PDA

View Full Version : Flappy paddle upgrade p2 auto

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 15:44
I know from experience it's very easy to fit p2 wheels on 850 / p1 cars.

I'm wonder if it's possible to fit a flappy paddle wheel to my p2r.

Does anybody know how the gearshift works? Is it just micro switches I can run parallel to the shift controls on a p3 wheel?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

claymore
Saturday 27th September 2014, 16:07
Fitting any wheel to any car is possible, but I don't know where the signal for the gear change is.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 16:27
I wondered if it was just a micro switch on the gear stick, I know the cables are in use to select drive reverse etc.

Just when driving and using geartronic it would surprise me if it was just a switch.

Has anybody taken a gear change apart?

M-R-P
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:00
I would think it's microswitch controlled. Just a case of splicing the right wires.

stribo
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:14
Don't get MRP to do it though, his wiring is shoddy at best. ;)

oblark
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:17
Don't get MRP to do it though, his wiring is shoddy at best. ;)

Get little mrp to do it he`ll make a better job of it :)

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:22
That's it you pair, constructive posts as usual lol.

I'll start looking for a steering wheel or preferably add on paddles so I don't have to mess with the wring on a new wheel

S70T5Chris
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:36
I remember reading about a company that retro fitted flappy paddles to the STR Jag.

I imagine with enough money and knowledge it's do-able.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:43
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C2-2003-2009-PADDLE-UNIT-INDICATOR-STALKS-COMMS-FLAPPY-PADDLE-GEARS-/171166330079?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27da4eecdf

This is cheap and would provide a start, I have a spare p2 wheel, although it's dark wood and very lovely so I'd be very careful with it.

I'll look the jag up, but it's such a pita changing on the shift lever if in a hurry.

Dream3r
Saturday 27th September 2014, 17:59
I'm sure there was an old thread on Swedespeed, custom job and not much info iirc.

Should be a case of studying the wiring diagrams + the TCM then inventing something :)

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 18:36
I'll have a look on google see what pops up

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 18:52
Found the thread

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?122968-Lucky-if-you-owned-a-04-R-GT...&p=1307169&viewfull=1

Exerts

Already done, at least for cars that have the geartronic setup.
For the guy I did it for we simply added switches with paddles to the steering column and ran the wiring in parallel to the GT 'slap shifter'.

Easy.

And more interesting but above my head:

1. Install a voltage bleed off trimmer pot on the trans line pressure sensor so I could up the line pressure on demand and quicken/firm the shifts.

2. Relocate or refab the GT tip tronic to paddle shifters behind the steering wheel
(more for cool but I like them here better than on the normal GSM)

3. Sniff the network for LOD value from the ECU with an XXAT CAN convertor and then extract and reinsert a new LOD value to the TCU so you could manipulate the shifting pattern based on preset strategies.

Some of these are easier than others so up to you to choose.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 19:10
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?134679-My-new-B-Line-MotorSports-MOD!

It's actually worth looking at the thread as car is very nice