PDA

View Full Version : New car advice

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 15:51
Hi all, I currently have a corsa vxr and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more economical in order to save for a house. I was initially looking at the d3 150bhp but have seen a d4 for the same price but was wondering wether there is much if any difference in the mpg as I would be looking for mpg more than anything else. Thanks for the help and hope to be a Volvo owner soon. Also if like to say that even though volvos are known for being an old mans car, I think the c30 is absolutely mint. Coming from a 25 year old car owner lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 15:57
"mint" lol, oh that word has some history around here :)

Welcome aboard. What you're looking at between the D3 and D4 is chalk and cheese.
The D3 is a ford/pug derived lump and although it's not bad, it's not without it's foibles.
The D4 however (depending on year of manufacture) is the old D5 lump. 5-pot, single turbo with 183bhp and a huge wobbling pile of torque for upsetting golf drivers. In a C30, you'll easily see 40+mpg average and a fair bit more on a run. If you fancy remapping it, it'll do more MPG and go like the clappers too. The D3 won't.
Also, the C30 shares a fair few parts with the Focus and later V70/S60 so tuning parts can be had for not a lot of money.

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 16:10
Thanks for the quick response, the d4 I'm looking at is on a 11 plate. But if I wasn't to get that car wether it be a d3 or a d4 I would be looking for at least an 11 plate maybe newer. I was almost certain upon the d3 until I saw this d4 and this is were my uncertainty has come from. I currently run around 31 mpg and so would like to be saving on fuel hence my jump to diesel. From what you said I take it the d3 and d4 are very similar on mpg? Also I would be open to remap if the mpg increase was significant enough ��

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 16:17
Thanks for the quick response, the d4 I'm looking at is on a 11 plate. But if I wasn't to get that car wether it be a d3 or a d4 I would be looking for at least an 11 plate maybe newer. I was almost certain upon the d3 until I saw this d4 and this is were my uncertainty has come from. I currently run around 31 mpg and so would like to be saving on fuel hence my jump to diesel. From what you said I take it the d3 and d4 are very similar on mpg? Also I would be open to remap if the mpg increase was significant enough ��

The D4 is a bigger, better engine but for pottering about, the D3 would just about be on top. The D4 will map better as it's an established (I won't use the term old) engine that's been developed for power, reliability and economy (considering it's size).
HLM, Kalmar union, Shark, BSR would be the people to see (among others) regarding mapping.

On a side note...

There's a guy around here with the Thorney Motorsport Corsa VXR-R. Goes like a mo-fo!

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 17:06
Hmmm so a bit to think of them, I don't think I'd be modifying to much. Remap and that would be about it. So would the d4 be better for me. I was just told that the 2.0 litre engines have a lot of problems "/ don't no how much truth is in that though. I really like the d4 that's for sale. And yeah the vxr r and standard vxr are nice cars. I love mine but it's not saving me any money on fuel. I'm outing in 50 quid a week roughly for a 24 mile commute per day. I get about 300 miles from a full tank (55 quid to fill)

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 17:12
Yeah, the 2.0 has issues but it can be hit and miss, some run just fine for the life of the car.

A remap is all you'll need tbh, it'll have something crazy like 550Nm of torque :)

I feel your pain, we were running the T5 as the school/work car and spending 70 quid a week in fuel. Have a little Japanese hack for that now and save the Volvo for fun and frolics :D

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 18:28
Yeah fuel is a nightmare. The only reason I'm changing to be honest as I love my vxr. But I need to be saving in fuel in order to save more money for my house fund. Had enough of living with parents haha. Just want my own place. so I thought a diesel with good mpg is what I need.

T5frankie
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 18:48
just get the d5 and be done with it

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 18:57
Something tells me that won't put me in a better financial position than I'm in now lol. I want to own a house not love my rents till I'm 30 lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:06
[QUOTE=Matt-nick;738319]Hmmm so a bit to think of them, I don't think I'd be modifying to much. Remap and that would be about it. So would the d4 be better for me. I was just told that the 2.0 litre engines have a lot of problems "/ don't no how much truth is in that though. I really like the d4 that's for sale. And yeah the vxr r and standard vxr are nice cars. I love mine but it's not saving me any money on fuel. I'm outing in 50 quid a week roughly for a 24 mile commute per day. I get about 300 miles from a full tank (55 quid to fill)[/QUOTE/]

No offence meant here, but if your only paying 50 quid a week in fuel and with your commute getting a derv is only gonna save you a tenner a week, 500 quid a year saving isnt gonna get you moved out of your folks home anytime soon

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:29
I suppose you got a point an no offence taken mate, I just thought that every little helps but I supose I'll be putting more money towards the car. However, I'd imagine a Volvo c30 would have less problems than a corsa vxr in the long run. I just think I'd be better off with it. Also halving my tax so that's an extra 100 quid. And then having a remap would make more difference than a tenner wouldn't it??

