PDA

View Full Version : P1 V70R heater blower not working correctly.

Spooky
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 18:29
Well it had to happen at this time of year!! My heater blower doesn't seem to be getting up to speed. I can also hear the fan speeding up and slowing down sporadically. Anyone any ideas on a fix or is it a new heater box?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 19:45
Just replace the fan, it's behind the inner glovebox takes about half hour to do

Spooky
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 21:39
Nice one cheers james. Is there a guide to it and where would one acquire a fan from?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 21:54
Any scrap 850/70 will do you, best to take yours out 1st just to check it's the bearings but 99% it is, take the liner out of the glovebox and the panel underneath you can then get to the 3 bolts, you have to unclip some electrical bits but it's self explanatory, only bit that's trouble is getting the plastic end bits off the inner glovebox

Spooky
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 21:59
Cheers pal. Will strip it back on Saturday to make sure it's that before I rip it out :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 6th November 2014, 13:41
Any scrap 850/70 will do you, best to take yours out 1st just to check it's the bearings but 99% it is, take the liner out of the glovebox and the panel underneath you can then get to the 3 bolts, you have to unclip some electrical bits but it's self explanatory, only bit that's trouble is getting the plastic end bits off the inner glovebox

Small mains testing screwdriver is just about the right size to prize out the glovebox lid supports.

Spooky
Friday 14th November 2014, 00:55
Got the fan out. I left it connected up and turned it on and it wouldn't spun until the fan speed was set to full.does this still sound like it's the actual fan motor?

I only ask as I have read somewhere about resisters going faulty as well.

Redbrick
Friday 14th November 2014, 20:10
Sounds like what mine did. Can be fixed for a couple of quid with a resistor off eBay.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/106427-blower-resistor-repair-guide-850sv70/

Jamest5r
Friday 14th November 2014, 20:35
Got the fan out. I left it connected up and turned it on and it wouldn't spun until the fan speed was set to full.does this still sound like it's the actual fan motor?

I only ask as I have read somewhere about resisters going faulty as well.

If the fan moves freely then it's ok and go with redbrick's link :)

Spooky
Sunday 16th November 2014, 09:33
Cheers guys. I put the fan back in yesterday and it wouldnt come on at all. Took it out again and it came on (although it needed to be turned up full to spin). I put it back in once more and again it wouldn't come in so I gave it a bang on the back of it and it spun up then spun back down again !! Sounds more like the fan bushes being dry to me does this... anybody else think the same?

Spooky
Sunday 16th November 2014, 14:10
Mine doesn't have one of those resistors. It has the big silver heatsink. So it must be the fan then ?

Mine looks like this...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321586134511&alt=web

Rogo1806
Tuesday 25th November 2014, 12:04
I have a problem with my fan also, it seems that when it is on complete Cold or hot then the fan blows ok, but if it is anywhere inbetween this temperature then the fn cut off when I go over 20mph. Its weird, I put on all my electricals to see if there is a problem with powering the blower fan but I dismissed this. The only thing I can think it is is the Resistor or the actual Temperature control panel. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Hound
Tuesday 25th November 2014, 12:48
Spooky... what you posted - and said yours looks like - is a resistor/heatsink, if you look at the description. Check the numbers on the unit if you're not sure!

But if you have to clout the fan to get a response it certainly sounds like that is poorly too.