PDA

View Full Version : Head bolts

Tomcat
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:45
I'm just getting together all the bits and pieces I need to complete this head swap, can someone tell me what sort of money I should be paying for a set of head bolts please?.. And should I go OE or aftermarket?..

If I swap the cams and buckets out of my head into the recond head is that going to run ok?.. Had a debate with the guy at the engine reconditioners about valve clearances etc...

T5frankie
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:47
victor reintz for about 50-60 quid iirc

Tomcat
Saturday 27th September 2014, 18:00
Yeah I've seen those advertised on Ebay, are they any good?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th September 2014, 19:58
I bought a set from GSF for £30

Tomcat
Saturday 27th September 2014, 19:59
I bought a set from GSF for £30

Really?...Cheers Dave.

Am I going to be alright running my cams and my lifters in this new head?.

nottsgreent5
Saturday 27th September 2014, 21:28
Really?...Cheers Dave.

Am I going to be alright running my cams and my lifters in this new head?.
I used all the cams and lifters out the old head and put them into the new refubed head and have had no issues since

Tomcat
Saturday 27th September 2014, 23:43
Thanks, I was fairly confident it would work until the idiot at the rebuilders put that bit of doubt in my mind.

T5frankie
Sunday 28th September 2014, 10:00
You may find it's noisy using lifters from another head as they won't be worn the same

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 28th September 2014, 14:47
Sorry it was from Eurocarparts. Just looked and the head bolts are £3.36 each so £40 for the set.

Have bought and used 2 sets of them now.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th September 2014, 17:09
You may find it's noisy using lifters from another head as they won't be worn the same

I couldn't use the ones that came with the head as it was sent without cams, as such the buckets had just come out and rolled around inside the head, now dont know which is which. I would have thought that if I'm using the buckets and cams out of the same head then they're a matched set and as such shouldnt be noisey?.

Doingitsideways
Sunday 28th September 2014, 17:38
I couldn't use the ones that came with the head as it was sent without cams, as such the buckets had just come out and rolled around inside the head, now dont know which is which. I would have thought that if I'm using the buckets and cams out of the same head then they're a matched set and as such shouldnt be noisey?.

Your Man-logic sounds about right to me Craig ;)

claymore
Sunday 28th September 2014, 18:10
I think swapping followers from one head to another is going to be very very pot luck.

Tomcat
Sunday 28th September 2014, 22:18
I think swapping followers from one head to another is going to be very very pot luck.

Why?.. It's either that or buy new ones as the old ones are all mixed up so they'd probably be worse than the new ones.

claymore
Monday 29th September 2014, 07:20
All moving parts wear in a different way, but at least if you use new followers you only have the wear on the head to deal with and a gentle run in period should sort it, but with used ones as i said you might be ok but you might not, it would depend a lot on the mileage of the two engines as well imo. personally I have always been told not to mix and mach head components and never have.

Tomcat
Monday 29th September 2014, 08:04
Sadly I dont think I have much option, the cost of this head swap is getting ridiculous. I'll have to try it and see, at the worst I'll have to install some new buckets at a later date if they end up being noisey.