PDA

View Full Version : How quick really

jim
Saturday 5th February 2005, 10:59
Does anyone know what the real top end is. My speedo is drunk after 145 ish, my sat nav gives aread out but at all other speeds this is 5-8mph slower than you are going.

Anyway set a new top speed the other day just interested as to what it could/should be and how to measure it.

cheerz

jim :dgrin:
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

lance
Saturday 5th February 2005, 13:50
Top speed has lots of different variables that can and will affect it when new a standard 850 T5 should do 149 mph an R 155mph in manual forms.

chriskay
Saturday 5th February 2005, 15:39
Going to Millbrook on Feb. 15, so hope to try mine. Compared with sat. nav. my speedo seems to read 4mph. high throughout the range ( up to 110 mph anyway). Will report results.

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 5th February 2005, 17:36
my speedo seems to read 4mph. high throughout the range ( up to 110 mph anyway). Will report results.
exactly the same as mine

hamish
Saturday 5th February 2005, 21:37
Mine reads about 10% fast compared with Road Angel, So at an indicated 150, in France last week it is doing approx 135 according to Road Angel. Remember: Sat Nav has to contend with the curve of the earth and is running approx 1 sec behind ! Who cares unless you've had the speed limiter removed (Rica does) the car will not top an indicated 155 !

Regards,
Hamish.

lance
Sunday 6th February 2005, 16:33
Mine appears to be doing 28mph at 30mph.
without rica would do 150 mph dead on and not the 152 bookspeed but that could be down to roof rails , fuel quality and general wear at 127K and manufactures lying.
Now with Rica and 139k and a worn turbo she is still pulling at 150! with a new turbo 160+ could be possible if I find a nice bit of private runway or autobahn long enough!

GuyD5
Sunday 6th February 2005, 22:12
As far as I am aware a speedo, under Construction & Use Regs, (unless calibrated ie for Old Bill) must read at least as fast or faster than you are actually going ... this ensures that with a maximum permitted (by law) 10% error you are still not exceeding the speed limit .... hence your indicated 33mph is in fact no more than 30mph ... in the very unlikely event that your uncalibrated speedo is reading accurately, you will not be prosecuted for exceeding the posted speed limit by a 10% margin.

In all honesty, speedo readings should *always* be taken with a pinch of salt .... and 10% deducted from whatever speed is recorded, thus the Road Angel readout, although a little delayed is far more accurate than the speedo :D

Bracer
Monday 7th February 2005, 09:02
Who's got the pic of that C70 with the GPS showing over 160 :eek:

mulletboy2
Monday 7th February 2005, 09:24
A couple of points... firstly, the 10% +2mph "law" is not a law so much as a guideline that is not enforceable. If you're busted for doing 75 in a 70, the argument of "I thought I was allowed to do 79" will not stand up, just as 34 in a 30 is not permitted. You can be given points and a fixed penalty for 31 in a 30 and 71 in a 70, it's just that a lot of police stations choose not to enforce it, as set by guidelines... I did dig out a link a while ago from a relevant body, but always forget to bookmark these things.

Secondly, in factory form, the car must read somewhere between the actual speed and 10% over what you're actually travelling. Some new cars are a lot closer to accurate than others. The car may infact indicate 32 when you're travelling 32 or 31, therefore you may get caught and fined.

You also have to add into the equation that people change the overall diameter of their tyres when they add aftermarket alloys, and tyre wear affects the rolling diameter too, which will account for a variation of speed from what was set at the factory.

Cheers

Mark

chriskay
Wednesday 16th February 2005, 11:34
At Millbrook yesterday, on the 2 mile oval, my co-driver reached 152 (satellite) & said he was not quite flat out. When I tried, I chickened out at 145 :hidesbehi . The really scary bit was when he showed me what it could do round the handling & hill circuits. Great day :)
Chris.

Bracer
Thursday 17th February 2005, 09:16
Dont you just LOVE Ovlov's :wink:

chriskay
Thursday 17th February 2005, 09:22
Sure, only problem at Millbrook was 14MPG & about 1000 miles off my tyres :eek:

Bracer
Thursday 17th February 2005, 09:23
My drive to work has the same affect :eek:

chriskay
Thursday 17th February 2005, 09:29
lol. Cheers, Bracer

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th February 2005, 11:05
Chris,

I have been giving this some thought. I would like to have a crack at this millbrook thing. Have you got details and is it worth doing?

