PDA

View Full Version : What upgrades did ex Police 850 T5's have?

kmb
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 18:23
I'm quite interested by this, many years ago (probably 15+) one of my friends owned an ex police Astra, it always seemed particularly lively, then it threw it's cambelt and went in to a local garage when he was on holiday in Devon... When they inspected they found the valves were larger and cams also not standard, basically head work had been done, even though he was oblivious that it was modified when he bought the car!

So stepping aside from hear-say, some of you guys are running ex police T5's, what mods did they routinely have, especially if proven by investigation?

Could be very interesting as if you speak to any of my police friends they usually claim that cars are not modified and just very well maintained. Maybe they are just not moving in the right circles :lol:

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 18:48
Just brakes, chassis reinforcement and arbs. The engine is never tuned from the factory.

Individual forces like armed response would sometimes use a Rica map but very rarely.

kmb
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 18:58
Thanks for the response, that was my thinking, mainly as they carry loads of gear and would need the appropriate suspension and geo changes.

I've also seen some parts for sale from an ex police 850 and wondered if any of them were upgraded, although those that were are probably pretty tired by now :)

Biff
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 22:01
I had an ex plod cav Sri red top.
It had bilstein shocks & springs & v6 brakes.
I think it was chipped as it used to rev to m on rpm without a limiter.
It was a dog though & died when my mate hit a tree at 80mph.
I know the x plod ford galaxies had remaps & a local loon had an ex armed response vectra v6 turbo that threw out 340bhp on a rr day (280 standard).
Think it depended on the force.
Back in my boy racer days (1998 ish) I got stopped by a Dakar yellow e36 m3 lowered with big wheels in Stoke on Trent.

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 23:08
Most of the in-laws have ex plod cars. The youngest brother in law had a 1.4 astra, it had coilovers on the front, big (ish) brakes and went like stink for such a tiny engine.
The volvos however, were considered "fast enough" and were left relatively standard.

p fandango
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 23:09
Back in my boy racer days (1998 ish) I got stopped by a Dakar yellow e36 m3 lowered with big wheels in Stoke on Trent.
i did see an marked Police 855 in Stoke on Trent, but with a rollcage & bucket seats

Tomcat
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 23:15
Mine certainly wasn't chipped when I got it, did have 302's and perfo's though.

M-R-P
Sunday 23rd November 2014, 23:19
One option fior the P2 was to have the limiters moved. 7300rpm from 6100rpm and no speed limiter.
I remember clearing 7k rpm before the remap, it didnt like it much lol.

kmb
Monday 24th November 2014, 10:40
All interesting stuff, quite a bit of subjective evidence on modified performance engine parts, but not on the Volvos (except possibly a rev limit change)... unless anyone knows otherwise?