PDA

View Full Version : please can anybody help?!!!!!

Dunny
Monday 10th November 2014, 15:00
I baught a volvo v70 170bhp auto two days ago and It never even got me home. As I was driving home i was coming off the motor way slowing down and the car cut out (like it ran out off battery) so towed the car home charged the battery hoping this was the problem an still will not start. I have tested the battery all good tested the volts at front of engin geting a reading of 12.2 so should be enough to start still no joy even had the starter motor off to see it its spinnig and kicks out soon as connected to the battery fires up put back on car an as I try to start Thes just a clicking noise n dosnt do much.

Can anybody help please!!!!!!!

The Flying Banana
Monday 10th November 2014, 15:06
have you checked the earth straps from engine to chassis are not detached ? There is one coming from negative side of battery to bottom left of block

Dunny
Monday 10th November 2014, 15:16
Yea checked over n over again incase I missed something out lose wire or something disconnected

martybelfastt5
Monday 10th November 2014, 16:36
still might be a weak starter...or if you can read the voltage of the battery while cranking it over shouldnt see a massive drop from 12v

Dunny
Monday 10th November 2014, 18:23
Somebody going to look at starter tomorrow an fix it if not il buy a second hand one an if this dosnt work don't no what to do thanks for help if anyone else has had this problem please let me know see what happens tomorrow

960kg
Tuesday 11th November 2014, 10:38
Although you have 12.2 v you should of had more than that after running down the Mway, you should have at least 13 if the battery and alternator ok...

As said above when yes, you have 12.2v but when you turn on the ignition even you won`t have that because of all the sensors on especially if a knackered battery...

If the battery is excellent you can have a reading of 10.5v and it will start but when you get to 8.5v it will just click.......

I had a battery condition on my digital boost guage and it worked pretty well for me seeing as i only used the car once a week.

If your connections are ok and the battery looks old i would bet on that first as it started ok when you picked it up!

My V70 was 17yrs old and no problem at all with the starter.

Good Luck

Liddo
Tuesday 11th November 2014, 14:55
Does it even try to turn over??? Does anything else work??? I know some P1s have had issues with dodgy ignition barrels causing strange issues

T5frankie
Tuesday 11th November 2014, 15:53
ive had a battery just "go" before out of the blue, i didnt think it could of been the battery as the way it just working was instant, i'd try that 1st

Dunny
Tuesday 11th November 2014, 19:35
Sorry been at work when I try and start the car it just clicks n dosnt even seem to try an start. Ended up puting a new starter motor on it an still no joy. All tests on battery seem good tryed jump starting goin to try a new battery tomorrow but don't think its the problem. Thanks for everyone's advice

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 12th November 2014, 16:25
you said it didn't make it home ..is the engine seized?

Dunny
Wednesday 12th November 2014, 18:06
Sorry I ment it broke down an didn't get me home. Me and me dad have had the wheel off and turned the engine over from the bottom pully seems to be ok and it's got oil in ect all checks seem to show no sign for a reason not to run

stribo
Wednesday 12th November 2014, 18:10
Could it be a fault with the auto box interlocks, as you can only start an auto in park, or neutral I believe, if it thinks it's in gear then it won't start. Wouldn't explain it cutting out though.

Dunny
Wednesday 12th November 2014, 20:36
Il try starting in neutral but realy out of ideas now and starting to give up hope

Kingsford G
Wednesday 12th November 2014, 22:16
Read the fault codes in the transmission and engine.If it was to do with the transmission tbh from my experience the starter wouldn`t even click.Do an extra earth or clean all the earth connections and try if not do a direct cable from the battery to the starter as could be a broken cable etc.Have you inspected the flywheel before fitting another starter,are you sure it is not just as bad as yrs cos under load the bridge connection that u hear clicking may not be giving enough amps as if its burned the contacts as it is a s/hand one.It would help if you describe the problem in more details tho.

glock19
Thursday 13th November 2014, 01:30
First your car died off and then it can't start or even crank. You've change the starter and battery and still won't crank ?

Look into your ignition switch as it can cause the above. Apart from the key entry, there's a white plastic case that holds the electrical contacts.
I'm not sure if the immo inhibits cranking but a OBD scan might let you see if immo signal is there or not.