PDA

View Full Version : clutch

dave_mito
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:16
whats a good upgraded clutch a 2.4t5?

its only a matter of time before it starts to slip, so want to change it before weather gets bad.

do the focus clutches fit?

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:25
The clutch on mine lasted 130+k miles mate. Even if it does start slipping, you should still get a fair few thousand miles out of it if you drive carefully. A full throttle 4th gear uphill session will make it slip if it's going to go.
The R clutch will fit but the only difference I could see between them is the springs were a different colour.

dave_mito
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:30
it slips if I pull hard in 3rd on the flat.

Its still got a slight boost leak aswell so once I fix that it will probably get worse

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:34
it slips if I pull hard in 3rd on the flat.

Its still got a slight boost leak aswell so once I fix that it will probably get worse

Time to change it then lol.

The standard LUK kit should be fine unless you're looking at big power?

dave_mito
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:45
not sure were to go next with it
so far ive got a remap from dream3r, vxr injectors, 3" de cat down pipe, 3" cat back.

Was thinking about maybe a front mount next year and maybe meth injection., but not sure.

Was hoping for around the 350bhp mark, so a would be worth doing a clutch to take that. Unless the standard items can take this

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:51
Hard to say.

Externalerror has most of those mods and wasn't far off 350bhp. Not sure what clutch he has in it tho.

It might be worth looking at uprated stuff for the sake of service life. Single mass flywheel will probably be a good idea too.

JamesT5
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:55
whats a good upgraded clutch a 2.4t5?

its only a matter of time before it starts to slip, so want to change it before weather gets bad.

do the focus clutches fit?

I've got a low mileage slave cylinder for sale if you need one. PM if you're interested.

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 13:55
My car is a similar spec to yours except I dont have a uprated downpipe but I do have meth injection, my head is also polished and ported and I have an s60R manifold.

I run an AP racing clutch and lightened Single Mass Flywheel and made 342.54 with this setup

I'd also recomend improving the handling before doing any more power mods as they will allow you to make more use of the increased power

dave_mito
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 14:07
My car is a similar spec to yours except I dont have a uprated downpipe but I do have meth injection, my head is also polished and ported and I have an s60R manifold.

I run an AP racing clutch and lightened Single Mass Flywheel and made 342.54 with this setup

I'd also recomend improving the handling before doing any more power mods as they will allow you to make more use of the increased power
thought the r manifolds were the same as the 2.4's?

handling is also on the list of things to do.

were did you get your clutch and flywheel from?

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 14:49
Kalmar union its sold as a set as they are paired together to get an almost OEM clutch feel

Not sure about the manifold difference the person before me put it on so I just quote as I'm not sure of the difference.

dave_mito
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 14:59
looks like the fords use the same setup.

That set up looks and sounds nice, the price isn't tho. But you do get what you pay for.

ExternalError
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 15:13
Yeah the price isnt great but when you think your changing the DMF to a SMF which means further clutch changes you wont need to replace the fly wheel and also the clutch is rated to take the power.

Dream3r
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 19:08
I was thinking about the helix smf setup for mine, it will fit as far as I've been told.

Harvey
Wednesday 8th October 2014, 19:47
Here's a bit of food for thought.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/clutches-and-flywheels-1/