PDA

View Full Version : Project 244 GLT Turbo

dionbullock
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:06
Hello all!

I thought I'd start a write up on the project that is about to start. MadMatt will be doing like 90% of the work, so technically it will be his project with my car(s)!! lol

The backstory:

I have been wanting to turbo my 240 since I bought it last year, but finding the time and money was difficult. Since the purchase of the 240, I have changed the shocks and springs to some classicswede ones, they made a world of difference! But always felt the car could do with some more grunt, with me being used to T5's, driving a 130bhp ish volvo leaves you wanting some more power!

The easiest route to more power in a 240 is probably a b230fk conversion, it can be done relatively cheaply and quickly. So i set out to look for a 940 lpt, and after a few months, one came up local for the right money! Bought it, and used it as a daily for a few months while it still had mot and tax left on it.

The plan:

Take out the engine from the 940, replace some service parts like oil seals, belts, filters and so on. Change the cam at the same time.

I have also bought some uprated parts to on the engine, such as an induction kit, T5 injectors, an MBC plus boost gauge, an de-restricted ecu, an uprated clutch from the 2.4TD version.

Hopefully an upgraded turbo if i can find a good cheap one! something like a 15g,16t or 18t, rather than the ickle 13c thats on it now, but this is proving difficult to source with a straight exit, not the angled exit! :( Might have to make do with the 13c for now.

The engine mount bushes will be changed to some classic sweede ones, along with an adjustable engine stabilizer bar. Some of the bushes on the back end will be done too!

One of the last jobs will be the exhaust, Ive had to go for a custom made one due to the bend in the down pipe clearing the steering colum. I havent decided on the type of tailpipe or number of silencers yet, i'll play it by ear :)

Whats happened so far...

The only thing that's happened so far is the 940 is in Matt's place, ready to be stripped out and for the engine to have the bits n bobs done, before it goes in the 240, which hopefully should be before the end of the year! :)

I'll try and get some pics up of how the project id progressing and I'm sure ive missed quite a few things out and made it sound a lot easier than it actually is (Like the wiring loom, intercooler pipe and so on - Matt did try to explain to me how he would go about solving these issue, but i was lost!)! All I can say is i'd have no idea where to start if it wasn't for Matt (MadMatt) and his brother Dai (classicswede) :thumbs_up:

I'll keep you updated :D

Ettienne
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:10
I'll be interested to see this as I know where a 242 is sitting, which I'd like to do something with

dionbullock
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:17
242's are rare! Would love one!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:18
You should be able to pick up a 15g/16T straight flange quite easy mate, all you do is clock it then(turn it from the middle)and bolt on :)

Jamest5r
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:21
I'll be interested to see this as I know where a 242 is sitting, which I'd like to do something with

Same one sitting at GRN? If that is a 242 I'm no good on these old cars :)

t5 pete
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:24
That's a 262 jim bob there is a few 242 over here but people are greedy and dont let them go cheep

good luck with the conversion there are a few 240s with it done now so shiuld be pleanty of info out there

Ettienne
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:29
No on a chaps front garden but wants mental money for it

Sweep
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:29
242 is the two door, didn't get them here, uber cool!

Bare in mind the B230fk has the dizzy mounted on the back of the head, will need a cutout in the bulkhead, or there should be another place on the head where you can use a different dizzy.

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 18:46
16v!!!

t5 pete
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 19:00
16v!!!

