictures to follow once I get chance to give the car a rinse down.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark F
Thursday 14th April 2016, 14:18
Quick little update from the weekend.

Having repaired the Odometer, and found a number of missing warning bulbs ( as per this thread http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?61613-850-ABS-TRACS-Lights-wired-together-in-instrument-cluster&highlight= ), I've sourced a replacement OBD connector block and wire to clear the codes.

Had an airbag light and the engine management light on since putting the bulbs in.

This little lot might explain why.............................

Having been able to clear those, I'm left with two genuine faults:
1) Passenger cabin temperature sensor (fair enough, no big deal)
2) EVAP sensor no connection.

It turns out fault 2 is genuine, as there's nothing for the plug to connect to.... DOH! So, more parts to track down.

Other than that, the big Swede is earning it's keep well, and has a newly repaired luggage cover. The project continues!

Mark F
Tuesday 26th April 2016, 16:01
Drat!- Note to self. When ordering an odometer repair cog, have the gumption to consider that there will be cogs for miles, and cogs for kilometres! Don't just order a cog, fit it, then be surprised when the miles rocket up.

Prat.

kmb
Tuesday 26th April 2016, 17:55
That does sound like the type of mistake I could make :lol:

Mark F
Tuesday 13th June 2017, 06:36
Well, as much as I enjoy running and owning the big Swede, our time together may be coming to an end. We've found a nice run of reliability, and I trust the car to go absolutely anywhere. Since the last update we have:
- Repaired seat recline mechanism
- serviced and maintained the thing
- chased a few rattles out.
But most importantly....

Completely refurbished the suspension!

New arms
New bushes
New joints
New factory springs
New factory dampers

As you can imagine, it's transformed!

Mark F
Tuesday 13th June 2017, 08:06
In my opinion, the car is now looking the Bees-knees!

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 13th June 2017, 13:04
In my opinion, the car is now looking the Bees-knees!

One nice looking Gul you have there.....need to go and give mine some more tlc..:)

Mark F
Wednesday 14th June 2017, 23:14
I'm determined to find the rattle coming from the rear cabin this week. I'm sure it's not the tailgate trim, as that's been repaired, and I've adjusted the latch position so it's held tightly closed. It's not the suspension, as that's all new. Anyone had anything rattling back there which they've come across?

Shinsplintz 101
Thursday 15th June 2017, 06:05
Did you change the rear shock top mounts when doing the suspension refresh? An old/original could be the cause of the top of the shock is rattling around.

Otherwise look for anything loose in the wheel well! Sounds like you've done the obvious trim but also check the rear seat catches - grab the tip of the seats & give a good jiggle. If they rattle/squeek then lubricate/adjust.

Cheers, Morgan