PDA

View Full Version : C70 T5 ressurection thread

sumdarkplace
Sunday 14th September 2014, 23:07
As it seems to be a handy way of recording progress I'm starting a project thread for our C70 T5.

The car is a manual with 111k on the clock, and was purchased new by my partner's father. It's been in the family ever since, but was left standing for a long time, and abused. When I got started with it a few weeks ago it was in a sorry state. First thing I had to do was clean it out. Then fit a new rear pad fitting kit as the moron at the local garage seemed to think it unnecessary, and that the horrendous rattling from the back end was fine! Also replaced the ARB drop links, regreased the steering stops and checked it over on a ramp. It's remarkably clean underneath, with far less wear than I was expecting!

Next was a heater matrix change, and a full shampoo of the carpets to try and get the smell out! The matrix had been leaking for a very long time, and in that time someone had put a different coolant in, leading to sludge forming. No wonder it was running hot! Also replaced the expansion tank and power steering reservoir as both had swollen and ruptured.

Then came a full stage 0. All filters, oil, full coolant system flush and changed over to OAT, new plugs, fixed every boost leak (and there were quite a few!), brake fluid changed to dot 5.1.

Here it is, more pics will follow...

I'm really unhappy with the brakes. I cannot get a decent pedal. It has good disks and pads all round, new fluid, and has been bled properly. The brakes are much better than when I got the car, but still not good enough. One spirited drive across the moors for 8 miles and they were fading away horrendously. It has the 302mm setup. I had a probe around the brake system, and found this:

Now, this does not look right to me! I popped the MC away from the servo, but there doesn't seem to be any fluid leaking past the rear seals. Is this just heat from the turbo stripping the paint away?

Either way, I'm going to strip the MC from my breaker and rebuild it. see if that helps!

Any comments or advice gratefully received, I'm a bit of a Volvo newbie!

stribo
Monday 15th September 2014, 06:36
As it seems to be a handy way of recording progress I'm starting a project thread for our C70 T5.

The car is a manual with 111k on the clock, and was purchased new by my partner's father. It's been in the family ever since, but was left standing for a long time, and abused. When I got started with it a few weeks ago it was in a sorry state. First thing I had to do was clean it out. Then fit a new rear pad fitting kit as the moron at the local garage seemed to think it unnecessary, and that the horrendous rattling from the back end was fine! Also replaced the ARB drop links, regreased the steering stops and checked it over on a ramp. It's remarkably clean underneath, with far less wear than I was expecting!

Next was a heater matrix change, and a full shampoo of the carpets to try and get the smell out! The matrix had been leaking for a very long time, and in that time someone had put a different coolant in, leading to sludge forming. No wonder it was running hot! Also replaced the expansion tank and power steering reservoir as both had swollen and ruptured.

Then came a full stage 0. All filters, oil, full coolant system flush and changed over to OAT, new plugs, fixed every boost leak (and there were quite a few!), brake fluid changed to dot 5.1.

Here it is, more pics will follow...

I'm really unhappy with the brakes. I cannot get a decent pedal. It has good disks and pads all round, new fluid, and has been bled properly. The brakes are much better than when I got the car, but still not good enough. One spirited drive across the moors for 8 miles and they were fading away horrendously. It has the 302mm setup. I had a probe around the brake system, and found this:

Now, this does not look right to me! I popped the MC away from the servo, but there doesn't seem to be any fluid leaking past the rear seals. Is this just heat from the turbo stripping the paint away?

Either way, I'm going to strip the MC from my breaker and rebuild it. see if that helps!

Any comments or advice gratefully received, I'm a bit of a Volvo newbie!

Regarding the servo, they all seem to look like that to some extent, it maybe where people fill the reservoir, and spill brake fluid.

cookiec70
Monday 15th September 2014, 07:39
Regarding the servo, they all seem to look like that to some extent, it maybe where people fill the reservoir, and spill brake fluid.

Ill second that, mine looks exactly the same so I took my cylinder off to see if the seal had leaked into the servo, but nope dry as a bone!

Biff
Monday 15th September 2014, 07:51
It is, I accidentally did it on my old v70r when bleeding with an easibleed.
Any idea what pads are on it?
Both my cars have had standard oe discs & ferrodo pads & they work brilliantly even with the extra weight of the estate.

MIKESC70T5
Monday 15th September 2014, 08:12
Fitted the Porsche setup on my old C70, made a big difference lol

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/MIKEST5R/SDC11242.jpg

sumdarkplace
Thursday 21st January 2016, 15:04
Sad to say, this car has now left my possession :(
The girlfriend who gave it to me is now my wife, and was struggling seeing her dead dad's car on the drive, so we rehomed it to a family friend.

Biff
Thursday 21st January 2016, 17:00
Sad to say, this car has now left my possession :(
The girlfriend who gave it to me is now my wife, and was struggling seeing her dead dad's car on the drive, so we rehomed it to a family friend.

May aswel buy another then. :)