Picked one of them up for my 240 turbo a few months back

t5 pete
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 19:01
No on a chaps front garden but wants mental money for it

If its a red one the pics I saw of it showed lots of rot

Shinsplintz 101
Tuesday 28th October 2014, 19:34
Nice project - I've got an 18t with a straight outlet going spare if your interested, pm me for futher details. Cheers, morgan

dionbullock
Wednesday 29th October 2014, 21:54
16v would be cool! T5 would be awesome! But for now to keep costs down (xmas is comming!!) this engine swap has been done quite a few times, so hopefully it should be a stress free conversion :)

With the suspension work done and the extra power, no tc or abs or electronic gimmicks, she should be fun to drive!! :D

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 29th October 2014, 23:05
i have a man torturing me to take his volvo 264? a v6 240 low miles and lpg converted still working also ha a brand new engine on a pallet for it no miles lol
on another note ive a cheap 15g/con pm me if your intrested

jks
Wednesday 29th October 2014, 23:14
never seen a 242 in U.K, You can go wasted spark, mount the coil on bulk head, with Buchka board..

classicswede
Thursday 30th October 2014, 01:08
There are a few 242's about but not many. A scrapped a VERY rotten one 10 years ago that was RHD and UK car. My dad has `1980 242 that is on his project list

RollingThunder
Friday 31st October 2014, 14:12
I put a 15G on my old B230FK engined 940 - pretty easy job IIRC. Loosen central clamp, rotate to suit, tighten clamp. Fabricate actuator valve bracket and fit flexi hoses and MBC. Job done :)

dionbullock
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 10:28
Engines out of the 940 :) Will be sent off to put an A cam, new oil seals and gaskets! Never realized how large the engine bay on a 940 was! Could rent it out to a family of immigrants! :D

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/IMG_2096_zps7a6cb9d6.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/IMG_2096_zps7a6cb9d6.jpg.html)

Doingitsideways
Tuesday 4th November 2014, 11:19
Never realized how large the engine bay on a 940 was! Could rent it out to a family of immigrants! :D

I remember thinking the same thing when I whipped the engine out of the 960.
That's essentially the same engine bay, and it swallows a straight 6 with ease!

Coming along nicely.
Nice conversion, the 240 turbo :)

dionbullock
Thursday 13th November 2014, 13:53
Just ordered these for the 240! 17inch Lenso BSX in silver!

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/LensoBSX_zps6ced3a01.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/LensoBSX_zps6ced3a01.jpg.html)

stribo
Thursday 13th November 2014, 14:10
Nice, they'll be a bitch to clean though.;)

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 16:32
i went with spacers and 850 fitment, much wider choice of wheels

could of had pegs lol

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn231/Davin44/tbricks%20help%20copies/large_164954-1570124.jpg

Sweep
Thursday 13th November 2014, 17:55
Doesn't work for me I'm afraid :(

dionbullock
Thursday 13th November 2014, 18:32
I feel that pegs are a too modern look, the 240 suits something with a dish, like the viragos that are on it. I looked at spacers plus wheels, the cost was just too much to justify. I may do one day, but these wheels, plus falken tyres were very reasonably priced for a new set.

Saaamon
Thursday 13th November 2014, 18:36
I think that's an excellent wheel choice. What size are they?

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 18:41
I feel that pegs are a too modern look, the 240 suits something with a dish, like the viragos that are on it. I looked at spacers plus wheels, the cost was just too much to justify. I may do one day, but these wheels, plus falken tyres were very reasonably priced for a new set.

i found that the 850 wheels were cheaper so as to offset the price of the spacers

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 18:41
Doesn't work for me I'm afraid :(

old cars do look better with a dish though like mine lol

dionbullock
Thursday 13th November 2014, 18:48
Theyre 17's with 7.5 wide rims, i really wanted the wider wheels, there was a 9' wide option, but a lot of arch work would have been needed

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:01
if i was you i would convert the front end to single round lights

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MiZ-UqDwf6c/S3bKKmx4cWI/AAAAAAAACcM/Du6q0PgO-AU/s1600/1977+Volvo+245+DL+Turbo+Diesel+Wagon+5.jpg

Ettienne
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:07
if i was you i would convert the front end to single round lights

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MiZ-UqDwf6c/S3bKKmx4cWI/AAAAAAAACcM/Du6q0PgO-AU/s1600/1977+Volvo+245+DL+Turbo+Diesel+Wagon+5.jpg

I love the 242 245 with round light front end. If I find a decent one I'll buy and stick all the parts form the 940 in it.

dionbullock
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:14
I thought about converting to round headlights, its much more involved than one first realizes! A grill, headlights and bonnet is required, note the flat front bonnet on that early yellow 240, mine has a bulge in the middle, thats where my grill sits under.

