PDA

View Full Version : My v70 r nightmare

Craigtange
Saturday 18th October 2014, 15:43
Hi all,

Ok where to begin. I have been through 2 engines in my car, and both suffered from a cracked liner. The first engine had 150k on it so fair enough and the second (reconditioned) engine from evolv spares, Preston with 50k on it. My car has the elevate air box with Graeme's 3" intake pipe and his 200cell cat flowing through a ipd 3" oval cat back exhaust. I haven't had the car re-mapped yet. Is this enough to destroy 2 engines or am I just unlucky. The financial hole I am throwing money into is getting crazy. I am willing to roll the dice one more time before I do street fighter bonus round on this car. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Craig

It's a 2005 v70 r

Harvey
Saturday 18th October 2014, 16:13
Shim the block it's worked for a couple of engines on here.

claymore
Saturday 18th October 2014, 16:14
If you put another engine in, just make sure you shim the liners first, or you could shim the liners on the block you've just cracked if you have the head off already.

EDIT: to slow...lol

Harvey
Saturday 18th October 2014, 16:15
Or spend spend.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?54590-Has-anyone-had-Darton-Liners-fitted-in-the-uk&highlight=V70r+shim

oblark
Saturday 18th October 2014, 16:39
Shim the block it's worked for a couple of engines on here.

Ettienne shimmed his split liner and has no problems seens.

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 17:34
Yeah I would go for the shimming before a new one, the 2.5 really is the ££££test engine Volvo has made for the performance cars, I actually wish that someone would take them to court lol.

Ettienne
Saturday 18th October 2014, 18:05
Definitely shimming it's very easy to do, mine been fine since and it's all town work in traffic in the summer heat, not lost a drop of coolant.

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:26
Can any garage do this or is it a machine shop job? I want it but I'm scared they reck my engine.

Harvey
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:34
Can any garage do this or is it a machine shop job? I want it but I'm scared they reck my engine.

If they can change a head gasket,should be fine.

claymore
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:36
Any one could do it once the head is off, it's just a case of putting some shims of aluminum or stainless steel between the liners, it only takes 10 minutes.

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:37
Ok Harvey the reason I asked was because I got told the guy on t5d5 was the only one that could really do it, sorry can't remember his name

claymore
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:38
Ok Harvey the reason I asked was because I got told the guy on t5d5 was the only one that could really do it, sorry can't remember his name

Tim Williams

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:38
So its definitely worth it would you say? Just always wairy of stuff like this

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:39
Tim Williams

Correct, I even got a price from him and it wasn't that expensive at all.

claymore
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:50
So its definitely worth it would you say? Just always wairy of stuff like this

It's basically preventative maintenance.

Ettienne
Saturday 18th October 2014, 19:52
I used my local Indy to replace the head gasket, I shimmed the liners it's not hard to do.

volvokid
Saturday 18th October 2014, 20:03
It's basically preventative maintenance.
That's exactly my thinking! Yeah I want this done

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 04:51
I looked at this thread before on shimming. Looks a little complicated. There was a discussion to whether they should be flush or raised....blah blah blah. Does anyone have contact details for this guy. Is he able to travel to Preston to do this or do I have to remove the block and send it to him. To be honest I think I have had enough. What is the point of having 300bhp if you cant use them because the bottom end design is ££££. :(

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 05:10
I used my local Indy to replace the head gasket, I shimmed the liners it's not hard to do.

Hi there, thanks for the input do you have guidelines on how to do this. Where to get the materials etc.

claymore
Sunday 19th October 2014, 09:35
Hi there, thanks for the input do you have guidelines on how to do this. Where to get the materials etc.

just use some feeler gauges to find out the size of your slots, cut some strips of aluminum or stainless steel the right thickness and push into the slots, job done.

Before:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130311_112742-1.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130311_112742-1.jpg.html)

After:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20130312_130533.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/20130312_130533.jpg.html)

oblark
Sunday 19th October 2014, 11:34
Here`s one I did earlier :)

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/Project%20ME7/20140826_172803.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/Project%20ME7/20140826_172803.jpg.html)

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 17:15
Hey, guys thanks very much for that info, It does look easier than expected, I assume it has to be a snug fit to hold it in place.

Redbrick
Sunday 19th October 2014, 17:53
I'll PM you the contact details of Tim Williams, he is based in Coalville. He has shimmed hundreds of Focus ST's and built and mapped my current engine in my 850, which is also shimmed ;) many of us in the Volvo community use him.

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 18:48
I'll PM you the contact details of Tim Williams, he is based in Coalville. He has shimmed hundreds of Focus ST's and built and mapped my current engine in my 850, which is also shimmed ;) many of us in the Volvo community use him.

Do you think he would travel to do it or would I need to get the bottom end down to him, logistically it will be pretty difficult as the car is in Preston just now and I live in Aberdeen. ( currently offshore in the Indian Ocean) looks like it could be easy enough to do. What do you think? Thanks for info.

Redbrick
Sunday 19th October 2014, 19:32
Do you think he would travel to do it or would I need to get the bottom end down to him, logistically it will be pretty difficult as the car is in Preston just now and I live in Aberdeen. ( currently offshore in the Indian Ocean) looks like it could be easy enough to do. What do you think? Thanks for info.

I know he does travel so make contact and ask the question.

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 20:26
Sorry again guys, I assume I will have to get a reconditioned block or second hand one as my liner is cracked already. I think to replace a liner is silly money.

This is probably a silly question.

stribo
Sunday 19th October 2014, 20:40
Sorry again guys, I assume I will have to get a reconditioned block or second hand one as my liner is cracked already. I think to replace a liner is silly money.

Engines with split liners can be shimmed, and although Tim, or others won't guarantee them, the success rate is very good.

claymore
Sunday 19th October 2014, 20:42

If you read back, you will see that both Ettienne and myself had split liners and shimming them repaired them .

claymore
Sunday 19th October 2014, 20:54

Was that post a mistake? if not, the answer is no, you don't need another block :)

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 21:01
Was that post a mistake? if not, the answer is no, you don't need another block :)

Yeah sorry I posted twice ��

Craigtange
Sunday 19th October 2014, 21:05
Thanks very much for all the help guys, I will try and contact tim tomorrow. Glad there is a distant glow of light at the end of the tunnel :) I think I will get it shimmed and then re-mapped. Hopefully that will be the end of the problems for a while.

Craigtange
Monday 20th October 2014, 09:29
If you read back, you will see that both Ettienne and myself had split liners and shimming them repaired them .

Hi there. Sorry 1 last question.

I haven't seen my block yet and where the crack is situated. I assume it is in the area where you put the shims. Would it still be ok to shim if the crack is somewhere other than this.

Thanks craig

claymore
Monday 20th October 2014, 16:01
Hi there. Sorry 1 last question.

I haven't seen my block yet and where the crack is situated. I assume it is in the area where you put the shims. Would it still be ok to shim if the crack is somewhere other than this.

Thanks craig

they only ever split where you need to shim as it's a weak point.

LeeT5
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 19:46
Good luck getting hold of him!

volvokid
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 19:51
I felt like bringing you Into this post but it wasn't my place

stribo
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 19:59

Yeah, not an easy man to reach.