PDA

View Full Version : The BIG (Potentially) P2 Remap thread (No Crap!)

Santa
Monday 8th September 2014, 20:25
As requested and to save this keep being repeated over and over again, a potential as it grows Big P2 Remap thread.

This isn't to turn into a bitch fest, let keep religion out of this and so on please!

Format for the thread in an attempt to keep it on track:

This is for maps on P2 cars, if it proves popular then we can look at other models if there is call for it.
Please only share your personal experiences with particular maps. (This includes good and bad but please keep it on point).
Please include as much detail about the car used as possible.
Please feel free to ask questions, those answering questions please don't do so based on hearsay, personal/direct experience to drive answers only please :)

Sorry for the seriousness, hopefully though this can become a wonderful resource.

Ettienne
Monday 8th September 2014, 21:20
i'll kick off

ive had 3 s60r and 1 v70r p2.

BSR map, I did not like as it caused jerking and problems I never got to the bottom of before getting rid of the car, almost like a faulty BCS, which I bought from volvo and then also tried an ipd item and still had problems, performance was improved but the jerking drove me mad.

Mte stage 2 with full ferrita sytem, 337 bhp, much improved over standard and problems I had was over boost upto 25 psi and held a steady 19 psi.

I used high octane fuel.

ARD usa do upgrade turbo internals, billet wheels etc capable (there figures) of upto 400-425 bhp.

forge do an actuator £165 ish and recirc valve.

a pattern copy recirc can be bought cheaply on ebay as vxr k04 turbos use the same one, usually they come with 2 springs, for standard and tuned engines and pressures.

KLracing produce a good intercooler and boost hose kit, £250-300 a good investment as the original intercooler can crack around the outlets for the secondary cooler, or burst.

Poly bushing the engine mounts upper and lower and strutbrace mount on top of the engine, is a good improvement especially on the auto but causes some vibration especially idling.

Subframe inserts made a massive difference to driving feel of the car.

Standard pads and discs with braided lines are very good, plenty for everyday use.

Change your brake fluid especially on a manual as it can lead to premature clutch slave cylinder wear, not a cheap fix at all.

Standard clutches are good up to 375-400.

Replace the vac lines as they tend to split, with silicon, especially the ones under the inlet manifold back to the maf to turbo inlet with the one way valves.

Changed the fuel filter and refurbed the injectors.

All / most of the k24 exhaust and turbo exhaust housings crack but I have had no issue with this, as they are cast and prone to it.

replace all 4 gearbox oils, is a good tip and after 05 angle gear is meant to be 300% stronger, oh the on demand coupling has an oil filter in it, exhaust removal may be necessary to replace it. But definitely service these items as all can wear and be damaged through poor maintenance.

I shimmed my v70r engine after it split with no issue since.

I have a jetex exhaust, which I am very happy with and they are the same as BSR.

oh a must is a good code reader or vida on a laptop, as is a good boost gauge such as ipd (matches the clocks).

Replacement Monroe shocks have fallen in price recently and are available much less than Volvo quote, LINK HERE SOMEONE PLEASE as I can't remember where they are available from.

As a side note

GWE makes exhaust for these.
Dream3r produces maps.
MRP refurbs injectors.

ill leave it to these guys to add there bit to the thread (I have just incase they don't).

Santa
Monday 8th September 2014, 21:39
i'll kick off

ive had 3 s60r and 1 v70r p2.

BSR map, I did not like as it caused jerking and problems I never got to the bottom of before getting rid of the car, almost like a faulty BCS, which I bought a new one from volvo and then also tried an ipd item and still had problems, performance was improved but the jerking drove me mad.

Mte stage 2 with full ferrita sytem, 337 bhp, much improved over standard and problems I had was over boost upto 25 psi and held a steady 19 psi.

I used high octane fuel.

Poly bushing the engine mounts upper and lower and strutbrace mount on top of the engine, is a good improvement especially on the auto but causes some vibration especially idling.

