PDA

View Full Version : Awd fault

rotax740
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:39
hi guys and gals I'm new to this, well here goes.
I've recently acquired a 53 plate V70R, what a great car !!! Sadly tho the 4 wheel drive system has stopped working :-/

If I park on loose ground then set off with the hand brake on and the front wheels spin only.

There is no noise from the drive line and it drives fine front wheel drive only, it was working fine 3 weeks ago but now nothing :-/

It may be something silly but there is limited information available re AWD faults. So I hope someone on here can help.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:46
have you tried launching the car with the h/brake off and videoing that, may be it will work as Volvo intended without the handbrake restricting it......worth a try

jamesy12345
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:47
why handbrake on? try it without

edit too slooow

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:53
makes no sense to me why the handbrake is being used to test the awd, all that is likely to happen is to help destory your awd or the clutch....

rotax740
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:55
I tried with the handbrake on just to see, it wasn't fully on kind of just on. I was expecting the rear wheels to over come the braking force. ....... Rightly or wrongly :-(

I'll re try tomorrow without the brake on :-)

rotax740
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 22:59
I forgot to say my car is an auto and I didn't launch the car wildly just enough to see if the car wold bite.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:01
I tried with the handbrake on just to see, it wasn't fully on kind of just on. I was expecting the rear wheels to over come the braking force. ....... Rightly or wrongly :-(

I'll re try tomorrow without the brake on :-)

to be fair drive it onto a nice grassy patch and floor it you should have 4 nice tracks and all is good

jamesy12345
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:04
I seem to remember something about handbrakes & AWD...

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48025

To disable the rear axle, pull the emergency brake up one click. Helpful when the conditions cause the AWD to crab walk when such behavior is not desired.

Can anyone confirm

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:10
I seem to remember something about handbrakes & AWD...

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48025

To disable the rear axle, pull the emergency brake up one click. Helpful when the conditions cause the AWD to crab walk when such behavior is not desired.

Can anyone confirm
Sounds like it would use the handbrake switch to dactivate the haldex system so only the front wheels are driven.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:12
Sounds like it would use the handbrake switch to dactivate the haldex system so only the front wheels are driven.

I think I saw a road test where they did it

edit

oh and since we're in general section - this does not apply to the early P80 cars!!

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:15
oh and since we're in general section - this does not apply to the early P80 cars!!
You mean ones with the old school (better) mechanical AWD system :P :D

jamesy12345
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 23:18
You mean ones with the old school (better) mechanical AWD system :P :D

yep like Goldmember/Dr. Know parked on my drive

Dream3r
Friday 31st October 2014, 16:46
The Haldex is disengaged with the handbrake on.

Ettienne
Friday 31st October 2014, 18:00
The Haldex is disengaged with the handbrake on.

I seem to remember something about that handbrake and dynos

glock19
Thursday 13th November 2014, 01:43
To test your AWD, try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

Santa
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:08
The handbrake does disengage the rear wheel drive............up to a certain speed (I think)