PDA

View Full Version : switchable autobox

richeeroo
Friday 18th November 2005, 13:33
Hi all,
Can anyone help, the sport/economy button on my 850R doesn"t appear to work when in sport mode. The light comes on to say that it's on but it feels the same and the gear changes are unaltered from economy mode. Winter setting works as it should, can it be just the switch or could it be something more sinister ?
Thanks again,
Richard :dunce:

chriskay
Friday 18th November 2005, 14:37
Are you sure it's not working? Easiest way to check is to see if it holds a gear to the red line in Sport, on full throttle. In Economy it changes up about 1000 RPM earlier. (sorry if you already knew).
Cheers, Chris.

richeeroo
Friday 18th November 2005, 15:49
tried doing that and no difference but works in winter mode !

chriskay
Friday 18th November 2005, 16:33
Guess it could be the switch, but the light is coming on, you say, which makes it seem less likely. Could be the Auto box ECU. I've got a spare if you need it; from a 1996 850T5. Numbers on it are P09144363 1TVS025994 T96030467 I'd get the codes read.

richeeroo
Saturday 19th November 2005, 13:31
sorry to sound dumb but how do i get the codes read ? :dunce:

chriskay
Saturday 19th November 2005, 16:13
Easiest way is at a main dealer, but some independents have the gear. If it's pre 1996, you can do it yourself, in a box under the bonnet. Haynes describes it, with a list of fault codes. If you've got a 16 pin connector under a cover by the gear shift, you need the Volvo code reader.

richeeroo
Saturday 19th November 2005, 22:42
cheers, thanks for the help. it is a 96 and does have the 16 pin connector so i know what the the next "to do " is on the ever increasing list !!!
Thanks
Richard

chriskay
Saturday 19th November 2005, 22:57
Shop around for the cost of having the codes read; it can vary a lot. Meanwhile, just in case, you may want to check the numbering on your ECU. This is in a box under the bonnet, about half way along on the offside wing. There's 2 ECU's in there; 1 is the engine ECU, the other the auto box one. If it's never been opened it'll have a metal strap across the top with a 'tamper proof' screw. Just use mole grips. Hope it turns out to be something simple. I see there is a code for 'break in driving mode selector circuit', & 1 for 'driving mode selector circuit shorted to earth' & 2 for 'fault in ECU'
Oh, BTW, if a fault code has been stored, I think you should have a flashing orange arrow on the dash.
Cheers, Chris.