PDA

View Full Version : V70R niggles

Saffron Shifter
Thursday 27th November 2014, 20:06
Hi all. Just joined up as I've bought a V70R.

So far I know this. It's a 97 saffron estate. I was told it was AWD but after having after poke around its only FWD, unless it et has after very complex system that doesn't involve a rear DIFF and drive shafts.

Anyhow so far I've checked the pcv using a glove over the cap and smoke from dipstick. All seems ok there.
I do have the ABS/Tracs lights on. I've read that this can be cured by re soldering joints and nd watched a YouTube video on a possible remedy. The reluctor rings are dirty but I tried spraying brake cleaner on the sensor etc but that's not cured it.

Also got a metalic rattling sound from the front n/s. I changed the drop link on that side but found it a challenge to get it t back it to the ARB, however I did manage it. The arb bush on that side it's looking a little perished and slight play with a pry bar, not excessive though.
The other thing is the control arm wishbone bushes also look a bit worse for wear. Having checked the o/s they are different it's design. The other side has really big looking bushes where as the faulty side look a bit weedy in comparison. Would any of these cause a rattling that sounds like a drop link?
The top mount looks ok and when rocking the car in any way there is minimal movement. Could this be the cause?

The front pads are worn and I've ordered replacements however I'm not sure what discs the car came with. I have read that on the plate on the n/s wing can give some info on this but not sure what to look for.

Is there a VIN identifier that I can type mine into to find out any build info that into not left the factory with?

I hope there is someone that can help answer any questions please.

Cheers

Ben

Ettienne
Thursday 27th November 2014, 20:36
Hi ben, ball joints Also make a clonk as does the top mounts mentioned

Where abouts are you? Plenty of member on here that quite often dont mind having a quick look over and helping and offering advice.

V70 Graham
Thursday 27th November 2014, 20:55
Welcome to the club Ben.

Tomcat
Thursday 27th November 2014, 20:59
Welcome Ben, car should have 302 discs on the front as they where standard fitment for the V70R

Saffron Shifter
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:02
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm on the Isle of Man so unless someone local then it may be a little far for some.

I have to get the car ready for it manx test. Like an MOT but not like the UK. It has an MOT and that was passed in march 14 so I'm hoping I can get her through this.

I'm also a little confused as to the rear suspension set up. I believe I have nivomat but unsure if I can change these to normal shocks, if I have to.

Also the ARB. This is a pig of a job right? I'm a fairly competent spanner man but is there a guide or info on how to do it. Do is have a bonded ARB? Anyone know what size it is. Any help would be great. Thanks

Biff
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:06
Yeah mate the arb bushes are bonded on but poly bushes are available from partsforvolvos.com
Welcome btw. Lol

AcidicDavey
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:09
If you have a proper front wheel drive one then swapping Nivos on the rear for normal ones is dead easy, just get springs to match.

Saffron Shifter
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:26
Wahey. Things are looking up and thanks again for the welcomes. I assume that pads are the same for the front despite disk size? That's what the part supplier has told me.

ARB. I saw the poly kit from pfv/s. If they are bonded then how are they removed in the first instance? I take it I've got a bit of a head ache on my hands with that? I'm hoping she'll pass the test as they are!

It is a proper FWD model. I'm not sure wether I was happy or sad to discover this but there is no rear DIFF or shafts and doesn't look like there ever was or even could have been, so I'm guessing that is good news for nivomat conundrum and nd weak 4x4 system.

I also.have to source some comet or pegs with tyres for it. It has 2 front comets and 2 rear standard 16" volvo alloys for some unknown reason. However, On digging around in the front arches there is some markings left by tyre scrubbing on the arch liners. The wheels are 17x7j with 205/50/17 tyres on them. The o/s tyre is quire badly damaged around the inner edge of the tyre.

stribo
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:28
Welcome to the forum.

If you have a proper front wheel drive one then swapping Nivos on the rear for normal ones is dead easy, just get springs to match.

Top mounts will need changing as well.

Saffron Shifter
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:41
Think I'm just going to concentrate on getting her manx legal at the min. That in itself will be an achievement. Thanks for the help so far.
I shall continue to search for arb bush replacement.

stribo
Thursday 27th November 2014, 21:55
You'll want either those:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_546_385_389&products_id=8641
or those depnding on the size of your anti roll bar:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_546_385_389&products_id=6768

Saffron Shifter
Thursday 27th November 2014, 22:24
Thank you for the links. I will have to keep searching for how to replace them. I believe the sub frame has to be dropped and steering rack has to be moved but that's as much as I can find on it at the min.

So. List of things that believe it will fail on that need to get sorted.

N/s rattle - control arm, if that doesn't work then top mount.

ABS - re solder joints as per YouTube (Robert diy I think it was) failing that replace module. If the repair or replacement works will the ABS light go out of its own accord own will that need to be reset?

Get front tyres legal. One is leaking air due to a bend, looks like a pothole victim. Preferably source 4 good comets with legal tyres, if anyone knows of any for a reasonable price then give me a shout please.

change front wipers.

pray they pass the ARB.