Its possible, but a lot of work :)

t5 pete
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:32
Just ordered these for the 240! 17inch Lenso BSX in silver!

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/LensoBSX_zps6ced3a01.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/LensoBSX_zps6ced3a01.jpg.html)
Wow they look nice cannot wait for the piccys

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:33
what about a nice 142? yum yum

http://stancewords.stanceworks.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/greg-keysar-volvo-142-title.jpg

T5frankie
Thursday 13th November 2014, 19:35
http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/PMcG-OijOij-Volvo-242-BMW-Turbo-3.jpg

Doingitsideways
Thursday 13th November 2014, 21:23
The scuttle needs to be changed too, to do a proper job :(

They do look great though.

Those wheels will look epic on a 240! :D

Oh, love that 142 btw Frankie. Top bombing!

dionbullock
Thursday 13th November 2014, 21:35
Those are awesome! ^^^

classicswede
Thursday 13th November 2014, 22:01
The scuttle needs to be changed too, to do a proper job :(

They do look great though.

Those wheels will look epic on a 240! :D

Oh, love that 142 btw Frankie. Top bombing!

Not if you use the 1981 bonnet but that will not be easy to find

Doingitsideways
Thursday 13th November 2014, 22:41
Not if you use the 1981 bonnet but that will not be easy to find

I'd be willing to bet my left knacker your Dad's got one knocking about though!! ;)

dionbullock
Wednesday 19th November 2014, 11:41
Slight delay on the wheels, the courier they used are pretty much useless i'm sorry to say. Waited in last wednesday (expected delivery day), nothing, Thursday, nothing, got a card with attempted delivery with 5pm on it, phoned them to re arrange delivery for monday 17th, took a day off work n all, nothing came, waited in yesterday, nothing again!

Phoned them up today "Oh they have been returned to sender..." Jeez! And the consignment number had been changed, so I couldn't track it online.

Like my parents used to say... I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

RollingThunder
Thursday 20th November 2014, 14:29
Disappointed? I'd be apoplectic !!!

Ettienne
Thursday 20th November 2014, 14:38
Slight delay on the wheels, the courier they used are pretty much useless i'm sorry to say. Waited in last wednesday (expected delivery day), nothing, Thursday, nothing, got a card with attempted delivery with 5pm on it, phoned them to re arrange delivery for monday 17th, took a day off work n all, nothing came, waited in yesterday, nothing again!

Phoned them up today "Oh they have been returned to sender..." Jeez! And the consignment number had been changed, so I couldn't track it online.

Like my parents used to say... I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

I hope I don't gave as much trouble, waiting for my 17 x 7 steelies.

Was it home or yodel as it now is?

dionbullock
Thursday 20th November 2014, 19:50
They came about an hour ago, after taking another day off work!

Fairplay to rimstyle though, as soon as i got in touch with a lad called Gary, he sorted everything out from his end. It was down to a poor concept of communication the delivery company had. It was with UkMail, but a CooperCarrier van showed up...

Atleast theyre here now, i'll have to get them fitted asap! Stood them up against the 240 in the failing light earlier! 27484

martybelfastt5
Thursday 20th November 2014, 21:19
ooh they are lovely

t5 pete
Thursday 20th November 2014, 21:44
They are going to look great

MoleT-5R
Friday 21st November 2014, 11:13
funny you mentioned cooper carriers, as it is alway them that I have trouble with up here (and there sister company countrywide), the only guarantee you'll get, is them being late on delivery, with damaged goods, as they have spent the last umpteen days banging around in the back of their van.

