PDA

View Full Version : S70 Boot Struts (possibly 850 As Well)

t5owner
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 13:29
Ok then having now replaced mine as one had failed i`ve done a write up on how to do the job and listed the tools and parts required

TOOLS:

1 Medium sized flat blade screwdriver
1 small sized flat blade screwdriver (Needs to be hardened steel not a cheapo thin one)
1 T40 Torx Bit
1 10mm standard socket and wrench
2 pairs of mole grips (adjustable wrenches)
1 3 ft long prop (wood or use a spirit level like i did if you have a space saver spare wheel you might need a longer prop)
1 Plastic container (To store the clips and bolts in)
1 brazier (optional)

And the most important item 1 Paynes Book Of Lies

PARTS:

2 New boot struts Spoiler or non-spoiler versions are available so get the correct ones (PFS or Nordic same price) as new they are fully extended and you cannot physically move the chrome rod into the chamber if the rod moves freely then the strut is a duffer (another new strut please)

Right onto the job itself (best done on a cold day)

1) Take the paynes book of lies and refer to the chapter for boot strut removal and then laugh uncontrollably for about 5 minutes

2) Rip out the pages and put them on the brazier and then set fire to them and the whole book for that matter cos its a load of b******s (this will keep you warm)

UNLOCK THE CAR AND OPEN THE REAR DOORS (IT HELPS BELIEVE ME)

Pics if some of the stages are attached

1) From inside the rear passenger compartment fold down both parts of the rear seats to expose the boot lining trim behind

2) Open the boot and use the prop (if your struts have failed completly) between the boot floor and between the lock on the boot lid and remove the 5 retaining clips by prising them out from around the edge of the boot lining carpet

3) Temporarily remove the prop and carefully remove the carpet whilst holding the boot lid so it doesn`t drop on you then replace the prop as before this time it should rest on the spare tyre

4) Prise out the retaining clip thats holding the black plastic cover down just to the rear of the folded down seats and remove it

5) Now with your medium sized flat blade screwdriver locate and remove the 4 twist out trim clips 1 either side of the boot area at the top near the light cluster access and i either side of the pillars that you exposed when folding down the rear seats (Twist to vertical slot position to remove)

6) Take the 10 mm socket and remove the 2 black plastic nuts 1 either side on this same pillar (you shouldn`t need the wrench as they are not that tight)

7) Now using the T40 Torx bit and a suitable driver wrench remove the 2 torx bolts with washers from the same pillars they may need some persuassion as they have locking compound on

7A) Check you haven`t missed any trim clips before moving on

8) Now you can pull the carpets side trims away from the pillars and back into the boot area you may need to bend them slighty at the top near the struts to get them out of the way (you could remove the trim completely if you want but it involves removal of a lot of other trim aswell)

9) You should now have clear views of both struts and be able to see where they go (bit of crawling to peer into the rear pillars)

10) Right now working from the outside of the boot locate the ball joint on 1 of the struts you will see a metal retaining clip on the outside with a slight resess in the plastic ball area take the small flat blade screwdriver and insert it into this resess and prise the clip upwards just enough so you can push the top of the strut off the ball on the boot lid arm and the repeat for the strut

11) Now back into the rear or the car and working from within the boot area take hold of one of the struts and gently lever it downwards againts the bottom of the hole that it goes into and the clip that holds the other end of the strut in place should pop off the pin within the hole (peer in if your not sure and you should see what i mean) DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE and repeat for the other strut

12) Now you should have 2 struts removed at one end is the ball joint at the other a small black plastic hook shaped clip using the 2 pairs of mole grips one clamped to the strut rod and one to the clip unscrew the clips from the rods and set aside (you might need them later as i did)

13) Now get your 2 new struts and working from within the car place the hooked shape clip onto the retaining pin in the pillar and gently snap them into position (or as in my case snap the new hooks while attempting this)

13A) So you broke the hook shaped clips !!! ok so take your new struts and follow step 12 to remove them and then take the 2 original volvo hook clips you saved and force screw these onto the new struts (it will take a bit of fiddling as the threads are different but they will eventually go on) Don`t forget to line them up so that the hooks face down when you put the ball joint back onto its ball ****Check them now****

13B) Ok so now redo step 13 with your now repaired struts

14) Now working from outside the boot line up the ball joint of the strut with the ball on the boot lid arm insert the small flat blade screwdriver into the resess in the plastic and prise up the metal clip (not to far) push the ball joint onto the ball and remove the screwdriver from the clip and it should click into place (you may have to lift the boot lid a little to get it on) and then repeat for the other strut

15) Refit the side pillar trims and refit the clips then the small plastic nuts and the torx bolts with washers as per removal twist the clips to horizontal to lock in place

16) Now check the operation of the new struts by removing the prop and fully closing the boot then open fully and then pull it down slowly to about half open and leave it there if it stays put then you can jump for joy as you`ve done it if not then first did you buy the correct struts ? Has one of the strut rod hook clips come off its pin ? Are the new struts faulty they come fully extended as new and take some effort to move the rod into the pressure chamber if the chrome rod is free moving then its a duffer (Oooops another new strut please)

17) Back into the rear of the car replace the black plastic cover and secure with 1 clip and then back out and replace the boot lining carpet and secure with the clips you removed earlier fold the rear seats back up and hey presto jobs a good un

18) Fully close the boot and remove all tools and tidy up and put out the fire in the brazier if it`s still burning and then go and have a nice cuppa

I thankyou

Cheers

stuart