PDA

View Full Version : Turbo heat blankets

Saaamon
Sunday 12th October 2014, 01:49
I have a problem and that's the brakes fade very quickly when used quite hard use, I run 302's with volvo pads and recently renewed DOT 4. I think the main contributing factor to this is that I don't have a turbo heat shield, Id prefer not to have one for easier access to it so instead have considered a blanket. Does anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks.

oblark
Sunday 12th October 2014, 08:05
In opinion the problem is not heat coming off the turbo but it due to the crap brakes.

Biff
Sunday 12th October 2014, 08:07
Ferrodo ds2500's.
I battered mine once bedded in & never had fade with 5.1 fluid.
I will be investing in some once the plod pads are past it.

M-R-P
Sunday 12th October 2014, 08:33
Dot 4?

I believe Volvo spec is dot 4.1 (although there's probably not much difference). If you're a bit heavy on the brakes, it'll be best to upgrade to dot 5.1 and braided hoses (about £50 from fleabay), at least the fluid will last longer.

The heat from the turbo is more likely to have an affect on the master cylinder than the brakes themselves I would think.

Ettienne
Sunday 12th October 2014, 08:41
Ferrodo ds2500's.
I battered mine once bedded in & never had fade with 5.1 fluid.
I will be investing in some once the plod pads are past it.

The 302, are just not good enough, I've tried every type of pad before on 302s always using braided lines and flushing brake fluid, before resulting into changing calipers and discs for larger.

Including grooved and drilled discs

In fact I was getting more braking from the rears on my t5r saloon, using cheapo pads, than 302s with new-ish calipers on Volvo pads.

This was going on information provided by the brake rollers at an mot station as my neighbour is an inspector and fellow t5 owner.

claymore
Sunday 12th October 2014, 09:14
The heat from my turbo would get hot enough to melt the plastic elbow into the brake servo, it never caused brake fade though, but if stuck in traffic it would boil the fluid and I'd end up with no clutch. so I would say your brake fade is due to the dot 4.1

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/2013-07-26162711.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/claymore2k/media/2013-07-26162711.jpg.html)

Kingsford G
Sunday 12th October 2014, 09:37
The heat also damages the vacuum etc hoses that run above the heat.I had to change a main vacuum pipe on an 850 as it got hard and started cracking.

polak t5r
Sunday 12th October 2014, 09:54
Claymore how did you sort it as I start to lose clutch pressure and get really bad break fade when been running a while sorry for jumping in

M-R-P
Sunday 12th October 2014, 09:59
Claymore how did you sort it as I start to lose clutch pressure and get really bad break fade when been running a while sorry for jumping in

I think he uses an anchor and a parachute these days :)

claymore
Sunday 12th October 2014, 10:03

My solution is a blanket as it happens ....lol

Sweep
Sunday 12th October 2014, 11:01
They seem like a bad idea to me, surely it'll cook the turbo?

polak t5r
Sunday 12th October 2014, 11:09
that's what I was just reading up on I'm not to sure at the moment so many conflicting views

M-R-P
Sunday 12th October 2014, 11:12
As long as the cold side isn't wrapped. You see plenty of tuned ricers with the manifold, turbo, downpipe etc wrapped these days.

Harvey
Sunday 12th October 2014, 11:30
If you have deep pockets...

http://www.zircotec.com/page/turbochargers/138

Kingsford G
Sunday 12th October 2014, 14:25
Just put the heat protection of some kind on the pipes above and replace them if they are not flexible,u will be just fine,no need for anything on the turbo.Or you can make up a quick removable heat shield.

LeeT5
Sunday 12th October 2014, 17:15
Why do you need constant access to the turbo? You problem would be solved easily by just refitting the heat shield. There not that difficult to get on and off, especially with new bolts.

Kingsford G
Sunday 12th October 2014, 17:25
Why do you need constant access to the turbo? You problem would be solved easily by just refitting the heat shield. There not that difficult to get on and off, especially with new bolts.

They r a lot more pain than P2 models to refit.P2 is actually a piece of cake