I think I am an OK driver, though I can get distracted and a bit sketchy at times. Do you think you think I would benefit from this course?

chriskay
Thursday 17th February 2005, 11:16
Hi, Dave. I'm waiting for full details of what's on offer. A day at Millbrook is not a driving course, like I'm doing with the High Performance Club, just a day where you can explore the limits of your car in safety, with some advice & instruction from members of the H.P.C. Most of the time you would be alone, using the various circuits. When I get the info. I'll post it here.
Cheers, Chris.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 17th February 2005, 12:10
I too may be interested in this.............

x

Bracer
Thursday 17th February 2005, 12:30
Ooo Ooo

Rica Auto vs Rica Manwell

:hidesbehi

:wink:

lance
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 01:57
Sound like a good excuse for a meet and thrash , was reading about bruntingthorpe having a saab turbo day and hitting some mad speeds in the wet!
Why not do a T5 day!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:09
Amen to that brother (particularly as I have decided to bite the bullet and get my suspension done, finally!!)

siamblue
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:21
I'll be up for Millbrook or Bruntingthorpe,The latter will be better as they do 0-60 and 0-100 plus you can get a top speed run in too.

lance
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:23
Sounds like a good plan then!
Mrs Mopp ? Pedro ?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:29
Well as Bruntingthorpe is about 5 mins from my home I cant really say no!!! :wink:

x

lance
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:35
Well as Bruntingthorpe is about 5 mins from my home I cant really say no!!! :wink:

x :thewave:

Do you know how much it costs and could we get a group discount?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 10:37
No idea tbh - I will look into it tho. Dont be surprise tho if its nion 100 quid per car (I read it on another forum somewhere)

x

siamblue
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 11:13
No idea tbh - I will look into it tho. Dont be surprise tho if its nion 100 quid per car (I read it on another forum somewhere)

x

I heard that too Nat,Plus fuel and tyres,Probably be over £200 for the day :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 11:20
Which is far too expensive for me for a day out playing cars with you boys LOL!!!

x

Giles
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 13:52
my speedo has been calibrated by IRS Nottingham (sticker on the speedo) and I got 147mph before hitting a slight curve on the dual carriageway, but with knackered self-levellers, it was a bit hairy trying to go around the corner, so had to gradually slow and wouldn't try it again! :eek:

lance
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 16:26
Which is far too expensive for me for a day out playing cars with you boys LOL!!!

x
Me 2 , would it be worth seeing if we could get a bulk discount if say 10 or 15 of us go!

Going back to the orignal thread my v70 would nudge 150 unmodified and is still pulling at 150 now with rica 140k & 1 bar of boost. My old baby hit 147 standard but wouldnt be suprised if she went way off the clock now in a certain young ladies hands :wink:

siamblue
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 16:48
Mine has been off the clock at 160,But i don't usually get the chance to do any top end runs,Goes to 140 very quickly then tends to slow a bit upto top end.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 16:53
Going back to the orignal thread my v70 would nudge 150 unmodified and is still pulling at 150 now with rica 140k & 1 bar of boost. My old baby hit 147 standard but wouldnt be suprised if she went way off the clock now in a certain young ladies hands :wink:

:eek: A certain Young lady never breaks the speed limit :dgrin:

x

lance
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 17:56
In second gear I bet :wink:

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 19:08
I see we are all pretty close then I get up to 140 then it takes about 5 or 6 miles to build up to the magic 150 (152) mark....

This of course is along my private test track..

phil
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 20:43
Mines got a calibrated ex plod speedo and when compared to road angel it still reads fast
at indicated 31 road angel reads 30
62 road angel says 60 etc.

As its a rica'd car I guess the top speed may be governed by the rev limiter which I think is set to 6500rpm by rica, although when ever Ive hit this ive never had chance to look down and check, Im only thinking **** change gear!

At 6000 rpm in first I get 30mph on speedo so really 29mph
At 6000 rpm in second I get 60mph on speedo so really 58mph
At 6000 rpm in third I get 90mph (in theory) on speedo so really 87mph
At 6000 rpm in forth I get 120mph (in theory) on speedo so really 116mph
At 6000 rpm in fifth I get 150mph (in theory) on speedo so really 145mph

500/6000 X 145 = 12.08 mph so theoretical rev limited maximum would be 145 +12 i.e. 157mph although speedo would be showing off the scale at about 163mph.

But I guess Ill never now unless we organise a test track day!

V8guitar
Tuesday 8th March 2005, 22:18
Having been nicked in various cars in the past, the speedo's have generally been pretty close.

I think everyone agrees that any speedo will not be 100% and therefore any speed registered should considered a guide.

As said on previous threads, I have had 152 comfortably out of mine ( autobahn) and it got there pretty quick with no real let up in pulling. I reackon it would have gone on to at least 165 indicated, possibly more. Allowing for speedo inaccuracies, I think anything around 155 is realistic, possibly even conservative.

I'm up for a speed run 'cos I'm really curious in the reality and would pay a resonable amount to do it in saftey.....