Dipped beam not working on both sides ?

Ive checked the fuses all seem ok?

Bulbs ok, but both lights out ,

Any ideas please

Thanks

Ploppy

ploppy
Saturday 29th November 2014, 12:30
If one xenon bulb was faulty could it make the other one not work?

silverhorse
Saturday 29th November 2014, 16:22
If one xenon bulb was faulty could it make the other one not work?

Hi mate. No to your question above. Do you get a message on the dash? Car will tell you that a bulb has blown. The fact that both are not working suggests a relay. Hopefully something as cheap and easy as that, but knowing Volvo...............
And to answer your next question, no I don't know where relay is!!! Someone will be along shortly.

ploppy
Saturday 29th November 2014, 17:42
Hi mate. No to your question above. Do you get a message on the dash? Car will tell you that a bulb has blown. The fact that both are not working suggests a relay. Hopefully something as cheap and easy as that, but knowing Volvo...............
And to answer your next question, no I don't know where relay is!!! Someone will be along shortly.

Thanks Silver Horse,

Really appreciate what you say!

Yes get the message on the dash after a minute or so of the light switch being turned fully on, bulb failure, dipped beam..

Yep just need that location of that said relay !! Please

Cheers

Ploppy

Hound
Saturday 29th November 2014, 18:30
Has the shunt resistor overheated?

Not sure if the 2005 is the same as the 2001 but the relay and the often-problematic resistor are under a panel beneath the steering wheel, next to the OBD2 socket.

Harvey
Saturday 29th November 2014, 19:46
Just had a look in my book of words and pictures.
Is fuse no 16 ok in the central electronic module as that's does the Bi-Xenon on both sides..

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 10:11
Just had a look in my book of words and pictures.
Is fuse no 16 ok in the central electronic module as that's does the Bi-Xenon on both sides..

Hello,

thanks for that info

is that the fuses under the steering wheel, if so all fuses ok there :-(

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 10:27
No 16 fuse ok and power steering works too...:bricks:

Harvey
Sunday 30th November 2014, 10:40
Hello,

thanks for that info

is that the fuses under the steering wheel, if so all fuses ok there :-(

Yes that's it.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/a194ec10548700755ac5638247d62289_zps2cc714a6.jpg

As you can see there's no relay.

Do you have 12v at the pin at the headlight.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/b0867fbdc1fe3223d8fcc0673d2a38e1_zpsd7cd4542.jpg

Also have a look at the fuse box in the engine bay ?.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/4a51778696f0df2237f1bfdc8bd04751_zps641e8d05.jpg

Could be worth trying a reset with the battery ?.

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 11:02
Yes that's it.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/a194ec10548700755ac5638247d62289_zps2cc714a6.jpg

As you can see there's no relay.

Do you have 12v at the pin at the headlight.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/b0867fbdc1fe3223d8fcc0673d2a38e1_zpsd7cd4542.jpg

Also have a look at the fuse box in the engine bay ?.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/4a51778696f0df2237f1bfdc8bd04751_zps641e8d05.jpg

Could be worth trying a reset with the battery ?.

Hello,

thank you for all that info

I havent got anything to test that feed, but Ive just did the battery reset,, No Joy

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 12:43
Ok,

just taken bumper off , etc, on closer inspection to the Xenon headlamps , I thought water was on the outside of the headlamps,,, wrong ,,, I feel yet again the ballasts are possibly wet on the inside yet again...
So have decided to order some non xenon headlamps as not going to order new ballasts only to get wet again.

lets hope this works !!

Harvey
Sunday 30th November 2014, 13:42
Ok,

just taken bumper off , etc, on closer inspection to the Xenon headlamps , I thought water was on the outside of the headlamps,,, wrong ,,, I feel yet again the ballasts are possibly wet on the inside yet again...
So have decided to order some non xenon headlamps as not going to order new ballasts only to get wet again.

lets hope this works !!

Very strange for both to fail !, have you already changed the ballasts ? Was that water related getting into the headlight unit.

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 14:00
Yes changed one light already early last year when we had bad floods,

however now both dipped beam gone, water in both units , replaced with 2nd hand unit

ploppy
Sunday 30th November 2014, 14:04
Just hope valeo new halogen light units will work on this , Im sure they will

ploppy
Sunday 7th December 2014, 14:43
OK update,
just to let you know,

Both halogens fitted and work fine.

Ok getting local garage to adjust the beams as they seem to be very low and used interior headlamp switch ordered as they have the beam motors to raise or lower when towing as the xenon ones didnt have that option on the light switch,

Just need to somehow get rid of the message on the display saying HEAD LAMP FAILURE SERVICE REQUIRED although headlamps work fine !

