PDA

View Full Version : manual swap, whos done one? few questions

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:14
hey well as some might know i have just got myself an 855 R auto, and if im honest i really don't like auto boxes. There's nout wrong with the box in fact it mint, i just dont like it in this car.

anyways im going to do a manual swap, now i get the gist with the mecanical side of it. Get everything from the donner car and swap it over. Its the electrical side i dont get. ive read about jumping a plug to make the ecu think that its in neutral all the time so it can start and a few other things.

would it not be easyer to get the wiring loom and a manual ecu and do it properly or is that just making a big job bigger for no real gain.

also does anyone have a parts list so i can make sure i get everything? i dont want to get half way through and find im missing something.

oh and if anyone has a conversion going for sale let me know :) it doesnt have to be a m59 box as i gessing they have all been ragged to death lol.

any other hint or advice would be much aprichated

thanks in advance

Jamest5r
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:18
Can't do the link as on my phone but search dooby on Voc he did a step by step guide really useful, personally I'd go with swoping the loom it splits under the ecu box and just lay it back out simples :),

Jamest5r
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:19
Oh and I have a thread on here under project manual when I did mine but far far less informative

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:26
cheers pal, ive already had a good read of that one on voc :) ill have a look for yours now.

so you recon my idea of a proper manual loom and ecu is a better way of doing it as far as reliabialty goes?

so would the loom just go from the bottom of the ecu box in to the engine bay? i wouldnt have to start messing around with wiring going to the inside?

cheers

Jamest5r
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:33
The loom splits in half just click the other in, and you don't need an ecu your auto one will still work

merc85
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:41
Nealevo had his done too ;)

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:53
ahhhh brill i just need to source some bits :) ive been quoted £350 for all the bits apart from the loom.

cheers merc, this r is the same as you had apart from its a jap spec. i need to get it cleaned up to your standard now :)

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:53
just had a read of your thread james, that was good going! its given me a few ideas
cheers

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 20:55
ahhhh brill i just need to source some bits :) ive been quoted £350 for all the bits apart from the loom.

cheers merc, this r is the same as you had apart from its a jap spec. i need to get it cleaned up to your standard now :)

Hang on, Jap spec, this isn't the Grey one is it, if it is, has it got a mapped ecu?

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:24
it certainly is mate ya just got it off immi.
i wouldn't say the ecu is mapped though it only goes half way in to the white. it doesnt pull like my t5 did with a the rica in.

why what you thinking???

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:29
it certainly is mate ya just got it off immi.
i wouldn't say the ecu is mapped though it only goes half way in to the white. it doesnt pull like my t5 did with a the rica in.

why what you thinking???

I haven't been paid for the ecu.

MoleT-5R
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:34

Ouch !!!! :yikes::yikes:

stephenevans99
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:44

That's Gary for you....was quite annoyed at losing an alloy wheel to him too

stephenevans99
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:46
Didn't come with extra Tethys did it?

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:50
That's Gary for you....was quite annoyed at losing an alloy wheel to him too
Yep he had one off me as well.

stephenevans99
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:52
I was there at the meet when you handed them over.....yours had a decent tyre on it too lol :(

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 21:56
am i missing something here?????

stephenevans99
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:01

Gary King(Wales) owned the car before Immi - he obtained a few spare alloys and an ECU which was yet to be paid for. Gary gave up on the car and sold it to Immi who then sold it on to yourself.....I think lol

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:02
Lol, only that the car seems to be put together with free or unpaid for parts.....lol (not of Immi I should add)

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:07
ahhhh right i see ummmm i feel kinda bad, which wheels where they? the multi spokes or volans?

and as for the ecu im not sure like i said above im 100% the ecu isnt mapped. as you know i had a rica 304 in my t5.

stephenevans99
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:14
ahhhh right i see ummmm i feel kinda bad, which wheels where they? the multi spokes or volans?

and as for the ecu im not sure like i said above im 100% the ecu isnt mapped. as you know i had a rica 304 in my t5.

No need to feel bad mate....nothing to do with you or Immi. Just happy that the car has gone to someone who'll bring it back to it's former glory - I'm certain if Gary had kept it would've been scrapped by now.

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:17
have you tried winding the actuator in a couple of turns, if the car doesn't hit boost cut, then it's mapped, apparently you do have my ecu.

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:27
i havnt no, ill give it a go though.

what do you want to do about the ecu?????

