PDA

View Full Version : Power Engineering - good day!

Andrew
Saturday 19th November 2005, 18:05
Just a thanks to Simon for organising the day down at Power Engineering. A good day had by all I think. Also for Iain for the ride in his T5 and showing us the way to the crooked billet for a top meal. Really enjoyed the day

Results where :

264 bhp @ 5026rpm with 318 lbs/ft of tourque - not bad for a crappy superchip... here's to things to come in the ECU dept though :)

Graph to come shortly...
Ac.

Engineer
Saturday 19th November 2005, 18:22
Got to agree with you there Andrew met some really nice interesting guys some of them from north of Watford as well! Will take you up on VOC Ian and don't forget the pic. Will post the few I took on phone as soon as I pick up other laptop (forgot no infared at home) on Monday. What happened when Chris made second run did the lean curve disapear?

SaffronC70
Saturday 19th November 2005, 20:28
Another good meet !

Good to see the Volvo crowd together again and to meet some new faces.

I didn't get to do another run as they closed at 1 - however, I filled up with Optimax and the car does seem to be better - better than BP Ultimate I was using.

Car wasn't running lean all the way through, it was detonating in the midrange and pulling back timing - made 285bhp on the BP (can't remember torque, I'll look it up).

Big suprise was my dad's T4 218bhp running Tesco cheap fuel !

Will need to have another dyno day sometime ! Time for a Brum meet methinks !

Chris

volvotuning
Sunday 20th November 2005, 04:03
Car wasn't running lean all the way through, it was detonating in the midrange and pulling back timing - made 285bhp on the BP (can't remember torque, I'll look it up).

Chris,

When it was pulling the timing back, what ignition timing values did it pull back to?

Adam.

Simon
Sunday 20th November 2005, 12:13
Great day, nice to put some faces to names!

Unfortunately everyone had a successful run except me as my car kept trying to jump off the rollers because it seems there is a wheel alignment problem. The front wheels were really badly kerbed when I bought the car so I guess that's where the problem has come from. I had noticed it had been tramlining a bit but I thought it was down to crap tyres, obviously not. On the positive side of things at least I know where the problem really lies and I can get it sorted out. Luckily there is a place 200 yds from work that has four wheel alignment equipment so I'll be taking the car down there this week to get it sorted out.

I did take some pictures but with Paul's camera, so Paul has the pictures!

Andrew
Sunday 20th November 2005, 12:26
Simon - did the car get lowered ? I read yesterday that sometimes when a car is lowed it can alter the camber of the wheel.... perhaps that may be part of the problem ?

volvotuning
Sunday 20th November 2005, 12:59
Great day, nice to put some faces to names!

Unfortunately everyone had a successful run except me as my car kept trying to jump off the rollers because it seems there is a wheel alignment problem. The front wheels were really badly kerbed when I bought the car so I guess that's where the problem has come from. I had noticed it had been tramlining a bit but I thought it was down to crap tyres, obviously not. On the positive side of things at least I know where the problem really lies and I can get it sorted out. Luckily there is a place 200 yds from work that has four wheel alignment equipment so I'll be taking the car down there this week to get it sorted out.

I did take some pictures but with Paul's camera, so Paul has the pictures!

Simon,

If you want you can have a session on our dyno. You won't get any issues with jumping out of rollers or wheelspin etc even if the wheels aren't alligned, because our dyno does not suffer from these problems by nature of it's design. So you can run 1000 bhp @ wheels no probs. The car can even be slightly forward of centre, slightly back, even with the steering not quite centred or the camber out, and you will still get 100% accurate readings.

Adam.

SaffronC70
Sunday 20th November 2005, 13:33
Chris,

When it was pulling the timing back, what ignition timing values did it pull back to?

Adam.

No idea !

Was only a dyno day with no special equipment, only the operators experience.

Chris

siamblue
Sunday 20th November 2005, 13:49
Simon - did the car get lowered ? I read yesterday that sometimes when a car is lowed it can alter the camber of the wheel.... perhaps that may be part of the problem ?

