PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5R, back from the brink or a step too far?

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 15:29
OK I collected a very unloved 1994 850 T5R in black.

The car has done stellar mileage and the clocks stopped at 260+, estimated miles is in the region of 320+.

Faults, and there are many.

Paint flat but can be revived I'm sure
Suspension rides hard on the front, rattles at the rear
The odd bulb doesn't work inside
Ignition barrel is a little temperamental
It needs a damned good clean inside though, filthy, seats out job this one
Front headlight wiper stays in the up position, possibly seized as I can't move it
Needs a new steering wheel, the one on there is split.

Noise to the engine bay which appears to be idler related.

But for all its issues, it starts first time and seems to be all working. Its mot'd etc. It looks better in the pics than the metal, there's no rust though but it feels like it needs much TLC.

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 15:34
one thing I'll not understand is, why do owners just let their cars stay so dirty inside, I've found pens, euro's, bottles, receipts, more pens, paper, sweets, lighter, pen knife of sorts, a few parts in volvo bags. Its going to be an interior strip out to clean at least.

The floor mats are very good though for the miles, and I have located the handbook but I don't think its the cars original, certainly haven't got the T5R folder.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 15:39
how much do you want to spend on it? What is the end game?

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 16:05
no idea and no idea! To be honest it seemed a crying shame to see in languishing in a yard so I decided to at least give it a dry home, this is after all bargain basement territory.

I would say end game is to have a useable car, nothing fancy or special, just one that can be used on the road as Volvo intended. It has a tow bar which will prove useful, but I'm not looking too long term. I've had my old BMW for around 14 years and it was in a bad way when I got it, and now its like the pic below, so this 850, if I can play at garages and repair as and when then I'll not lose much sleep. It's not like I have a deadline just yet.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 16:24
I was more curious about what you're looking to do. Bear shell restore to original spec/Show and Shine shrine? Track Animal? RWD conversion? T6 Conversion?

Tomcat
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 16:28
Dare I ask how much you got it for?, I really miss my black T5R so it's nice to see another

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 17:03
£500 all in Tomcat.

I'd love to do something like this properly but I don't have the means really but I could take my time I suppose. I really liked my old V70R of years gone by and the 850R saloon I had for a few years, so wouldn't mind getting it to an acceptable standard. I don't think it will see the track though.

Intention is to bring it back from the brink initially, get most of the small things or annoying things sorted, then go from there. I may be able to save the paint as it stands then one day have it blown over.

LiamT4
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 20:59

Is that an e23, which model?

Ettienne
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 21:08
Got to have a go at restoring it surely.

I hate seeing the t5r / 850rs broken, as they're getting rare and going up in value.

I have enough stuff here sitting in the workshop to pimp one, but I just can't do it and put them back to standard now.

Oh black is a reasonably rare colour, you won't see many driving it.

t5 pete
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 21:11
I wish mine was in that condition when I started out its certainly not too far gone a decent restro if ypu can do the work your self and you will always be quids in

craigoodwood
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 21:33
you'll have to change your sig ;)

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 21:41
I will have to change it now.

It won't be broken in my ownership, I hate breaking them (besides I have neither the time nor the space!). It is in need with many smaller items missing but I think we can save her for god knows how many more miles to come. The engine seems very healthy.

The T5R isn't that bad really but like has been said by Wobbly, how far do you go? I'd like to refresh the suspension, and tidy up the paint, give it some shine and get those wheels refurbished, they were so dirty and the dirt has sat for so long that they are in desperate need, not too bad as they can't be saved but I reckon the car including the wheels have not seen a bucket and sponge for a very long time.

Liam, that is an e23, it is a rarity though as this is one of the few Alpina 'converted' cars carried out by Sytners in Nottingham, this car was the ride of the director of Park Lane in the mid 80's, cost the same as the average semi in 85!! I found it in Bristol and took a chance on its originality and drove it the few hundred miles home, a wing and a prayer comes to mind and its been with me ever since.

They modified the engine, suspension and gave it the distinctive front spoiler and alloys, it currently has a full dark red leather interior but it should have a buffalo leather, but that's very hard to find, why mine lost its I can fathom.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 21:57
Be good to save her if you can, just take it bit by bit if there's no rush.

ps I'll have the euros for the wife lol

jamesy12345
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 22:05
love the alpina is it a B10 E23?? Only 22 built!

dant5r
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 22:40
The seats look like there from a 850R not a t5r

hemihusky
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 23:09
yeah those are 850R seats but depends how far you wanna go original. mine has the original leather middle with alcantera outter T5R seats and they are nice yes. but god do they make you hot on a long drive! and considering for the past 4 weekends on the trot ive done 600 miles per weekend it gets rather annoying!