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:29
i havnt no, ill give it a go though.

what do you want to do about the ecu?????

I've just had a chat with Tony, it's all sorted ;)

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:35
are you sure? ok then cheers

claymore
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:39
are you sure? ok then cheers
We just need to get you're boost up now.

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:49
slightly confused now?????? i thought we were sending you this ecu back?????

no1tosh
Friday 12th September 2014, 22:56
just spoke to immi i know the score now lol sorry about all this pal.

so aparantly your going to send me some settings for this ecu?

claymore
Saturday 13th September 2014, 08:29
just spoke to immi i know the score now lol sorry about all this pal.

so aparantly your going to send me some settings for this ecu?

No settings needed mate, just turn the wastegate actuator a couple of turns and see what it does, if the boost goes to the end of the white without hitting boost cut, then all it good, if it does hit boost cut, then it's a standard ecu and I'll be having a chat with the person I had it off, (although I'd be very, very surprised if it isn't mapped as it came with all the paperwork) It's a 280 ecu which means you can run the car on standard unleaded.

no1tosh
Saturday 13th September 2014, 13:40
ahhh brilliant mate, is if its a 280 im gessing its a rica?

ill get the lock nut soaking over night and have a play tommoz. :)

thanks again

no1tosh
Saturday 13th September 2014, 13:41
ohh sorry whats the diffrences between the 280 and the 304 apart from the fuel thing?

cheers

claymore
Saturday 13th September 2014, 13:52
It wasn't a Rica ecu, I can't actually remember what the make was, the 280/304 is supposed to denote the maximum power with all the correct mods.

Nealevo
Saturday 13th September 2014, 13:55
Going back to original question, The manual swap is pretty straight forward, I had it easy as I had the use of a ramp and air tools...... O yeah and some suffering VPC members to boss around :)

I brought a manual T5 car as donor,(£300) because if you buy all the bits separate you will always be missing some vital clip or bolt, it makes it much easier. As jim says above, get the front engine wiring loom, simple fit and no need for cutting, It was done over a weekend, the hardest bit of mine was bleeding the clutch (3 man job)

It is a worth while mod, which can be done with little cost.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 13th September 2014, 14:28
Just a little more complex for a V70R AWD P1 PH3.......lol but will happen I promise

no1tosh
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:10
cool cheers guys i cant wait, just got a few bits to sell today, to start getting the funds togther.

my only problem is i don have anywhere to put a donor car, so im a bit stuck really lol.

RollingThunder
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:17
If you do go ahead with it, can you do (another) write up please? I might be doing this myself next year on my V70R AWD. Nothing wrong with the autobox, I just think a manual V70R AWD would be a hoot to drive :D and would be better on juice, thinking about it. I'm getting 25mpg on the FWD, I expect about the same on the AWD auto, but should see 28+ on a manual equivalent?

T5frankie
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:18
If you do go ahead with it, can you do (another) write up please? I might be doing this myself next year on my V70R AWD. Nothing wrong with the autobox, I just think a manual V70R AWD would be a hoot to drive :D and would be better on juice, thinking about it. I'm getting 25mpg on the FWD, I expect about the same on the AWD auto, but should see 28+ on a manual equivalent?

my manual fwd can get 35mpg on a run, i travelled 100 miles witha sofa on the roof the other day and still got 32.2mpg and i was doing 70mph lol

Biff
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:18
I'd just like to add not all lads from Wrexham are the same. I am right in thinking he was from Wrexham?
Do you have an address for him? I don't mind knocking on his door seeing as he's had everyone off.

Biff
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:20

You could've done with buying what was left of the bullion when I broke it.
You will struggle to get good mpg though with an awd. Mine was awful compared to my latest model.

RollingThunder
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:24
my manual fwd can get 35mpg on a run, i travelled 100 miles witha sofa on the roof the other day and still got 32.2mpg and i was doing 70mph lol

Wow, thats fantastic. With me running on LPG, that'd make it roughly a 55-60mpg equivalent car :D:D:D Def worth factoring into the cost of a conversion!