Subframe inserts made a massive difference to driving feel of the car.

Standard pads and discs with braided lines are very good, plenty for everyday use.

Replace the vac lines as they tend to split, with silicon.

Changed the fuel filter and refurbed the injectors.

All / most of the k24 exhaust and turbo exhaust housings crack but I have had no issue with this, as they are cast and prone to it.

replace all 4 gearbox oils, is a good tip and after 05 angle gear is meant to be 300% stronger, oh the on demand coupling has an oil filter in it, exhaust removal may be necessary to replace it.

I shimmed my v70r engine after it split with no issue since.

I have a jetex exhaust, which I am very happy with and they are the same as BSR.

oh a must is a good code reader or vida on a laptop.

Thanks for kicking off Stephen, that was quite detailed.

M-R-P
Monday 8th September 2014, 22:56
Can't be arsed to go into the above kind of detail lol.
So...
Final generation of the 2.3 T5 engine, clean injectors, 3" maf to turbo, ipd tcv, tweaked wastegate, 4mm silicone vac lines, V70R exhaust, poly engine mounts, 210k miles at its last dyno and made 279bhp.

This is with an autotech map from HLM. The car pulls beautifully with a hint if lag below 2k rpm, but you'll expect that from a T5. The power builds with a gentle press on the pedal and kicks you in the arse when you stamp on it. No flat spots, no detonation and great fun.

The car now has a gwe 3" downpipe with a 200cell cat and goes much faster.

I won't go into the value of upgrading things like suspension and brakes to match the added power, as that should be a no-brainer.

volvokid
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 00:00
Mte stage 2 no exhaust upgrades, very smooth but you can see boost spikes of 1.6 BAR under certain WOT, I wonder if the exhaust will change this?

Dream3r
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 07:34
Something I find useful on another forum is the index type sticky threads which link to other helpful threads in one post.

On the R the best bang for buck is probably, stage zero, remap, new brakes and ipd arbs.

Stage zero:

Injectors cleaned or replaced
Shimmed (imo)
Vac pipes changed
TCV changed, OE
Plugs, OE
Brake fluid
Fuel filter
Check engine mounts and driveshaft bolts.
Volvo code read.
Air filter
Oil and filter

I know it's a big list but in my mind required.

Then new exhaust system and intercooler to get another 30 bhp or so.

Intercoolers the 45mm klracing one does the trick and is 300 pounds or so. If you're after something special Tim Williams does a really nice one with a Motorsports core for 850 pounds.

Other things to be done are:

Polybush wishbones (pfv)
Stainless brake lines
Poly engine mounts
Strut brace washer mod

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 08:06
custom dreamer map here and hardware to take the k24 to the max...
i see a lot of you have spikes whereas i can say iv never had one. it holds a strong 22 psi
drivabilty feels better than std and more a pleasure
the silly high revs on startup are gone
not quite sure what my rev limit is set at now but it seems to just keep going into the red :)

mods:
3" decat downpipe and catback
3.25 do88 intake pipe
pipercross filter
do88 ote pipe going to custom fat tube n fin fm intercooler then do88 to throttle
vxr injectors
roose motorsport aux hoses-everthings fresh

next on the list is a wavetrac diff then once the car is fully show specd go bigger turbo...

ExternalError
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 10:20
Custom Dreamer map here, the map pulls smoothly, mine holds at 20psi, rev limiter raised to 7250rpm, no more higher revs at startup.

Mods:
3" cat back exhaust
Polished and ported head
Shimmed block
pipercross airfilter
vxr injectors
aem water/meth injection
AP racing clutch
Single mass flywheel

Planned mods before getting the map tweaked
3" GWE downpipe
KL racing intercooler
3" Intake to turbo pipe

Handling mods to help put the power down
BC coilovers
Polybushed wishbones front and rear bushes on the front control arms
Uprated drop links
Polybushed Engine mounts

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 17:45
BSR remap. Stage 2 with Custom exhaust (CAT back).
Aggressive but pulls hard. No spikes. Holds 21psi at over 4k. Below that 16psi.

