PDA

View Full Version : please can somebody help me!!!!

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 17th November 2005, 08:52
hello everyone,

i have posted a couple of threads on here before,but no replys,so i am still none the wiser

the problem is,my volvo t5 1994 estate doesn't want to start in the mornings,i takes forever if it finally does,but it never used to be like this,it used to start first time.
i took it down to the garage yesterday,and fitted brand new plugs,rotar arm, and dizzy cap,thinking this would cure it,
tried to start it this morning,still the same story!!!

but what really puzzles me,is i live on a slight hill,and i can push the car myself,and jump start it,and it;s not even going fast,it just seems to fire up straight away,

the temp guage said -1,which could equate to the problem,

people have said the leads,battery not enough power,i am confused,

i beg you all to try and help me out,and i am sure i can return the favour one day............

i am just getting freaked out now,and scared it will never be the same.......

henry

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 17th November 2005, 08:53
if you want to ring me my number is 01159 899580
ask for me.....

or i can ring you if you pm me your number......

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th November 2005, 09:05
I take it then it turns over but no spark/ it doesnt catch? I would replace the HT leads next.

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 17th November 2005, 09:09
your'e right,it doesn't catch....but it does try to start.....

Babybadger
Thursday 17th November 2005, 09:15
Is there a coil on these cars? Shows how confident I am in my answers!

Andrew
Thursday 17th November 2005, 09:21
Have you checked the ampage on the battery in the mornings ? Perhaps you have something knawing away at the power overnight.

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 17th November 2005, 09:28
if the battery was low,wouldn't it just not try to start at all???

i don't know enough about these......to comment...

what happens if your battery is low.......?

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Thursday 17th November 2005, 10:01
when you leave the light swich turned on for your headlights,and you turn the engine off,is that sucking power still,or not.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 17th November 2005, 10:17
I'd change the plugs, leads, rotar and dizzy and see if that helps the problem. If none of those work then you'll ned to look at more expensive items I'm afraid

x

lance
Thursday 17th November 2005, 11:14
Cam postition sensor , ht leads ?? A trip to DPA is needed I think

Straker
Thursday 17th November 2005, 11:47
Definately check the battery and how old is it? A new one can work wonders for you start-up performance as it did on mine. Also knackered battery's don't like the cold whihc is why it might be worse in the mornings.......

Good luck

MattB
Thursday 17th November 2005, 13:54
Definately check the battery and how old is it? A new one can work wonders for you start-up performance as it did on mine. Also knackered battery's don't like the cold whihc is why it might be worse in the mornings.......

Good luck

The winter killed off my battery last year.
I installed a heavy duty one and so far, both the recent low temps and a knackered alternator have failed to kill this one off. Once installed, the car started alot better! (Incidently, I have a spare brand new heavy duty battery lying around if you need one).

gazjacko
Thursday 17th November 2005, 19:39
Battery's got to be the first place to look, you should have a big fat 'meaty' spark if you remove a lead and earth it near (tiny gap) the block. (try a set of mole grips to position it while you turn the engine over).
Maybe next go for the 'coil-pack' ( there's a couple available on E-Bay at the moment).

TEAMWAYSIDE21
Friday 18th November 2005, 08:33
Hello,
I Will Have That Battery Off You! Private Message Sent!!!

The Most Stupid Thing I Have Done,is Spend £98.00 On Changing The Spark Plugs,dizzy Cap And Rotar Arm,thinking That Would Cure The Problem!!!!!

Never Mind,they Would Of Needed Doing Soon Anyway........

I Never Knew A Battery On New Ish Cars,meant So Much,like Controlling The Fuel Pump To Start The Car Etc.

I Have Had Old Cars For So Long,you Just Get Used To The Battery ,just Starting The Car..

MattB
Saturday 19th November 2005, 11:38
Hello,
I Will Have That Battery Off You! Private Message Sent!!!

Sorry Henry, I may have spoke too soon with regards a spare battery - went to start my car early yesterday morning - very reluctant to start!! Just had enough to get it going without a jump start - so was just able to get to work - phew!! Turned it over at lunchtime - still reluctant and indeed was the same when I came home late last night!!

So I shall have to install my spare battery after all - I'm very sorry. I'm not surprised tho - when the alternator broke last week, it was well and truly knackered and after fitting a new alternator for me - the garage were amazed that the battery still worked - albeit only for 6 or 7 days! I guess the sub zero temperatures have played their part in its demize!!

Had the alternator not ruined the battery - I reckon that the battery would have lasted for many years. I would strongly recommend purchasing a heavy duty battery - particularly if you have aircon etc. I found that a local battery centre was considerably cheaper than Halfrauds and Lucas etc. I paid £60 for a FIAMM 100FS battery - whereas the others were £75+ and £90+!! (My battery plus carriage would probably be around this figure - so pull out the Yellow Pages and have a look for a local battery centre and save yourself a few quid :) ) The FIAMM battery is slightly bigger than a standard battery, but fits nicely on the tray and is also black + looks good too. It made a huge difference to starting and indeed to overall driving (the previous battery before replacing last year was virtually dead as indeed this one appears to be - again due to a knackered alternator!).

Hope this helps Henry - apologies if I have stalled your repairs in any way...
:hidesbehi

(pm sent)

t5 stealth
Saturday 19th November 2005, 12:27
hi
it could be a suspect crank angle sensor or ignition pack weak when cold as i asume its starts fine once its started or it mite be ignition module,
unfortunatly it could be 1 of a hundred things stopping it from starting,
without proper test equiptment its hard to judge,
bring back the old points,,no electronic crap lol