PDA

View Full Version : can you re-use crank bolts

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 21:33
having stripped the engine & got the old crank out i want to put the new one in, are the bolts for the crank mounting clamps stretch bolts & have to be replaced or can i use the original ones? (& if they can be re-used what torque do i do them upto)

many thanks Duane

Harvey
Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 21:46
As a rule if a bolt says torque then angle tighten,you should renew it.
But don't know about crank bolts.

AndysR
Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 22:04
For the cost, effort to renew and potential damage caused by reusing even if they can be is it worth the risk? Kind of like refitting a cambelt that's only 1 yr old/15,000 miles if you've removed it to do a head repair or something. Technically there's not reason why you couldn't reuse the belt but in reality is it worth the risk?

merc85
Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 22:28
Some are stretch bolts some are not, They usually come in the timingbelt kits i sell if they are and if the crank pulley has tobe removed

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 23:44
From the Haynes book of lies it says they must be renewed if they are over a certain length. I'll have to dig out the specs

Here you go (specs for an 850):

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/1d8dca00-8e09-48ad-baf9-41aaa8c4c11b.png

stribo
Wednesday 3rd December 2014, 06:32
Some are stretch bolts some are not, They usually come in the timingbelt kits i sell if they are and if the crank pulley has tobe removed

Why on earth would they come with a timing belt kit, you don't go anywhere near the bottom end when renewing it.