PDA

View Full Version : 850 wheels on the S60???

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 00:11
Will a set of 15 or 16" 850 wheels fit onto an S60?

I need some cheapo wheels for the snow tyres but dont want to get steelies! I'm not too bothered about the looks/condition as they will get scrached to pieces by the chains!

The 16" S60 wheels seem to be a rare sight indeed on eBay and 17" with 225 width is far too much for snow tyres!

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th November 2005, 08:31
Hmmm snow chains.......I want some!! But I dont know much about them can you shed a little light for me Darren?

x

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th November 2005, 09:17

!

I have seen S60 wheels on an 850 (the ones with loads of spokes) so presumably it can be done, you may need to get the P1 70 series 16's tho as your brakes will probably be bigger than the 850's?

x

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:15
Hmmm snow chains.......I want some!! But I dont know much about them can you shed a little light for me Darren?

x

Sure... what would you like to know?

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:19
I have seen S60 wheels on an 850 (the ones with loads of spokes) so presumably it can be done, you may need to get the P1 70 series 16's tho as your brakes will probably be bigger than the 850's?

x

Thats a very good point Mopp, didn't think about the brakes... no idea what the S60's brake sizes are :slap:

What is the lowest width you can put on a p1 70-series 16" ? They come as standard with 205 tyres, but will 195 be OK? The skinnier the better!

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:23
Sure... what would you like to know?

Will they stop me from crashing like I did last year? LOL!! :slap:

x

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:28
Will they stop me from crashing like I did last year? LOL!! :slap:

x

You crashed last year? Whoops! :insane:

They helped me up a Swiss mountain pass when the car would go no further, 11pm at night, -18 degrees and a good few inches of packed ice/snow somewhat impedes traction! Without chains I would have been stranded!

I should have had them on going down the pass too, but I didn't... I just let the ABS slow me right down before the corners (just touching the pedal lightly was enough to activate the thump-thump-thump of the ABS!) and then kept the speed down around the corners trying to stop the rear tyres letting go and drifting around teh corners! :)

Engineer
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:34

I need some cheapo wheels for the snow tyres but dont want to get steelies! I'm not too bothered about the looks/condition as they will get scrached to pieces by the chains!

The 16" S60 wheels seem to be a rare sight indeed on eBay and 17" with 225 width is far too much for snow tyres!

Watch the wheel bolt thread sizes they increased in diameter on later models around 2002my I think, but check it out before you buy.

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:34
I should have had them on going down the pass too, but I didn't... I just let the ABS slow me right down before the corners (just touching the pedal lightly was enough to activate the thump-thump-thump of the ABS!) and then kept the speed down around the corners trying to stop the rear tyres letting go and drifting around teh corners! :)

Eughhh that sounds like my worst nightmare! I hate driving in the snow and I would really like somehing that makes the whole process a little less scarey which is why I thought of the snow chains........

And yeah i had a minor bump last year...Wasn't my fault tho!!! :B_blite: No damage to the 850 tho (good old tanks!)

x

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:40
Eughhh that sounds like my worst nightmare! I hate driving in the snow and I would really like somehing that makes the whole process a little less scarey which is why I thought of the snow chains........

x

You need a set of proper Snow tyres, you'll then be fine!! Chains aren't needed unless it's somewhat extreme, which may still apply in such places oop north!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/volvoturbo5/IMG_4540.jpg

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:43
A centimeter is extreme right? LOL

*goes off to search the world wide web for snow tyres*

Fank you!

x

S60D5
Friday 18th November 2005, 11:45
A centimeter is extreme right? LOL

*goes off to search the world wide web for snow tyres*

Fank you!

x

Hint: mytyres.co.uk ;)

Oh yeah, skinnier the better, and it might be cheaper to get a set of cheapo wheels for the tyres! That way you can effortlessly swap over to the snow tyres year after year...

Straker
Friday 18th November 2005, 12:56
Hello there S60D5

This is an interesting question as I am doing exactally the same thing just he other way round.

I have an 850 currently running on S60 17" but I also want to keep a set of 16" for snow tyres....

I still have my old T5 wheels (colombars) but was told that they wouldn't fit over the 302mm brake conversion for the 850 (which I am about to do). however for the more modern cars (S60) are the brakes different and will they accept the colombar wheels.

If yes the S60D I'll do you a deal on my old rims. We need ALI in on this one....