T5frankie
Sunday 14th September 2014, 10:26
Wow, thats fantastic. With me running on LPG, that'd make it roughly a 55-60mpg equivalent car :D:D:D Def worth factoring into the cost of a conversion!

makes me undecided whether to keep it or not but 4 cars at the minute

no1tosh
Sunday 14th September 2014, 11:06
lol 4 bladdy, greedy sod!, although i would say keep it.

just realised if i had got this few months before i could had bought that conversion from you and i could have kept the beach suround for the gear stick :(

no1tosh
Sunday 14th September 2014, 22:28
theres a guy on ebay who sells complete conversions for £400 plus £60 for the pallet.
does this sound like a good price?

Jamest5r
Sunday 14th September 2014, 22:36
theres a guy on ebay who sells complete conversions for £400 plus £60 for the pallet.
does this sound like a good price?

Depends what box lol, plus if you have the space break a car weigh it in probably only cost you 150 quid

t5 pete
Sunday 14th September 2014, 22:47
Yep the best option is buy another t5 they can be had pretty cheep and if your wise it "should" end up costing nothing to do the conversion once other bits have sold of the donor car and then weighed in

RollingThunder
Monday 15th September 2014, 08:58
Thats my thinking Pete - you can be sure you have all the bits then as well - that 'kit' may not have every bracket, bit of wire etc that is needed.

no1tosh
Monday 15th September 2014, 21:39
i totally agree, the only problem i have is i have no where to keep and break a second car :(.

uuummmm i have a deilema lol

fitzy
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 04:04
Have a m56 box in my shed,left over from my manual conversion, used a m59 in the end
M56 was part of the complete kit I purchased from forum member, have now sold the car
If you can use it you can have it for free just need to arrange to collect it , let me know.

stribo
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 06:35
makes me undecided whether to keep it or not but 4 cars at the minute

We've got 6 :D

no1tosh
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 12:31
You greedy greedy bugger lol, ill let you know pal thank you for the offee

Ettienne
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 13:57
We've got 6 :D

I've only got 5 at the minute. (4 Volvos)

oblark
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 14:05
Had you thought about a 6 speed conversion ???

The M66 box is a lot stronger than the M56.

no1tosh
Tuesday 16th September 2014, 15:34
I have mate ya but I just havnt got the cash im olny lookin at spending £350 plus clutch and odds and ends.

Theador
Saturday 20th September 2014, 23:16
Quick question, when you do a manual conversion, does the cruise control still work?

Shem's going to be converting my 850r to manual in the next few weeks, using my T5 as a donor. A job that's way beyond me in terms of time and skill.

Ettienne
Saturday 20th September 2014, 23:55
Quick question, when you do a manual conversion, does the cruise control still work?

Shem's going to be converting my 850r to manual in the next few weeks, using my T5 as a donor. A job that's way beyond me in terms of time and skill.

Short answer no, but can be made to work

darzmat
Sunday 21st September 2014, 01:05
Just a quick question whilst on the subject.

What clutch and flywheel would I use on my 1998 v70R if fitting an m56 from my 1995 t5

Theador
Sunday 21st September 2014, 07:23
Cheers, I do like the cruise control option.

Short answer no, but can be made to work

Nealevo
Sunday 21st September 2014, 07:35

Mine still works but you need all the vac hoses from the donor car.

Theador
Sunday 21st September 2014, 08:08
Ok cool. Problem is my donor car doesn't have cruise control.

Anyway sorry for the hijack; kind of relevant at least :)

Mine still works but you need all the vac hoses from the donor car.

no1tosh
Sunday 21st September 2014, 09:00
its all good pal, it very relevent. i find it funny how this seems to be a very popular thing to do but not all that much info on it.

if you do a search on google there's a walk through thread on volvo forums i think and the guy doing it is using cruise control and talks about linkning it up :)

in fact here you go, and the second on from volvo speed and a few links to parts lists, wiring ect....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71697

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/78328-what-to-know-about-a-manual-swap/

hope this helps

Theador
Sunday 21st September 2014, 14:57
Thanks no1... Mine's a 1997my 850r so hopefully I'll get lucky and have the abs controlled cruise too.

its all good pal, it very relevent. i find it funny how this seems to be a very popular thing to do but not all that much info on it.

if you do a search on google there's a walk through thread on volvo forums i think and the guy doing it is using cruise control and talks about linkning it up :)

in fact here you go, and the second on from volvo speed and a few links to parts lists, wiring ect....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71697

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/78328-what-to-know-about-a-manual-swap/

hope this helps

no1tosh
Sunday 21st September 2014, 17:51
same here, i dont think i have cruise control though