Andy G
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 23:19
Hi guys, yes the seats are from another car, I thought they were V70R to be honest. They did say the originals were worn so were replaced. The drivers seat is suffering a little so I may replace that with another R item and leave it as that.

Yep, e23 B10 3.5, They made an initial 22 manual cars in 85 but this is one of approx 13 auto's made. I've managed to track down 8, crazy, most have rusted away, probably like the 850's today.

hemihusky
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 23:25
V70R seats are black with straight alcantera inserts and quilt stitching across them, i got a set for my T5R. those what you have are definetly 850R seats

jamesy12345
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 18:18
Hi guys, yes the seats are from another car, I thought they were V70R to be honest. They did say the originals were worn so were replaced. The drivers seat is suffering a little so I may replace that with another R item and leave it as that.

Yep, e23 B10 3.5, They made an initial 22 manual cars in 85 but this is one of approx 13 auto's made. I've managed to track down 8, crazy, most have rusted away, probably like the 850's today.

there's a B10 bi-turbo for sale in 4-star classics. Once I've sorted out a buyer for one of my kidneys I think I'll go for it

LiamT4
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 21:17

Its a lovely car and very rare too.
My dad had a couple of bmws, an e12 525, e28 527i and an e32 735i with a few engine mods on it.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 5th November 2014, 21:53
Definitely not a step to far, if you can't be bothered I'll take it off your hands :)

Andy G
Sunday 9th November 2014, 21:06
well I had a look around it today, had a bit more time to have a snoop.

I think despite the paint being poor it can be revived, I did a small patch and it actually shines. So I'll try and coax the paintwork back into life, ultimately it should have a respray as there are so many scratches and marks on the panels its unreal. Also the wheels will need a full refurb, mainly because the paint finish has lifted off the wheels due to having the dirt and brake dust eating the finish away. I may give that a go myself.

Under the bonnet its got samco hoses and a polybush powerflex top mount, its a bit oily by the dip stick but apart from that as clean as it can be. I started it up from cold and there's no smoke billowing from the rear!

I had a look underneath and everything appears very sound, no rust to talk of, the front feels firm but the bounce test didn't reveal any issues, however it did give a creaking noise from the passenger rear, not sure what that is. It has nivomats at the back judging by the bellows I can see. I'll need to take it for a quick spin to see if can hear anything, sure there's a rattle or noise from the rear, any idea where that would come from or what it could be?

So it needs

the paint reviving
A new drivers side indicator
possibly a headlight switch, (it works but the instruments fade out after a while?)
Rear tailgate trim (I have a volvo repair kit) but it needs the trim behind the stop light
Rear speaker trim that sits on the rear pillar
Front spoiler is damaged and cracked
drivers side towing eye trim/grill missing
Has a dent on the drivers side rear by the tail lights.
Has a dent or small crease on the passenger side
I've removed the door side trims and all seems fine under there.

Probably needs the cambelt changing and the idler pulley but I think that'll be a garage job.

Everything else appears fine considering the mileage and no history to talk of.

Andy G
Sunday 8th February 2015, 11:12
OK I've not been around here for a while, and my apologies for this, however work and family plus house has taken over, a job change has had an impact as well, and as a result I'm not going to be able to start this (let alone finish it!). So I am reluctantly going to offer it for sale and I'll put an ad on ebay maybe tonight.

The genuine reason is I'm losing my unit that I keep my 'toys' in and with my work, stuff at home (plus I'm part of a senior rowing quad that's competing this year) I've literally run out of time. I think I'll have the unit till end of March and with the winter league we've been competing in ending around this time this will be my cut off date.

So we've done little apart from clean it and the paint does respond well. I can't put an ad on here as I don't have enough posts to qualify, so I'll place a link to the ad when its done.

Sad, sad, sad. But things change.

stribo
Sunday 8th February 2015, 11:14
OK I've not been around here for a while, and my apologies for this, however work and family plus house has taken over, a job change has had an impact as well, and as a result I'm not going to be able to start this (let alone finish it!). So I am reluctantly going to offer it for sale and I'll put an ad on ebay maybe tonight.

The genuine reason is I'm losing my unit that I keep my 'toys' in and with my work, stuff at home (plus I'm part of a senior rowing quad that's competing this year) I've literally run out of time. I think I'll have the unit till end of March and with the winter league we've been competing in ending around this time this will be my cut off date.

So we've done little apart from clean it and the paint does respond well. I can't put an ad on here as I don't have enough posts to qualify, so I'll place a link to the ad when its done.

Sad, sad, sad. But things change.

You only need 75 post to place an ad, so you have more than enough. Sorry to hear you won't be able to continue with this project.

Andy G
Sunday 8th February 2015, 11:43
are great thanks, the ad is here :-(

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?58829-994-850-T5R-auto-in-black&p=758970#post758970

I'm a bit miffed but maybe I knew this was going to happen sooner than later.