PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5 intercooler faulty

flufftec
Sunday 26th October 2014, 20:16
I have a 51plate S60 D5 and found out today that the intercooler has splitits done just shy of 170k,

Firstly how much further damage will it cause if I continue to drive the car?

I have checked ebay and I notice there are 2 different types, 1 with sensor and one without, how do I find out which one I need? are the £100ish ebay ones any good as I see alot of people have bought them? When fitting it would I gain anything from removing the air con rad as it has a massive hole in it so no good anyway? also would a nakard intercooler make the car 'throb' whilst driving at a steady speed

Thanks

stephenevans99
Sunday 26th October 2014, 21:39
On a 2001 D5, I'm certain yours is without the thermo sensor.

The thermal sensor (if it had one) is located on the top of nearside outlet of the intercooler, so if you look downwards at the outlet on the passenger side - it shouldn't have anything bolted to it.

Personally, I'd spend a few extra ££ and buy a Nissens intercooler...approx £130, these are probably as near to OE quality for about half the price of a Volvo supplied one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSENS-Intercooler-VOLVO-S60-D5-D5252T-00-/310946090145?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4865d4cca1

Just worth double checking with the supplier to confirm whether it comes with or without the thermal hole.

I reckon driving a D5 with a 'popped' intercooler would be painfully slow and hesitant, probably a fair amount of black smoke out the exhaust when you put your foot down too.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 26th October 2014, 22:52
As mentioned above, youll get a loss of power, poorer fuel consumption and some black smoke. I cant forsee it causing any harm in the short term but I'd certainly replace it as soon as you can.

Its a front end off job but fortunately that's quite simple to do too. Mine was a 02 and had no sensor.

few pics in the thread link below:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?42447-TFM-s-Project-Oil-Burner&p=478676&viewfull=1#post478676

flufftec
Monday 27th October 2014, 05:28
Thanks both, I ordered one last night so should be here tomorrow ready for the weekend, I noticed it was down on power and felt like it was backing off now and again and thought it was the injectors but hopefully this will sort it

p fandango
Monday 27th October 2014, 06:32
alot of people say a Nissen one is better than OE, & i managed to change mine with the front still on. My 2002 also didn't have the sensor, but the intercooler came with the hole so just blocked it with a nut & bolt

stephenevans99
Monday 27th October 2014, 14:10
noticed it was down on power and felt like it was backing off now and again and thought it was the injectors but hopefully this will sort it

May also be worth changing the fuel filter.....cheap and easy to do.