Need to address the handbrake as it's weak. Do they have an adjuster inside the drum and can they be nipped up by the handbrake lever?

martybelfastt5
Thursday 27th November 2014, 23:10
front tyres are wrong size for 17s 205 45 17 standard some /most upgrade to 215 45 17 still get slight rubbing in some cases with the 215s but only on full lock the handbrake can be tightened up at the drum of behind the lever there will be a youtube vid on that also

M-R-P
Thursday 27th November 2014, 23:28
Welcome aboard :)

These guys know their stuff. Something just came to mind regarding the wishbones... The larger bushes could be powerflex bushes, bit of an oddball if the previous owner only did one side but a possibility.

stribo
Friday 28th November 2014, 06:30
Thank you for the links. I will have to keep searching for how to replace them. I believe the sub frame has to be dropped and steering rack has to be moved but that's as much as I can find on it at the min.

So. List of things that believe it will fail on that need to get sorted.

N/s rattle - control arm, if that doesn't work then top mount.

ABS - re solder joints as per YouTube (Robert diy I think it was) failing that replace module. If the repair or replacement works will the ABS light go out of its own accord own will that need to be reset?

Get front tyres legal. One is leaking air due to a bend, looks like a pothole victim. Preferably source 4 good comets with legal tyres, if anyone knows of any for a reasonable price then give me a shout please.

change front wipers.

pray they pass the ARB.

Need to address the handbrake as it's weak. Do they have an adjuster inside the drum and can they be nipped up by the handbrake lever?

There are adjusters inside the drums and at the handbrake, under the flap in the centre console, under the arm rest. The procedure is to back off the adjustment at the handbtake end, then adjust up as much as possible at the drum end, so the handbrake is just short of binding, then adjust back up at handbrake end, again just so the brake is short of binding.

jamesy12345
Friday 28th November 2014, 06:42
Vin decoder below...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_70.shtml

9th digit on your VIN will be '8' if orginally a 4-wheel drive (auto)

ps :welcome:

Saffron Shifter
Friday 28th November 2014, 08:36
Thanks for the info chaps.

Handbrake - I thought as much, same as BMW adjustment.

As for the VIN. That decoder is good but if I'm reading it right it tells me I'm should have a manual. It is an auto though. Ah well. All seems in order.

The two wishbone differences I think are due to 1 being original and the other a patern part. The o/s looks to have had some work as the top mount looks different as does the wishbone. The n/s looks stock. I'll go and change the arm for a heavy duty one from pfv. Ones I've nipped the handbrake and done the pads ill put it in for its test to see what comes back rather than spend money incase something costly that I'll be missed shows up.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure there will be more Q's along the way.

Jamest5r
Friday 28th November 2014, 09:43
Welcome, I was only in the IoM last month for a.wedding, may well be there over new year as well and hopefully for the tt :), i lost half my inner liners just getting on and off the bloody ferry

jamesy12345
Friday 28th November 2014, 11:59
Thanks for the info chaps.

Handbrake - I thought as much, same as BMW adjustment.

As for the VIN. That decoder is good but if I'm reading it right it tells me I'm should have a manual. It is an auto though. Ah well. All seems in order.

The two wishbone differences I think are due to 1 being original and the other a patern part. The o/s looks to have had some work as the top mount looks different as does the wishbone. The n/s looks stock. I'll go and change the arm for a heavy duty one from pfv. Ones I've nipped the handbrake and done the pads ill put it in for its test to see what comes back rather than spend money incase something costly that I'll be missed shows up.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure there will be more Q's along the way.

post up the first 11 digits matey, so the nerds can have a look

Saffron Shifter
Friday 28th November 2014, 12:35
Roger.

YV1LW5306W2

That is all?

jamesy12345
Friday 28th November 2014, 12:38
Roger.

YV1LW5306W2

That is all?

so that is...

Yv1 - Volvo
L - S70/V70
W - 5 doors
53 - B5234T3 engine
0 - emissions
6 - AW42 auto (4-speed, FWD)
W - 1998 model year
2 - factory code (Ghent)

RollingThunder
Friday 28th November 2014, 12:47
Re the Nivomats, if your rear shocks look like this -

you have Nivomats - they're quite stout with the bellows type gaitor. There should be a 'product plate' by the battery under the bonnet too - have a look at this page http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10015/what-is-the-product-identification-plate-where-can-i-find-it-and-what-does-it-tell-me item 22 is the rear shock type. My '98 V70R has a '5' in this location and has nivomats.

HTH

Saffron Shifter
Friday 28th November 2014, 13:41
All extremely helpful, thank you.

I have nivomat
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p698/Mr_Scisco/20141127_131613_zpsurhouaho.jpg (http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/Mr_Scisco/media/20141127_131613_zpsurhouaho.jpg.html)
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p698/Mr_Scisco/20141127_131648_zpsurrd35nv.jpg (http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/Mr_Scisco/media/20141127_131648_zpsurrd35nv.jpg.html)

sorry for the pic size.

Also. The V5 says 97 registered but according to VIN in was built in 98.

jamesy12345
Friday 28th November 2014, 14:15
The rumour is.....Model year 1998 started April '97 and ended August '98

stribo
Friday 28th November 2014, 14:28
post up the first 11 digits matey, so the nerds can have a look

so that is...

Yv1 - Volvo
L - S70/V70
W - 5 doors
53 - B5234T3 engine
0 - emissions