PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key won't turn

Pliskin
Monday 29th September 2014, 15:36
Hi all,
I have got a Sept 99 V70 2.4 petrol the ignition of which has decided not to work. The key will go into the barrel but won't turn at all. It has in the past sometimes refused to let the key come out of the barrel and the action has felt a bit notchy.

A recovery agent has just had a look at it and expressed the opinion that the barrel pins have collapsed.

Has anyone got any ideas about what it might be and what parts I will need and whether or not it will need a transponder.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

M-R-P
Monday 29th September 2014, 16:20
easiest/cheapest way round it would be to get a 2nd hand key and barrel off ebay or the like and fit that.
To get around the immobiliser, just tape the old key to the inside of the steering cowl.

Pliskin
Monday 29th September 2014, 18:38
Cheers MRP

T5frankie
Monday 29th September 2014, 18:43
you need to whack it into park, its because its not fully in p position, they all get like this, does it have the little button to release the gearstick?

jamesy12345
Monday 29th September 2014, 19:44
You can take your key into Timpsons (other locksmiths are available) and they will tell you if the key has a chip or not....my 2001 T4 does

Pliskin
Monday 29th September 2014, 21:35
you need to whack it into park, its because its not fully in p position, they all get like this, does it have the little button to release the gearstick?

I tried that in the past when it was refusing to give up the key and it worked but didn't know it worked the other way around. Not sure what you mean about the little button. There is one just in front of the base of the gearstick if that what you mean.

I will go and give it a go.

Pliskin
Monday 29th September 2014, 21:45
Frankie, you are a star, it worked a treat, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this place.