Thanks all for your help

silverhorse
Monday 8th December 2014, 09:54
Just need to somehow get rid of the message on the display saying HEAD LAMP FAILURE SERVICE REQUIRED although headlamps work fine !

Thanks all for your help

That could well be due to your new lamps having a lower electrical resistance compared to the xenons and ballasts. This will make your cars brain think there is a problem. You might have to put a couple of resistors in the circuit. Or the easy option is just to ignore it! Well done for getting them working though.

ploppy
Monday 8th December 2014, 12:36
That could well be due to your new lamps having a lower electrical resistance compared to the xenons and ballasts. This will make your cars brain think there is a problem. You might have to put a couple of resistors in the circuit. Or the easy option is just to ignore it! Well done for getting them working though.

Thanks Silverhorse !

The plot thickens !

Ok went to local non volvo garage, very good I have to say

They found that every time lights turned on, head lamps would be forced to lowest beam position by motors ...

Ok so they disconnect headlamp motors at highest point and they are still to low for MOT standards ....

Ok , so have just emailed 3 Volvo dealers to see if they can plug into my volvo and update software to Halogen lights not Xenon !

Watch this space ...

Ploppy:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wal lbash::wallbash:

expolicev70t5
Monday 8th December 2014, 13:52
Have you checked activation arm for head light level, its fixed to rear suspension, I had the bracket brake on mine with corrosion and so lights seemed to be looking at floor right in front of car all time, as soon as I fixed bracket it resolved the problem

expolicev70t5
Monday 8th December 2014, 13:53
I think from memory its on near side rear arm.

ploppy
Monday 8th December 2014, 18:20
Have you checked activation arm for head light level, its fixed to rear suspension, I had the bracket brake on mine with corrosion and so lights seemed to be looking at floor right in front of car all time, as soon as I fixed bracket it resolved the problem

Hello ,

thanks for that info,

Ive had a look but cant seem to see what you have explained, any chance of a picture please?

regards

Ploppy

expolicev70t5
Monday 8th December 2014, 21:53
Have found a pic on my phone will try upload tomorrow morning, in mean time I will try explain a little better go to the nearside rear wheel look under the car from the rear of the wheel so your head is near the tail pipe , you will see the rear arm running from the rear suspension back towards the centre of the car. About 3/4 of the way along it there looks to be a u shaped shield. Sat in this u shaped shield is the self leveling ride sensor. One end should be attached to the bottom of the arm there is then a rod/arm with an elbow half way along it going to small box. The bracket at the bottom of the arm rusts and breaks free of the suspension bottom arm allowing the sensor arm to drop below the suspension arm this then reads on the sensor as if the car is heavily loaded and therefore drops the level of the head lights

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 9th December 2014, 09:25

This is view as described looking from behind rear wheel, pic was taken when mine was tie wrapped to suspension prior to re welding the bracket

ploppy
Tuesday 9th December 2014, 10:15
Thanks for detailed pictures,
Yes had a look under mine, all good, all attached ....

Um still no joy with volvo dealers, last one said in an email point blank, no will not work !!

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 9th December 2014, 20:16
Have you tried getting in touch with Andy on here ploppy? He's always been good and isnt too far away from you. He may even have some of the xenons in to try too?

ploppy
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 00:41
Have you tried getting in touch with Andy on here ploppy? He's always been good and isnt too far away from you. He may even have some of the xenons in to try too?

No I havent, think he was fed up with me so didnt want to bother him again :santawave

Harvey
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 04:15
I would say the CEM is missing the feed/signals from A-7 & A-5 don't know what they should be that's why you are getting a fault message.

ploppy
Wednesday 10th December 2014, 17:38
Ok,,, UPDATE

ok so new halogen lights fitted , however have to disconnect headlamp motor as kept knocking the lights down,

However even if this is disconnected and wound up as high as the beam will go, local garage says my beam is still too low to pass an MOT

But lights are fitted correctly, both motors although un connected are new and at max raise level

Totally baffled on this ???????????????

Harvey
Saturday 13th December 2014, 23:27
Ok,,, UPDATE

ok so new halogen lights fitted , however have to disconnect headlamp motor as kept knocking the lights down,

However even if this is disconnected and wound up as high as the beam will go, local garage says my beam is still too low to pass an MOT

But lights are fitted correctly, both motors although un connected are new and at max raise level

Totally baffled on this ???????????????

Just thinking about your problem have you tried Fitting the old levelling motors as the might be different ?.
Looks like the part numbers are different

ploppy
Sunday 14th December 2014, 13:16
Just thinking about your problem have you tried Fitting the old levelling motors as the might be different ?.
Looks like the part numbers are different

Hi Harvey ,

yes indeed , but still no joy

Just wondered if the slam plate is different on the xenon cars so the lights point lower?????