PDA

View Full Version : H.I.D Kits High Beam/Low Beam

JamesT5
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 20:52
I've been thinking, or more confusing ones self with the thought of HID kits. I'm thinking of getting those cheapex ones off ebay for the T5 but something has me baffled.....

I'd need 2 x single beam kits, one for low beam and one for high beam. Thing is, if they are just single beam kits, how does the dipped beam point down because there is no element in the HID bulbs so in theory the high beam and low beam would shine in exactly the same way, unless the low beam has mirrors to deflect it or the bulb is angled toward the road.

Just need some clarification here because it's bugging me now.

BigChuck
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 20:57
the lens of the headlight will dictate where the beam shines

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 21:00
One H7 bulb for dipped, one HB3 bulb for high beam. The dipped beam has a metal collar surrounding the tip of the bulb (mounted inside the reflector). The dipped reflector and the cover glass are shaped to project a set pattern at a set distance.

Sharkey R
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 21:02
The angle of the reflectors in the headlight determine the beam pattern, on the R models the reflector unit actually moves so on full beam not only do the spot lights illuminate but the reflectors angle up to give you extra light through the headlights as well.

JamesT5
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 21:03
Smashing thanks guys.

LeeT5
Wednesday 10th September 2014, 02:27
The angle of the reflectors in the headlight determine the beam pattern, on the R models the reflector unit actually moves so on full beam not only do the spot lights illuminate but the reflectors angle up to give you extra light through the headlights as well.

That's why it's called 'Bi-Xenon'. One Xenon reflector unit that provides two different beems. Very effective and super bright!!

JamesT5
Wednesday 10th September 2014, 20:58
That's why it's called 'Bi-Xenon'. One Xenon reflector unit that provides two different beems. Very effective and super bright!!

Yes I know, I had adaptive HID lighting on my Skoda Superb (that I had from new in 2008). :D