Any way wheels are looking good there mate.

dionbullock
Friday 21st November 2014, 18:48
Theyre on :)

dionbullock
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 10:40
Hi guys! It's been a few months since I last updated this thread. Truth be told there hasn't been a lot happening since my last update. I have been buying and collecting parts together ready for the build over the past few months.

They included things like oil seals and gaskets, head gasket, upgraded cam, TD clutch kit and a few other smaller bits n bobs.

Matt had taken the engine out of the 940, stripped it down, sent it away to have the cam and head gasket sorted and then built it all back up. The b230ft was ready to go in my 240!!

My 240 was due an MOT at the beginning of this month, so I asked Matt to put it through an MOT before starting the conversion. This is where it all falls apart.... We knew it needed some welding in the usual places on the cills, nothing major. But when Matt looked closer under the car he found there was a shed load of rot on the inner rear arches What we think has happened is the previous owner has had some replacement arches in the past, but done a ****ty job at it. :(

Which left me with a 240 with no MOT and would cost a sum to put right.... The rusty cogs in my head started turning and thought to myself "Why don't I just buy another 240? With no rot?!" For what the parts - inner and outer arches etc, labour and paint would cost to put the car right, I could buy a later spec estate for about the same money. Plus ive always wanted an estate! Then most of my GLT bits will swap over to that - adjustable shocks and sport springs, anti roll bars, wheels etc

Last week, Matt and myself took a trip to look at a 240 SE, car looked good, deal was done and we drove it home!

This "minor update" to this thread is actually quite huge, instead of converting my red 244, We are now going to convert my new silver 245 An added bonus is because its a later spec car, there's no issues with the management when swapping the engine over! A lot less hassle!
It has the blue seats, which I hope to change for some black leather ones at some point, my Lenso wheels and adjustable suspension will swap straight over too!

after the engine swap and for matt to do a few extra bits n bobs, its off for a full stainless system, not sure how loud to aim for? I dont want it droning inside the car, but a nice burble would be ideal. As it will be a custom system, he can make it as quiet or as loud as i want!

kmb
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 14:44
Looking forward to pictures of the silver one, red one above looked great on the new wheels :)

Orca2
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 15:10
Theyre on :)

Oooh they are nice, shiny shiny.

dionbullock
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:37
Couple of pics from the previous owner, it will look a lot better with the new wheels and lowered stance!

jamesy12345
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 19:42
where'd you find these 240's?? very nice

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:02
You got to look in the right places and be part of the secret society

hemihusky
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:05
but you gotta be part of the secret 240 society. we have a secret society for us 740 drivers too. we all hide away n talk about faulty fuel guages n headlinings!

jamesy12345
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 20:11
You got to look in the right places and be part of the secret society

funny handshakes & all that. When you...I mean Wayne...come to collect that S70, you'll need to teach me

Jamest5r
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 21:04
Couple of pics from the previous owner, it will look a lot better with the new wheels and lowered stance!

Me likes that :), going to look the nuts when you transfer all the bits over, good choice

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 21:45
funny handshakes & all that. When you...I mean Wayne...come to collect that S70, you'll need to teach me

Haha it feels a little strange at first but once you.get used to it it's rather nice.
As for the little man not heard from him I fear he told the wife and has now been castrated

jamesy12345
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 21:47
Haha it feels a little strange at first but once you.get used to it it's rather nice.
As for the little man not heard from him I fear he told the wife and has now been castrated

lol oh dear

dionbullock
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 22:59

Not so much secret handshakes n all that.... :) combination of searching places other than ebay! And travelling a good 6 hours round trip to pick them up! Haha!

There is a secret wave though... :D

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2015, 23:09
Not so much secret handshakes n all that.... :) combination of searching places other than ebay! And travelling a good 6 hours round trip to pick them up! Haha!