T5frankie
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:45
my v70 tdi does 41mpg around town and 57mpg on a 70mph run, and thats a 2.5

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:50
That's well good for a 2.5 does that mean I'd see a better difference with the d4?? Also, I've had a good opinion from M-R-P, what do you think I'd better off with out of the d3 and d4?? Cheers mate

Ettienne
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:51
There's 2 d4 engines, the later 4 cylinder 2.0 or the earlier sleeved down d5 5 cylinder 2.0.

Both are good, in fact the new 2.0 is meant yo be one of the best you can get.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:54
I suppose you got a point an no offence taken mate, I just thought that every little helps but I supose I'll be putting more money towards the car. However, I'd imagine a Volvo c30 would have less problems than a corsa vxr in the long run. I just think I'd be better off with it. Also halving my tax so that's an extra 100 quid. And then having a remap would make more difference than a tenner wouldn't it??

REmap is only going to get you an extra 3-6 mpg but with the fun factor you'll lose that playing anyway lol, plus i reckon your safer running a petrol vxr than a derv less to feck up i reckon :), also none of my business but isnt buying yourself a more expensive car costing more than keeping what you have?, if you really want to save money go for the radical approach to car ownership, ie i just bought a v70 t5 for 900 quid ill never lose money on it, it's on classic car insurance so very cheap, does 30mpg on a 25 mile daily commute, can fix it dirt cheap etc etc :)

T5frankie
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 19:56
REmap is only going to get you an extra 3-6 mpg but with the fun factor you'll lose that playing anyway lol, plus i reckon your safer running a petrol vxr than a derv less to feck up i reckon :), also none of my business but isnt buying yourself a more expensive car costing more than keeping what you have?, if you really want to save money go for the radical approach to car ownership, ie i just bought a v70 t5 for 900 quid ill never lose money on it, it's on classic car insurance so very cheap, does 30mpg on a 25 mile daily commute, can fix it dirt cheap etc etc :)

not as radical as my 260 quid tdi lol,

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 20:10
Yeah buying a more expensive car will cost more than I save, but I supose one day I'd need a more practical car than what I have now (when kids come along etc) and it would be nicer to get one now and keep for a long time rather than get one in a year or two and get a high mileage one. And it would also be nice to get the fuel bill down, but from what I'm reading, it ain't guna go down much "/

Jamest5r
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 20:50
Yeah buying a more expensive car will cost more than I save, but I supose one day I'd need a more practical car than what I have now (when kids come along etc) and it would be nicer to get one now and keep for a long time rather than get one in a year or two and get a high mileage one. And it would also be nice to get the fuel bill down, but from what I'm reading, it ain't guna go down much "/

Mate your 25 FFS, chill out and enjoy your life, if you don't you'll regret it, life is for living and having fun :)

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 21:30
Very good point mate. I think too far ahead. Still liking the d3/4 though. And I'd love to see the look on faces when a Volvo is pulling away from them whilst getting good mpg.

Biff
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 22:27
Sell the corsa before it burns out number 3 piston, cash for your deposit & buy an old t5. :)
That's my advice to you. :)

Matt-nick
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 22:34
Yeah I think it is time to sell before I start having problems. Definitely liking the Volvo. Also I'd like to say how helpful people are on this site. I was a never of vxr owners and they never responded to anything as well as you guys have ��

jamesy12345
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 22:45
I'd love a C30 but too expensive for me, rather have my 480 back

M-R-P
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 22:55
Some good points raised here.
An older volvo, say an 850 or P1 70 series can be ensured on classic, ok the tax may be a bit steep but they're reliable, fast and have a classic sleeper thing about them. They're relatively cheap and easy to fix when there's a forum to guide you too.

There's nothing like the look on a golf Gti owners face when you've blown them into the weeds with a grandads car ;)

Blackdog
Wednesday 1st October 2014, 17:04
Just for clarity I think you will find the D3 should be a 5 pot 2.0. The D4 should also be a 5 pot 2.0 but with a map. The 2.0D was the ford/pug engine.

I had a C30 D3 as a loaner and it was great to drive.

Biff
Wednesday 1st October 2014, 18:42
Yeah I think it is time to sell before I start having problems. Definitely liking the Volvo. Also I'd like to say how helpful people are on this site. I was a never of vxr owners and they never responded to anything as well as you guys have ��
It's a friendly site to be honest that doesn't suffer idiots very well. Lol
I do low miles myself & for the cost of my tax & insurance I'm happy to put a few quid extra in the tank. I remember when I wanted a property back in 2003. I sold my 52 plate 12 month old Toyota corrolla tsport & went back to a vauxhall nova. Lol I now own 2 properties & I'm still with oldschool motoring due to the cost.
I'm whooping vxr Astra's, type R's etc for fun & my car owes me peanuts in comparison to my mates insignias & 330d's etc.
bargains are to be had if you want to save dosh.