In the beginning:

Stage '0'
Serviced as per maintenance schedule with genuine parts only!
New Bevel/Angle gear
New prop shaft
New OE Monroe 4C shocks inc SUM upgrade
New OE Brembo Discs and pads
New OE Brembo calipers
New LuK 'Arduous conditions' Clutch/DMF/slave
Terra cleaned 2012/2013
New Fuel pressure sensor - 2013
New tailgate wiring harness
Latest software
New KKK24 Turbo Dec' 2013
Angle, diff, AOC + filters, Gearbox oils replaced 2014
PCV system replaced - 2014
new oe BPS (Boost pressure sensor) - 2014
new oe TCV - 2014
new oe MAF - 2014
Only use Shell V-power or Tesco Momentum (both 99RON)
All vac hoses replaced with 6mm ID fuel pipe.

Mods: (cosmetic/aesthetic not listed)

Volvo Aluminum belly protector plate (with gearbox and engine cooling ducts)
IPD 'R' Boost gauge
Custom made SS 2.75" cat back exhaust/OE look trim
Elevate Air Management System
Elevate Blue performance cotton air filter (dry)
Powerflex engine top mount (yellow square)
OE uprated transmission torque rod bush
Forge Motorsports Aluminium Compressor bypass valve - c/w 10psi spring
ATE super blue dot 5.1
IPD (anodized blue) strut brace brackets
Tim Williams FMIC
Powerflex w/bone bushes
Powerflex rear inner rear lower arm bushes (Black series)
Powerflex rear toe control arm bushes (purple)
Powerflex rear upper link-Y arm front void kit (purple)
Powerflex rear outer rear lower arm bushes (purple)
Poly sub frame inserts
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 235/40ZR18 XL- summer (35psi)
Vredestein Wintrac extreme 235/40ZR 18 XL - winter (35psi)
Eibach 5mm spacers front/rear

Planned:

200 cell race cat
3" custom exhaust + larger tips
MTE remap
Re leather and customise steering wheel
New leather OE gear knob.
Volvotech CFE.
140k service at Dealer (for full software update)
New IPD R Gauge (mine is -2 psi out)

For full list of all mods, see my garage.

Dream3r
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 18:08
Did you switch the boost comments around mate or does it hold 21psi to the redline?

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 18:36
Did you switch the boost comments around mate or does it hold 21psi to the redline?

I don't redline and if I do I'm looking at the road, not the gauge!
However, to answer the question, when ever I have floored it in lower gears to high revs it always seems to be at 21psi (when I glance at the gauge)

Dream3r
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 18:42
I don't think it will hold 21 psi to the red line, maybe 5k. Anyhow, it doesn't matter :)

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th September 2014, 18:58
I don't think it will hold 21 psi to the red line, maybe 5k. Anyhow, it doesn't matter :)

I hear what your saying, but I never actually said it holds 21psi at 6k!
The most i've ever taken my engine to is 5500 and in 1st and 2nd that's not for very long at all. Both times at that rpm the gauge is sitting at 21 psi (which is really 23 psi allowing for my sheite gauge)
I know what the gauge is 'actually' reading because I've tested it with my Mityvac.
By the time I change to 3rd I'm going too fast to look at the gauge...80mph + (or is that 80 Km/h :mischievo?)
...Anyway, 3rd hits about 18 - 20 psi, 4th 16 - 17 psi and after that I'm in license loosing territory.

Remember, with an awd car your more likely to get accurate boost readings because the wheels are all under control and not wildly spinning or losing traction, which will inevitably cause boost spikes on the gauge.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 15:27
Keeping on topic I found this link on ipd, dreamer is able to remove the limiter on 1st and 2nd on my (much much better) tf80sc box. I think the late autos were tarred with the same brush as the earlier auto boxes.

