PDA

View Full Version : 2000 v70 t5

t5_jim
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 17:59
H I guys, a 2000 model year Volvo v70 t5 se automatic has come up for sale quite locally and is a relatively cheap price, high miles(202`000) but service history upto 150k apparently.
As I`m currently running the 850t5 would the v70 be a wise choice if I bought it not knowing much about their common faults if any???
what should I be wary of about this model year? ?
thanks....Jim

LiamT4
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 18:14
Which shape v70, classic (97>2000) or phase 2 (2000>)?

Biff
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 18:28
I'd stick to the 850 dude.
Pre 2003 p2's are an absolute pain with relation to instrument failures & throttle body problems.
If it's a p1 then it will be me7 & again can suffer from throttle module problems.
With the 850 something go's wrong you can fit 2nd hand parts without the need to have them coded to the ecu.
I for one love the simplicity of that & don't really care about age.

t5_jim
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 19:22
Its a P2

M-R-P
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 19:24
Avoid.

That is all.

t5_jim
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 19:29
Avoid.

That is all.

Lol..for what reasons? They cant be that bad surely? Your sig is a 2003 v70. Has it turned into a nightmare of a money pit(minus mod costs obviously):smirk:

M-R-P
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 19:58
Lol..for what reasons? They cant be that bad surely? Your sig is a 2003 v70. Has it turned into a nightmare of a money pit(minus mod costs obviously):smirk:

Nowhere near as bad as yours could potentially be.
The speedo, the throttle are likely to fail if they haven't gone already and if the throttle gets fixed, it'll eventually go again.
But worst of all is the auto box. They almost always fail at some point even if they're meticulously maintained.

Don't get me wrong, not all of them are bad but it's a very small percentage I'm afraid.

t5_jim
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 20:03
ok thats wise words. I do really like the look of the P2 though and to be honest it might be worth a risk or turn into a money pit.....Decisions decisions...........

jdavis
Friday 24th October 2014, 08:31
As an ex p2 owner. I'd say avoid. Unless it has had a new throttle body, new dim, new transmission and all software updates. Walk away.

Biff
Friday 24th October 2014, 20:03

The reasons I stated.
Do people think we just make this up or what?

Jamest5r
Friday 24th October 2014, 20:48
The reasons I stated.
Do people think we just make this up or what?

Yep all made up just to add to your post count :)

Biff
Friday 24th October 2014, 22:02
Yep all made up just to add to your post count :)

I'm not trying to get into double figures jim, just give a little advice seeing as I looked into near enough every volvo before falling for p1's.
Hey your on 10k you volvo geek! Lol get you now. ;)

Jamest5r
Friday 24th October 2014, 22:08
I'm not trying to get into double figures jim, just give a little advice seeing as I looked into near enough every volvo before falling for p1's.
Hey your on 10k you volvo geek! Lol get you now. ;)

I know I was taking the piss just seems some people need to be told 5 times which is understandable when you have people like jamesT5 around :)

Biff
Friday 24th October 2014, 22:25
I know I was taking the piss just seems some people need to be told 5 times which is understandable when you have people like jamesT5 around :)

I give up with him, refuse to read anything related to him for fear of being branded a bully.
Just some people can't be helped! Lol

stribo
Saturday 25th October 2014, 07:44
I give up with him, refuse to read anything related to him for fear of being branded a bully.
Just some people can't be helped! Lol

Do you not notice a pattern? JamesT5 and T5 Jim. :lol:

V70 Graham
Saturday 25th October 2014, 08:58
Do you not notice a pattern? JamesT5 and T5 Jim. :lol:

Probably the same person, if it s 2 they MUST be related !

t5_jim
Sunday 26th October 2014, 13:22
Probably the same person, if it s 2 they MUST be related !

no not the same person and not related. Apologies for having a similar name to another member and I don't care about how many posts I have put up.
All I asked for was some advice.
Many thanks for the beating

stribo
Sunday 26th October 2014, 13:33
no not the same person and not related. Apologies for having a similar name to another member.
All I asked for was some advice.
Many thanks for the beating

