PDA

View Full Version : Error Code PO121 Throttle/Pedal Sensor !!

Darkvader666
Thursday 6th November 2014, 20:51
Went to Halfrauds to get some leather cleaner and then upon starting and trying to drive the car afterwards it didn't have any power and on idle was running rough and the dreaded ETS light was on !!
Long story short is that the AA turned up but when I turned on the engine to show them it was running fine.....he still plugged in his computer and got the error code above......
So after searching the forum I am worrying that the ETM has/is failing.....but before losing the plot. Would the correct course of action would be to -

(A) Replace the MAF sensor ??
(B) Clean the ETM ??
(C) Replace the ETM ??

Just wondering as I had the rad replaced recently, could that have had an effect ??

Car is a Volvo C70 2.4T 1999....naturally looking for the cheaper option what with Christmas being around the corner.

Grateful on any advice, read loads about it but now not sure what path to take!!

M-R-P
Thursday 6th November 2014, 20:58
The last time I saw that code on a P1, it was caused by a dirty maf. Give it a clean and reset the code, see if it goes away.

Darkvader666
Thursday 6th November 2014, 22:41
Cheers MRP, as a novice. How do I clean it out ??

M-R-P
Thursday 6th November 2014, 23:00
Take it off and squirt electrical contact cleaner on the sensors inside. don't physically touch them, just squirt :)

Darkvader666
Friday 7th November 2014, 08:53
Cheers for the advice MRP, will give that a go tomorrow and see what happens !!

My local Volvo garage has said they can clean the ETM without taking it off for about £50?
I have searched around on the forums and not seen anyone mention that. In your experience is that something that might be worth checking out ??

M-R-P
Friday 7th November 2014, 11:35
Cleaning the ETM is pretty simple mate, 1-2 hours depending on your skill level.

jdavis
Friday 7th November 2014, 15:06
Long shot but did you by any chance have your foot on the throttle a small amount the first time?

Darkvader666
Wednesday 19th November 2014, 12:52
UPDATE - Despite giving the MAF a squirt with electrical contact cleaner, the c still ran rough.
So had no choice but to limp it to Braydons who after plugging in their laptop diagnosed that the ETM was well and truly dead :frown:
So I am now the proud owner of a yellow ticket thottle body and I have to say that even though the old one did not cause any problems until it failed (when I had to pick my daughter up!) I have noticed that the car is generally running alot better and seems a bit more sprightly!
Cheers for tips and roll on the next 'issue' !!