PDA

View Full Version : drilled air box

polak t5r
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 12:04
Hi all while cars in the gararge having ball joint done i thought id look at what mods i can do i've got panel filter and blanking plate so my question is when drilling the air box do we drill top half or bottom half and what size holes and how meny would you guys suggest cheers Ben.

T5frankie
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 12:34
Why?

RollingThunder
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 12:38
I think its to allow greater airflow into the airbox. But... it'll be hot air from the engine compartment which is bad, and I think I read somewhere that the std airbox can handle sufficient air for around 300bhp anyway?

Nealevo
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 12:51
Its an old NA trick, common in the VW scene, i dont think it has much effect with a turbo car, NA cars produce a bit more noise, the power difference is 0, the standard volvo airbox is a very good design if a little restrictive box/turbo pipe.
Either get a panel filter or buy a quality induction kit.

polak t5r
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:23
cheers guys ive got a panel filter in was trying to get more noise that was all

p fandango
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:28
I remember many a people not wanting heat soak from an induction kit so drilled there air box instead lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:35
All it'll do is make more noise.

The standard setup with paper filter is supposed to be good for up to 400bhp so I've been told.

I have no airbox, nor standard inlet piping.

It makes loads of fun noises :D

I'm not a chav, honest ;)

No, really.

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:36
Oh yeah, drill the bottom half, below the filter - if you drill the top, it'll be the same as not having a filter at all :slap:

Nealevo
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:44
Oh yeah, drill the bottom half, below the filter - if you drill the top, it'll be the same as not having a filter at all :slap:

That sound like something someone else would do ;-)

polak t5r
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 13:47
awesome cheers

960kg
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 16:31
Couldn`t resist this one.......

The V70 just sold to Jamest5r has the airbox i drilled with about 190 x 10mm holes.

Me doing my apprenticeship on N/A motors learnt me this trick ........but being on a turbo , as a turbo just pushes in what it can grab then if what air it pushes in is more easily available (via extra holes) then the result will be not so obstructive.....!!!!!!

It may or may not give extra horsepower just as a panel filter will not but it will make the engine pick up faster especially when further up in the revs...

It does not drag warm air into the air box as it sits directly over the gearbox from which cooler air is tumbled over from under the front of the car.....the cold inlet from the modified snow air scoop is still used in it`s original place.

The main reason that it feels better is because if you look at the pics. the air comes into the air box 3/4`s of the way along it and the air filter sits on the top so before holes the actual air filter only 3/4`s of it is used but on the drilled air box you can see holes to the left of the air feed where the filter sits on so therfore the air box is now delivering 100% of air and not 75%....

How do i know it works?...... because i had two airboxes before i decided to experiment and so i kept the drilled one and the original went in the bin!

Yes, on the early phase 1 V70 without the cabin filter under the scuttle as mine was the noise of the turbo on WOT is like an aero engine, absolutely marvellous, mind you it was an 18T as well. If you want more noise you just put the heater on the front vents and it sounds even better as the airflow comes straight in bypassing the heater matrix.

Biff
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 17:36
Drill it mate, even if it's only for the noise. ;)

Sweep
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 18:25
Everyone knows that more noise = more power!

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 19:27
Everyone knows that more noise = more power!

:lol:

Harvey
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 19:37
Couldn`t resist this one.......

The V70 just sold to Jamest5r has the airbox i drilled with about 190 x 10mm holes.

Me doing my apprenticeship on N/A motors learnt me this trick ........but being on a turbo , as a turbo just pushes in what it can grab then if what air it pushes in is more easily available (via extra holes) then the result will be not so obstructive.....!!!!!!

It may or may not give extra horsepower just as a panel filter will not but it will make the engine pick up faster especially when further up in the revs...

It does not drag warm air into the air box as it sits directly over the gearbox from which cooler air is tumbled over from under the front of the car.....the cold inlet from the modified snow air scoop is still used in it`s original place.

The main reason that it feels better is because if you look at the pics. the air comes into the air box 3/4`s of the way along it and the air filter sits on the top so before holes the actual air filter only 3/4`s of it is used but on the drilled air box you can see holes to the left of the air feed where the filter sits on so therfore the air box is now delivering 100% of air and not 75%....

How do i know it works?...... because i had two airboxes before i decided to experiment and so i kept the drilled one and the original went in the bin!

Yes, on the early phase 1 V70 without the cabin filter under the scuttle as mine was the noise of the turbo on WOT is like an aero engine, absolutely marvellous, mind you it was an 18T as well. If you want more noise you just put the heater on the front vents and it sounds even better as the airflow comes straight in bypassing the heater matrix.

Good to hear it does do some thing,But for me just a little OCD couldn't you have drilled holes in line and 4 per square, ok I know you can't see them when fitted but....:worried:

JamesT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 20:53
Forget drilling holes, just fit an induction kit.......like this....... :D :B_thumb:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/Inductionkitfitted_zps3cf81a9c.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/Inductionkitfitted_zps3cf81a9c.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/PipeinstallPCVheater_zps984da133.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/PipeinstallPCVheater_zps984da133.jpg.html)

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/Inductionpipes_zps295106f5.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/Inductionpipes_zps295106f5.jpg.html)

jamesy12345
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 21:02
lol first job for Jim, replace the airbox