PDA

View Full Version : What size tyres?????????????

silverhorse
Thursday 27th November 2014, 00:09
What size tyres can I get away with without loads of rubbing on a P2 V70? I have 18'' 8J Pegs and Nebs and I need to get as high profile on as I can as the country lanes around me are full of potholes and I want to soften the ride.
Car is not lowered. Currently on 235/40, was thinking of 235/45 or maybe even 50. What do you think?

M-R-P
Thursday 27th November 2014, 00:16
You could try 225 45, I think the Avon.ZV5 comes in that size and isn't a bad price

silverhorse
Thursday 27th November 2014, 00:29
You could try 225 45, I think the Avon.ZV5 comes in that size and isn't a bad price

Won't they be a bit of a stretch over 8J rims? Need a bit of protection for the wheel what with the ££££e turning circle!

LeeT5
Thursday 27th November 2014, 03:59
Yeah i wouldn't go narrower with a 225, keep the 235 profile cos then the tyre will offer the best rim protection.
I don't think you can go smaller than 45 mate, otherwise it will through your speedo out. What you could do is reduce your tyre pressure from 35 to 30 psi. That will help.
Also, run winter tyres mate as they are softer compound and more forgiving. I'm running my winter 235/40 18s now and the difference is noticeable. The ride is less harsh, even at 35 psi.

silverhorse
Thursday 27th November 2014, 10:14
Cheers guys. My main concern is rubbing though. I can live with a bit on full lock, but don't want it whenever the suspension is under compression. I saw a V70 Cross Country with 235/50's on and they looked OK, not too balloon like. They got raised suspension though I spose.
What is the deal with tyres with XL on the side? Does that just mean the sidewalls are stiffer, in which case the ride will be firmer?

LeeT5
Thursday 27th November 2014, 11:20
Cheers guys. My main concern is rubbing though. I can live with a bit on full lock, but don't want it whenever the suspension is under compression. I saw a V70 Cross Country with 235/50's on and they looked OK, not too balloon like. They got raised suspension though I spose.
What is the deal with tyres with XL on the side? Does that just mean the sidewalls are stiffer, in which case the ride will be firmer?

XL = eXtra Load. Meaning, the tyre wall construction is stronger. All the tyres fitted to your V70 should be XL tyres.
Fitting 5mm spacers will elimininate any rubbing on full lock.
Unless your V70 is lowered, I wouldn't worry about the tyre making contact with the arch mate. Like I said, 45 profile will be the highest I would advise otherwise your speedo and mileage will be out of kilter due to the increase in rolling circumference.
I think you'll find going to a 45 profile and reducing your tyre pressures slightly will have a profound affect without any rubbing.

silverhorse
Thursday 27th November 2014, 13:22
Cheers Lee. 45's it is then!
Any spacer recommendations?

LeeT5
Friday 28th November 2014, 01:18
Cheers Lee. 45's it is then!
Any spacer recommendations?

Yes. Get them from Don at Kalmar Union. Made by Eibach so quality is top notch:

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-s60_s80_xc70_v70_-suspension/

You'll want two sets of the third one down. £35 a pair x2 = £70 plus postage.

silverhorse
Friday 12th December 2014, 15:18
Just fitted 4 new 235/45 18s and the ride is transformed. A lot more compliant on the crappy country lanes where I live. Got the 5mm spacers on order too. While car was in the air I fitted a set of subframe bush inserts. 4 wheel alignment to straighten things out as well. They have stopped all the little knocking and clonking noises coming from the front end. Car feels tight now.
All in all, a productive day I reckon!