When mine was lowered i had mine checked was out a little but enough to wreck the tyres over time,

A cracking day out, i had a brilliant 28 hours of being in and around T5 cars and people, weather was very cold but perfect for the intake :)
Thanks to everyone VT5 and VOC it's nice to be on the fence. ;)

siamblue
Sunday 20th November 2005, 13:55
I forgot to say to the guy in the Audi S2 thanks for nothing i stayed with him untill 120 behind him then i pulled into 2nd lane and followed him on his nearside, i had loads left, i was quite surprised he couldn't pull away from me.

Simon
Sunday 20th November 2005, 14:01
Yes the car has been lowered so it could partly be that as well, but it was tramlining when I first had it before it had been lowered. Obviously something isn't right which needs to be fixed. Like I said I thought it might have just been the tyres, but I was wrong.

That's one of the great things about Dyno days is that it can highlight problems you didn't even know you had, or thought might be being caused by something you hadn't even considered as is the case with me here.

After reading this...

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4723&page=5&pp=10

I think I'm going to get some Koni FSD's fitted at the same time. :biggrin:

Andrew
Sunday 20th November 2005, 14:32
Let us know how you get on with it Simon. Great looking car btw - very stealthy with those dark wheels.

Ac.

volvotuning
Sunday 20th November 2005, 14:51
No idea !

Was only a dyno day with no special equipment, only the operators experience.

Chris

ok.

Adam.

Andrew
Sunday 20th November 2005, 15:26
Adam was the usual - bhp/tourque day similar to what we had at VT. Only you guys also had a nice little graph of the air/fuel mix too.

Hopefully as Chris said we can organise another dyno day/rr up at yours in the coming months.

Ac.

siamblue
Sunday 20th November 2005, 16:39
Adam was the usual - bhp/tourque day similar to what we had at VT. Only you guys also had a nice little graph of the air/fuel mix too.

Hopefully as Chris said we can organise another dyno day/rr up at yours in the coming months.

Ac.

In the coming months, god you are brave but you are more insualted than us slimmer chaps and chapesses,
Think April might be better lol.
Unless Wobbley wants to do a BBQ and hot water bottles lol.

siamblue
Sunday 20th November 2005, 17:07
I forgot to say to the guy in the Audi S2 thanks for nothing i stayed with him untill 120 behind him then i pulled into 2nd lane and followed him on his nearside, i had loads left, i was quite surprised he couldn't pull away from me.

doh Sorry i meant S3 :slap:

Engineer
Sunday 20th November 2005, 17:23
doh Sorry i meant S3 :slap:I thought you were running pipe less......................trying to keep up with an S2.

Engineer
Sunday 20th November 2005, 17:23
In the coming months, god you are brave but you are more insualted than us slimmer chaps and chapesses,
Think April might be better lol.
Unless Wobbley wants to do a BBQ and hot water bottles lol.Siamblue, he couldn't drop my slush box R on the A406 and obviously thinks a longer road might do it, if not I guess having a Christmas RICA for on the way back might..........:haha:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st November 2005, 02:27
Andrew - were the quoted figs at the fly or at the wheels?

Gary - we'll defo have to have another crack at a VT dyno day - especially now they have the proper fan installed.

Andrew
Monday 21st November 2005, 08:20
Andrew - were the quoted figs at the fly or at the wheels?

Gary - we'll defo have to have another crack at a VT dyno day - especially now they have the proper fan installed.

I believe PE always quote the fly figures.

MartinK
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 18:53
I was understandably a little disappointed with 205bhp.

Thanks for the K&N filter, though, Chris. It seems to have got the car pulling more strongly lower down the rev range. The old Volvo filter does look quite dirty. Obviously I've no idea what power it makes after fitting the K&N, 'cos I didn't put it back on the rolling road.

All the same, service time soon, so I think I'll get a 'stage 0' done at the same time.

Andrew
Wednesday 23rd November 2005, 18:55
A good stage 0 sounds good. Filter maybe 2-3 bhp just helps with good running. 205 is 35bhp down on what it should be - a service and ECU Remap could do you wonders.
What was your tourque figure ?
Ac