PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else from Belfast on here? / T-5R strut rebuild question.

Tension
Friday 14th November 2014, 18:55
Hi folks, the name's Karl. Live just outside Belfast, own a green 850 T-5R estate manual. Just joined here today.

Is there anybody else from Belfast or NI on here?

Also, car failed MOT today, front NS top strut mount needs replacing. Gonna rebuild the whole front suspension I think. Are the kits from FCP Euro any good? Is there anywhere to source a rebuild kit in the UK?? Hate buying from America, customs are scum.

Cheers!!

Tension
Friday 14th November 2014, 19:11
This is the kit I'm talking about.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-front-suspension-kit-comprehensive-bilstein-touring-struts-and-oem-mounts-oem-vfsk2-t

What's your opinions folks??

Jamest5r
Friday 14th November 2014, 20:40
Just change the top mount, no point in rebuilding them better aftermarket cheaper

Tension
Friday 14th November 2014, 21:01
What?

hemihusky
Friday 14th November 2014, 21:04
personaly i would just change the top mount and save your pennies for a better setup later. if thats what your planning or can stick to stock suspention n overhaul sometime in the future when it needs it. personal preferance though

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:05
Right. Well thank you for the encouraging messages of support lads :/

hemihusky
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:09
if i had used that kit i would tell you. it looks good with all the hardware included but my T5R sits on koni's and they are bloody awful! may aswell have bricks as suspention

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:10
Yeah but Konis are proper hardcore are they not?

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:12
What dampers would you recommend mate?

hemihusky
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:12
i think they are the slightly more "sporty" of the set but mines been done by the previous owner on the cheap. they are koni adjustable dampers with horrable lowering springs, combine the 2 means you feel every pebble you touch. and the tires rub and chew the inner arches apart. i want some nice coilovers on mine

hemihusky
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:19
not too sure as ive not had much experience with other brands, my old T5 saloon had slight lowering springs on it but sat on stock volvo dampers and that was still comfy. i mean you still knew if you went over a speedbump too hard but it didnt rattle everything to bits with bradford roads!

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:50
I will be keeping my original T-5R springs, but I am going to rebuild the suspension anyway. It's a 20 year old car and I rake the ££££ out of it every single day. I assumed the Bilsteins would be a slight upgrade over the standard 20 year old Volvo originals, but now I am not so sure.

hemihusky
Saturday 15th November 2014, 13:58
i think the blistens are like the stock ones, their OEM. its like how if you look at the amp under the seat it may say volvo on it but its really alpine or something like that

martybelfastt5
Saturday 15th November 2014, 14:34
alright mate as ive told you mine is running bilstien and now h&r springs not much lower than the standard setup well on the front anyway stils is comfortable even on 18s......what are you wanting from the car comfort,lowering,handling ?the bilstien should be a massive improvement over the standard 24 year old stuff lol then for height comfort will determine the springs you want H&R,eibachs and volvo also supply there own lowering spring lowest ive seen are ipd springs on the konis i think a lot used the yellow version? with eibach springsalso the volvo 850 coilovers are becoming more affordable as for top mounts just replace the lot think your best bet is buying from jamie at PFV,,or rufe at FRF both will supply you with oem stuff or uprated xc90 versions most important of all dont but cheap was in an ek9 before with apex springs it would have bounced you off the road almost dangerous lol

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 14:41
Did you see that link mate? What do you reckon bout that kit? I'm just keeping the standard T-5R springs. I want it to hold the road as best is possible without it being stupidly bumpy. Definitely want those xc90 spring seats though!!

martybelfastt5
Saturday 15th November 2014, 15:03
does look good but what will be your total spend in gbp?

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 15:23
It's gonna be over 400 quid. The car is a keeper so I don't mind spending the money. Don't want to be wasting it though..

martybelfastt5
Saturday 15th November 2014, 15:28
give jamie a ring at pfv tell him what your thinking of doing and see if he can put you a kit together id be tempted to just go sachs,monroe,bilstien and new top mount kit x4

looking at that kit its front only? surley you could do all four coners for similar seeing your using original springs?

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/index.php

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 16:20
I have nivomats :/

Tension
Saturday 15th November 2014, 16:24
Basically I need new spring seats, might as well get new mounts too. Bump stops have perished too so need to replace them. Might as well put new dampers in there too while I'm at it. And finally some new bolts would be nice.

Basically everything lol.

I will look in more detail tomorrow, right now im off to get pissed :D

stribo
Saturday 15th November 2014, 17:06
I have nivomats :/

You can change them for standard shocks, you just have to change the top mounts. ;)

martybelfastt5
Saturday 15th November 2014, 17:33
if your car isnt being used in a way that warrants having nivomats get them out as stribo says