Although nosh ran his auto 450 bhp ish for 50k miles without problem and a total on the box of 115k before problems.

Ipd have also seen the results and just doing this (there numbers) reduce 0-60 1.3 seconds.

Additional Technical Information
Special notes for S60R and V70R owners
We have a few options for R owners to consider. Torque limiting on S60R and V70R Geartonic models. (auto trans) 2004-05 S60R and V70R models with Geartronic automatic transmissions are torque limited to 250lbs/ft of torque in 1st and 2nd gear. This severely reduces the standing start performance and results in a 0-60 time that is almost two seconds slower than the manual transmission version. Two seconds may not sound like much, but at 60 mph it’s over eight car lengths. Our standard ECU upgrade for these models retains the torque limiting, so 0-60 performance is essentially stock, as our upgrades to the software for this model do not take effect until the car shifts into 3rd gear. At the urging of customers, we developed a non-torque limited version that provides full power in all gears. While testing the non restricted version, we recorded a 5.4 0-60 time, which is an improvement of 1.3 seconds. Huge. What’s the risk? Our Swedish partners at MTE that developed the upgrade have customers who have been aggressively running the this version for over 24 months without any problems, however, we don’t want to imply that it’s risk free. Therefore we require that you sign and return a simple waiver (indicating that you understand the potential risks) before we will install this software. Understand that a car manufacturer has to consider all the possible uses and abuses its products may be subject to and that is why there is torque limiting. It prevents overheating of the drivetrain under extreme conditions such as max GVW towing over mountain passes in the heat of summer, etc

There is some debate if the tf80sc box is limited in 1st and 2nd i have the boost gauge fitted now so I'll see if there is any variation.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7756/115121-engine-ecu-flash-tune-upgrade-for-motronic-7-turbo-models-1999

If mine is restricted I'll be lifting it off.

Dream3r
Saturday 27th September 2014, 16:37
The later cars are 1000000% limited, but you only see the limit when they're mapped. Running factory boost, they don't hit the max load required to hit the torque cap. Mapped, they do. FWIW I'm referring to 2003-2007 R's.

Ettienne
Saturday 27th September 2014, 16:46
I see, so you can unlimit 1st and 2nd the aw55/51 gearboxes 2003-2005 and get a useful improvement on 0-60.

However they can also map them to make further improvements.

The 2005-2007 tf80sc boxes are not limited in standard form enough to show up, however it shows up when mapped, which can removed.

So mapped with or without limiter and standard makes no real difference.

Dream3r
Saturday 27th September 2014, 16:51
Correct!

Ettienne
Sunday 28th September 2014, 08:32
Ok, so I also believe that MTE can remove the limiter from 1st and 2nd on the aw55/51 boxes and quite possibly others such as rica.

But currently only dreamer has worked out the removal of the limiter on the later cars.

It is worth noting that the polestar with launch control uses the tf80sc box wth 0-60 of 4.7 seconds, so in my mind they must be a bit durable, I've not seen anything saying they have unrated the internals.

Ettienne
Sunday 28th September 2014, 09:30
Here is a link to extremely good his guides for v70r / s60r

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?69045-S60R-V70R-Modification-amp-Repair-Index

It's all heading then broken down into sub headings, it really covers a lot.

Including tuning, turbos, intercoolers, map comparisons, worth a look through even to achieve a good stage zero.

Dream3r
Sunday 28th September 2014, 23:26
Speaking generally, if a tuner can't do 05+ cars, but can do the earlier cars then they only know one part of the story.

Ok, so I also believe that MTE can remove the limiter from 1st and 2nd on the aw55/51 boxes and quite possibly others such as rica.

But currently only dreamer has worked out the removal of the limiter on the later cars.

