PDA

View Full Version : oil sitting on top of engine

matt_t5r
Saturday 1st November 2014, 12:04
850R 1996
ok.. 1st off bought new oil filler cap...
however i still seem to have oil sitting on top of block. obviously not throgh cap.
could it be coming from breather pipe.?.. the plugs seem fine and no oil leaks from under car.. just likes to sit on top of head...

any ideas. should i consider torching it lol..
i should be oredering suspension and brakes today but not sure if i can keep shelling out $$$$$$$$$$$.

Timo.
Saturday 1st November 2014, 12:52
Mine (same car) leaks out of what looks like a hole on the top of the engine (under the plastic cover). I tried to seal it up with some magic black stuff. It slowed it down. Its a very common issue.

mike 850
Saturday 1st November 2014, 18:00
which hole? the cam cover vent going to the pcv?

Kingsford G
Saturday 1st November 2014, 19:17
Its the cam cover the pcv pipe that is leaking.If the pipe it hard you might consider changing it with the complete pcv kit and forget about it for a few years.Basically the pipe goes hard and the clamp is not sealing it properly,try a new clamp and clean all the oil,if all good as above.

james
Saturday 1st November 2014, 19:28
Sometimes this can be the oil cap seal it goes hard eventually I replace mine now and then

Kingsford G
Saturday 1st November 2014, 19:34
Sometimes this can be the oil cap seal it goes hard eventually I replace mine now and then

It can indeed.

matt_t5r
Saturday 1st November 2014, 20:22
black pipe on top?

i replaced the cap. first obvious point.

is it a case of ordering one from volvo + whats involved in changing it

Tomcat
Saturday 1st November 2014, 20:25
Yes its a volvo part, ask them for the parts to change the PCV and they'll give you all the parts you need (or they should do if they know what they're doing). To swap it all out involves removing the inlet manifold as the oil trap is located underneath it.

matt_t5r
Sunday 2nd November 2014, 10:07
i love you guys.. so full of knowlege... is it a mission job to do.. do i require new i/m gasket

T5frankie
Sunday 2nd November 2014, 10:59
i had this problem and it ended up being the oil filler neck as it had slightly sunk, i had to take the cam cover off and knock back out and seal

expolicev70t5
Sunday 2nd November 2014, 11:14
Check cam seals at front of block as mine leaked there and left pool of oil on top of head

Saaamon
Sunday 2nd November 2014, 20:49
I think changing the PCV is a mission to be honest but is important. You'll need to buy some replacement rubber fuel pipe as well.

matt_t5r
Monday 3rd November 2014, 18:34
ok looks like my pocket better start getting bigger.. will have to get it back in the garage i suppose