You're welcome. :D TBF you were given first hand accounts of how expensive repairs could be on this car, and you're still not sure, so does make people wonder why they bother. Just to give you some of the facts, MRPs DIM packed up, leaving him with a bill of around £750, but a great video. Jdavis' geartronic gearbox packed up, and it would have cost more to repair/replace than the car was worth. These are not isolated incidents, these are just 2 from people that have posted on your thread. At the end of the day it's your decision, but you came to the right place, asked the right questions, with the answers you've been given, surely it's a no brainer. :)

t5_jim
Sunday 26th October 2014, 13:44
Appreciated Stribo.
I do value peoples experience and knowledge and it is for this reason I joined the forum.
Many thanks...Jim...(that's t5_jim and not JamesT5 btw :) )

jamesy12345
Sunday 26th October 2014, 14:05
My advice doesn't mean a great deal cos I've never owned one of these, but the S40 I have is about as new as I would go with a Volvo....far too complicated for my skills/patience/wallet. I follow the problems some of the above guys have had and the cars would have went in the bin in my ownership

On a side note I know a guy who is a bit of a todger has just got a 51 plate s60 muhahahaa...enjoy))

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 26th October 2014, 14:27
If I'd done any homework before purchasing, having seen the doom and gloom on here about the early Ph2s, I probably wouldn't have bought my 2000 (X reg) V70 T5.

I've had mine for a couple of years, and it's now on about 92k. So far, touch wood, I've had no electrical issues bar the following - an isolated instance of the "start prevented" message a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday, when I locked the car I noticed the lights were still on, even though the knob was turned off. I unlocked it, turned the knob to the next position and back again, relocked it and they were off again.

Yeah, maybe I will start to have a catalogue of issues at some point. Maybe my DIM will fail, maybe I'll have ETM issues. But I bought it as a bit of "spur of the moment" thing because I needed a new car, it was local, and it was a low mileage manual T5, and they just don't come up that often around here. I don't regret that, because so far it's been fine.

I'm not going to say "go for it" and encourage you to buy an early Ph2, but I wouldn't discourage it either. Get a later car if you can, but if there's reasons to buy the one you posted about, then just make sure it's cheap and you have a budget for repairs if and when things go wrong. Ideally, take the bangernomics approach and buy it cheap enough that you can justify scrapping it a year down the line if things start to go wrong. Then see how it goes.

t5_jim
Sunday 26th October 2014, 14:48
If I'd done any homework before purchasing, having seen the doom and gloom on here about the early Ph2s, I probably wouldn't have bought my 2000 (X reg) V70 T5.

I've had mine for a couple of years, and it's now on about 92k. So far, touch wood, I've had no electrical issues bar the following - an isolated instance of the "start prevented" message a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday, when I locked the car I noticed the lights were still on, even though the knob was turned off. I unlocked it, turned the knob to the next position and back again, relocked it and they were off again.

Yeah, maybe I will start to have a catalogue of issues at some point. Maybe my DIM will fail, maybe I'll have ETM issues. But I bought it as a bit of "spur of the moment" thing because I needed a new car, it was local, and it was a low mileage manual T5, and they just don't come up that often around here. I don't regret that, because so far it's been fine.

I'm not going to say "go for it" and encourage you to buy an early Ph2, but I wouldn't discourage it either. Get a later car if you can, but if there's reasons to buy the one you posted about, then just make sure it's cheap and you have a budget for repairs if and when things go wrong. Ideally, take the bangernomics approach and buy it cheap enough that you can justify scrapping it a year down the line if things start to go wrong. Then see how it goes.

many thanks

LiamT4
Sunday 26th October 2014, 15:03
What you have to remember is that the replies are based on the car in question, which is a very early phase 2 automatic with 202k miles on it. This is why people are suggesting thats its probably best you give that particular car a miss..

LiamT4
Sunday 26th October 2014, 15:05
and it was a low mileage manual T5.

This ^^^ is the big difference between your car and the car the OP is looking at.

Gold 'N' Brown
Sunday 26th October 2014, 16:14
This ^^^ is the big difference between your car and the car the OP is looking at.

Fair point Liam. Though you could also consider that at the mileage a lot of the typical problems may have already occurred and been rectified.

Only reason I pipped in was to try and show the opposite side of the argument as early Ph2s get slagged off quite a lot.

LiamT4
Sunday 26th October 2014, 16:38
Fair point Liam. Though you could also consider that at the mileage a lot of the typical problems may have already occurred and been rectified.

Only reason I pipped in was to try and show the opposite side of the argument as early Ph2s get slagged off quite a lot.

You may be right on most of the issues but i would be very concerned about the auto box at those miles, although the standard autos are supposed to be more reliable than the geartronics.
If the box has been replaced relatively recently, then that would be a big plus.