It is worth noting that the polestar with launch control uses the tf80sc box wth 0-60 of 4.7 seconds, so in my mind they must be a bit durable, I've not seen anything saying they have unrated the internals.

don kalmar union
Monday 29th September 2014, 10:35
I have all the MTE software upgrades available here in the UK that have been referred to earlier in this thread. They cost £395 including VAT in all forms... Stage 1 stage 2 etc.

MTE offer to raise the torque limits in all cars fitted with AW transmissions. It is up to my customers to make the decision, unlike IPD I require no exchange of paperwork. In respect of the AWD cars it is important to remember that unlike the front wheel drive cars there is double the grip when it comes to loading up the transmission..... you loose the benefit of wheelspin in relation to protection of the transmission.....

I make no separate charge for MTE increasing the torque limits, that is an option included in the standard price.

Regards, Don.

Dream3r
Monday 29th September 2014, 10:56
There are multiple kinds of performance limiting on the various models of Volvos. Not all are the same and the only one that was actually named "torque limiting" by Volvo was the system used on the Gear-Tronic models that were sold through 2005.

This Gear-Tronic torque limiting is built into the ECU programming to protect the torque converter in the first two gears. In effect, this drastically curtails the available power in the first two gears and can be removed. IPD has always had the ability to remove this, and still does at the request of the customer on applicable cars. I don't know where any rumors to the contrary come from.

Other forms of performance limiting in the lower gears is not set up as a "cap" in the engine mapping the way the Gear-Tronic cars were done. In fact there is no "ECU based" torque limiting in the 2006 and later models. That does not mean that there is no performance limiting on the car. It means it cannot be removed from the ECU on the later models since it is not a straight limit in the ECU like the earlier cars.

Muddy much?
Ken

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?216486-Who-can-tune-out-the-torque-limiter-from-the-04-TCM&p=2384484&viewfull=1#post2384484

Two different answers I am afraid. Also, the bold is factually incorrect. Anyway, this is what is causing all of the confusion, so it should be put right here!

LeeT5
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 10:35
As I understand it, Ken is saying that <55 plate Geartronic = ECU torque limiter for 1st and 2nd.
>06- Geartronic = Torque limiting but not in the ECU.

Ettienne
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 11:30
I think they are both in the ECU with speaking with john via here and other forums.

Interesting though

Dream3r
Tuesday 30th September 2014, 11:49
Correct, both are in the ecu. Tbh, I don't believe for one second that MTE don't know that so I think Ken will be misinformed.

Ettienne
Saturday 17th January 2015, 09:01
Worth pointing out that the p2.5s have uprated angle gears and collars.

What is interesting is the p2.5 auto 6sp has a bespoke collar that is uprated (larger) and unique to this car, not sure if the angle gear is also unique.

Mines on 146k miles and recently had the angle gear removed by my excellent Indy it get to the oil return from the turbo.

He inspected the collar and said if still looks good.

Dream3r
Saturday 17th January 2015, 09:22
Worth pointing out that the p2.5s have uprated angle gears and collars.

What is interesting is the p2.5 auto 6sp has a bespoke collar that is uprated (larger) and unique to this car, not sure if the angle gear is also unique.

Mines on 146k miles and recently had the angle gear removed by my excellent Indy it get to the oil return from the turbo.

He inspected the collar and said if still looks good.

That's only on MY06 onwards, MY05 still had the older gen2 haldex.

Ettienne
Saturday 17th January 2015, 09:23
Ok so it's on my 07/03/2006 car, cool well I hope it is lol

Dream3r
Saturday 17th January 2015, 10:04
Yes you're will be MY06, MY05 was also a P2.5 to confuse things.

Ettienne
Saturday 17th January 2015, 10:07
They like a bit of confusion.

So is mine the same as the xc60 as i know it's got a different angle gear / haldex set up.

Dream3r
Tuesday 27th January 2015, 13:54
They like a bit of confusion.

So is mine the same as the xc60 as i know it's got a different angle gear / haldex set up.

Not sure, if the XC60 has a gen 3 haldex adn a DEM then I guess it will be.