There is a secret wave though... :D

Ah so you haven't been fully broke In then if your still in with the wave :wavey::wavey::wavey:

dionbullock
Thursday 9th April 2015, 13:21
Small update - Gave Matt a hand the other day preparing the car to take the engine out.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy8ragq3r.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy8ragq3r.jpg.html)

Engine sitting there ready for a hoist to lift it out
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdbsdkqdv.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdbsdkqdv.jpg.html)

Look at that patch work on the downpipe!
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshj1nrnms.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshj1nrnms.jpg.html)

Few parts taken off

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsncqermyw.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsncqermyw.jpg.html)

Didn't take that long to get it ready to be lifted out, I think that's partly (or mostly) due to Matt's knowledge of what to take out and how, even knowing what size socket/spanner to use on each bolt and nut from memory!

stribo
Thursday 9th April 2015, 14:25
Liking the downpipe, that's quality workmanship. :D

dionbullock
Monday 13th April 2015, 09:05
Just wait until I get some photos of the middle box that's been patched up! Makes the downpipe look like a normal patch!!

dionbullock
Monday 13th April 2015, 20:20
Engine out :)

dionbullock
Thursday 23rd April 2015, 11:24
Taking the necessary bits off the b200 and fitting them to the b230fk, We were missing a couple of gaskets and seals, quick call to Volvo and we had them delivered same day!! Carry on tonight putting everything back on, then hopefully we can sort the intercooler and turbo bits this weekend ready for a custom stainless exhaust at the start of the week Thanks to Matt :)

B200 looking sorry for itself...
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1tmxi7st.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1tmxi7st.jpg.html)

B230FK nearly ready to go back in :D
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsn5aofcji.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsn5aofcji.jpg.html)

dionbullock
Thursday 23rd July 2015, 14:05
Few updates;

Engine is in, and running! Will be fitting exhaust and swapping suspension round this week hopefully! Still few bits n bobs to finish off but its 90% there!

This was it's first start up after fitting the turbo lump!
http://vid432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/240%20turbo%20start%20up_zpskyizrnuf.mp4

Sweep
Thursday 23rd July 2015, 19:29
So straight start up from cold and you're revving the nuts off it?!

dionbullock
Thursday 23rd July 2015, 22:51
Only did it the once :) as the lambda wasnt wired aro nout it wouldnt idle, im glad it started at all to be honest!!

dionbullock
Thursday 23rd July 2015, 23:16
So tonight involved swapping my classic swede shocks n springs from my glt to the SE, oh amd the wheels! So now she looks like this! Only the exhaust and a few niggles under the bonnet to do!! :)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dionbullock/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp3xm4spx.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/dionbullock/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp3xm4spx.jpg.html)

Sweep
Friday 24th July 2015, 18:46
Oh boy that looks good, I think the front needs to come down a little though!

dionbullock
Tuesday 1st September 2015, 10:18
Just to let you all know she is now finished and on the road!!! A couple of small jobs to do, but nothing major!

It's set at just under 1bar of boost at the mo, its got a slight misfire at full chat, but this is suspected to be plugs/leads as its still on the old set. I will get round to ordering upgraded ones when my next paycheck comes in!! :D

Will get some more photos up over the next few days :)

twr
Tuesday 1st September 2015, 10:23
Excellent, look forward to some pics of it finished.

oblark
Tuesday 1st September 2015, 17:57
Just to let you all know she is now finished and on the road!!! A couple of small jobs to do, but nothing major!

It's set at just under 1bar of boost at the mo, its got a slight misfire at full chat, but this is suspected to be plugs/leads as its still on the old set. I will get round to ordering upgraded ones when my next paycheck comes in!! :D

Will get some more photos up over the next few days :)

I had similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the HT coil.

dionbullock
Wednesday 9th September 2015, 09:51
Turned out the problem was the boost was set a little bit too high! The ecu and MAF were having hissy fits trying to cope! Turned the MBC down a bit and its running much better now!

On the shopping list in the near future... 3" 960 MAF and chip the ecu... and turn the boost back up! :D