PDA

View Full Version : EBC Green Stuff Pads

ceefaz
Friday 18th November 2005, 23:59
Is anyone running EBC Green Stuff pads on their T5 as I am not happy with mine and wanted to share any comments.

Assasin
Saturday 19th November 2005, 00:18
Im looking at this also, not sure whats on mine. Whatever the cops fitted i guess. Either was for having discs all round it stops poorly...

Or am i spoilt after my Audi A6?

BlackBeast
Saturday 19th November 2005, 00:23
EBC are generally regarded as crap on most cars, wether its pads or discs. Most highly regarded pads now-a-days are Pagid.

Assasin
Saturday 19th November 2005, 00:51
EBC are? i must have been out of it for a while, they used to be a huge name in brakes...

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 19th November 2005, 02:07
Sadly I have been saying this for ... let me see ... about 2 years and I am still waiting for peeps to take notice? EBC (politely) do not work on yer T5. Ferodo DS are the way to go IMHO.

Assasin
Saturday 19th November 2005, 02:15
Thanks for the clarification dave :worship:

Whats the cost? and can they be bought online?

If i was to be a cheapsake (yes i am ) would fitting the pads on my discs make a difference? seems a shame to bin them where there in very good nick

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 19th November 2005, 02:24
There are two main sorts (and you only need 'em on the front)

Ferodo DS Performance (formely DS 2000) and DS2500. The latter are the most expensive and can be sought only from HLM Chiptuning (aka VT). VT also supply the DS Performance. I have used both types on boht my T5s and found that the Ds2500 is the most preferred for me - but they are not that cheap. You'll have to ring 'em and find out.

Perfomance are more common - and I you can also source them from PFV and some other places. I personally (coz they are next door pretty much) rely on VT.

I am happy to help you with fitting tips or other info (even how to stop squeeling)
- there are posts on the knowledge section.

I cannot tell you about the other pads - pagid or otherwise as I have no direct experience.

Andrew
Saturday 19th November 2005, 07:49
I use the DS Professional (DS2500) on the front and DS Performance on the back and my car stops on a dime....

The professional where about 90 quid and the performance about 40quid but I now trust my very heavy car with lots of power to stop when I need it in almost any condition.....

6.49 here, roads are very cold and very icy but I know they'll do the job on my way to the RR today.

Ac.

Engineer
Saturday 19th November 2005, 07:52
What makes you think you will get that close to my bumper to use them?:remybussi

Andrew
Saturday 19th November 2005, 07:54
What makes you think you will get that close to my bumper to use them?:remybussi

LOL - I won't... use them when I'm close to your bumper - one quick push this morning should see you sliding off in a nice t-pack manoveur :)

Engineer
Saturday 19th November 2005, 07:58
Manoevure, you can't even spell it let alone do it................................................ .......:)

pault5
Saturday 19th November 2005, 10:06
i have green stuff on the front of my 850... and yes they are crap :pants:

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 19th November 2005, 22:30
There's plenty of people on here who have tried them... I am one of them..
I fitted them when I had just joined the forums...
These brakes have been used by Chavs and alike on their 1.2 Corsa's as a good alternative to standard..
Which is probably right as they only have to stop about 10kgs as the rest will have fallen off since leaving Halfords.

Me...of course I'm not a chav....(don't even start you lot..!!!) thought in my limited wisdom (.....Look I'm warning you now..!!..) these would be a good upgrade from standard disks and pads as they are quite cheap and are quite easy to understand....
Green - slightly better....Red - better than slightly better......Yellow - Better than the slightly better's slightly better pad...and Black - very good but your brakes have to be hot first....(not quite sure of the Yellow black order...???)

Volvos are a completely different kettle of fish as they weight as much as a small semi-detached house....Green stuff pads just cook your brake disc....

I bought GREEN and tempered them as recommended before using them on a track day....8 hours later...brakes ££££ed....disks cracked, but due to finances mean they have to stay until I need new brakes.....

good news is I need new brakes now...!!!

pault5
Saturday 19th November 2005, 22:38
There's plenty of people on here who have tried them... I am one of them..
I fitted them when I had just joined the forums...
These brakes have been used by Chavs and alike on their 1.2 Corsa's as a good alternative to standard..
Which is probably right as they only have to stop about 10kgs as the rest will have fallen off since leaving Halfords.

Me...of course I'm not a chav....(don't even start you lot..!!!) thought in my limited wisdom (.....Look I'm warning you now..!!..) these would be a good upgrade from standard disks and pads as they are quite cheap and are quite easy to understand....
Green - slightly better....Red - better than slightly better......Yellow - Better than the slightly better's slightly better pad...and Black - very good but your brakes have to be hot first....(not quite sure of the Yellow black order...???)

Volvos are a completely different kettle of fish as they weight as much as a small semi-detached house....Green stuff pads just cook your brake disc....

I bought GREEN and tempered them as recommended before using them on a track day....8 hours later...brakes ££££ed....disks cracked, but due to finances mean they have to stay until I need new brakes.....

good news is I need new brakes now...!!!

or you could say that they are crap :B_blite:

ceefaz
Sunday 20th November 2005, 01:32

I think that this is happening to my front discs judging by the noise under constant pedal load and the "blueing" of the discs. Oh well new pads it is then. :slap: Better write to Santa :xmas2:

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 20th November 2005, 01:38
A bit of blue is OK....all that is, is the disk tempering.. which although if I'm right makes them more brittle the actual braking capabilities are increased.... I'm not a materials scientist but did study a bit at University...but i don't know how it works....

but yeah Green's are crap......
Ask Teamsideways21 about reds though..he likes them

Aiken
Sunday 20th November 2005, 02:05
If you go for Feredo, don't go for the premier (cheapest) as they squeak like hell, although they do work quite well. Gof for the performance ones.

You get what you pay for.