PDA

View Full Version : 98 v70 ABS issue

Tintin89
Monday 1st December 2014, 09:52
Morning,

I've just bought my first Volvo and tbh its pretty epic but Im having some ABS issues.

the light keeps coming on and off and the ABS will activate even a slow speeds, braking is becoming a little worrying at times.

Last MOT advisory said brake pads are getting low so im sure that doesn't help but still.

any help would be much appreciated.

Luke

stribo
Monday 1st December 2014, 10:09
The first thing to do would be to check your reluctor rings, if they're excessively corroded, or cracked, that will be your problem.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st December 2014, 10:26
:stupid:

http://www.reluctorrings.com/cars/volvo

Tintin89
Monday 1st December 2014, 10:36
wicked cheers guys.

where abouts would I be looking for this.

Is it wheel hub side or more on board?

t5 pete
Monday 1st December 2014, 10:45
The ring is situated on the end of the drive shaft cv joint you will need to undew the hub nut and pull the hub off the cv joint and you will have acess to replace it.
other problem can be the abs ecu unit its self the solder goes dry ive done quite a few and tbh even when I've found rings broke or corroded it still didnt cure it until the ecu was re soldered.

Tintin89
Monday 1st December 2014, 10:54
ok sounds a little more complicated. its a run around for me as I sink enough time and money into my other car.

is this a problem that any decent garage would be able to deal with or will I need to find somewhere more specialized for it?

t5 pete
Monday 1st December 2014, 11:38
For the rings any decent tom dick and harry who have sone mechanical experience should be able to do it hardest parts you will find will be undewing the hub nut if its never been off I use a 3/4 drive and short scaffold bar if I wont undew by hand and the next bit a puller comes in handy when separating the cv joint from the hub