It's basically a gen2 with an additional pump afaik. I think the collar was also improved somewhat.

Ettienne
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 17:59
Can we pin this for newbies

M-R-P
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 20:18
Seeing this pop up again, I thought I'd ad a little more

The autotech map on mine seems to adapt well to new mods.
I fitted a 3" downpipe and race cat and it loved it, I fitted greens and after a bit of overfuelling, it adapted nicely.

New turbo coming soon and I'll update with how it reacts ;)

ExternalError
Tuesday 18th August 2015, 20:29
just a standard swap or an upgrade?

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 10:14
2005 V70 r elevate air management system 200 cell sports cat and ipd oval cat back, forge CBV. stage 2 rica re-map. car runs fine but i have been having an issue reaching boost and it spikes around 12psi erratically. i have tried a few solutions but with no success. not sure if it is the re-map or something else. Nearly at the give up point.

ExternalError
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 10:40
Have you done the usual check for boost leaks on the main boost pipework and also the vac hoses. Could also be the Turbo Control Valve is needs replacing as if it hasn't been done before now its well overdue.

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 11:23
Have you done the usual check for boost leaks on the main boost pipework and also the vac hoses. Could also be the Turbo Control Valve is needs replacing as if it hasn't been done before now its well overdue.

I am just about to do this I will let you know the results.

cheers, Craig

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 11:49
I am just about to do this I will let you know the results.

cheers, Craig

the TCV that is.

LeeT5
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 13:08
2005 V70 r elevate air management system 200 cell sports cat and ipd oval cat back, forge CBV. stage 2 rica re-map. car runs fine but i have been having an issue reaching boost and it spikes around 12psi erratically. i have tried a few solutions but with no success. not sure if it is the re-map or something else. Nearly at the give up point.

Almost definately an air leak, possibly internal so won't show up on smoke leak test.
Erratic spike of boost is the give away.
Most ppl think that air leaks put on engine light but in most cases they won't. Should see some error codes thou.

LeeT5
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 13:09
I bet you'll have an error code in relation to MAF. This doesn't mean the MAF is knackered, just means you have an air leak.

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 13:28
thanks guys, what sort of things should i be checking for the air leak, as in inlet manifold etc? i will see if i can post the boost read out.

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 13:30
i assume as this could be internal it is not a good thing. i have just had this engine re-built, dont know if i could face going through all that again.29505

LeeT5
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 13:56
Never assume anything!

You'll need a Mityvac to check for internal leaks. Best thing to do is replace all the one way valves on the vac lines. These often leak and are often overlooked. They will cause MAF codes and erratic throttle and idle behaviour with intermittent fault codes.
Also check your boost gauge is not leaking and associated pipework!!
This will cause the same symptoms especially if it's a split plastic tube that opens up at 10psi etc.

Craigtange
Tuesday 25th August 2015, 14:24
This is the bit that is confusing me the car idles perfectly and drives perfect, i just get very little boost. I have checked all the piping I can see, maybe time to get it in the garage and just strip the whole thing down. it so annoying being in Scotland as there is no one up here at all to go to for assistance with this. I will probably have an emotional cry of joy when I get to the bottom of this....lol :)

Craigtange
Saturday 5th September 2015, 23:33
Ok, I can finally post about my rica stage 2 re-map. My car has elevate air management system with bonnet vent. uprated intake and down pipe courtesy of Graeme welch. iPad oval cat back exhaust, stainless over engine pipe and uprated intercooler piping. Forge cbv and actuator. Just saying that after my boost issues have been sorted (no comment) :confused: this re-map seems super good, the throttle is a lot more responsive and it holds 22psi boost steady. I will be putting the car on a rolling road soon to see the numbers and get back to you soon with figures. But after 2 engine re-builds and an angle gear re-build I am finally a happy man, in the whole time I have had this car I have been close to giving up a few times but alas I am happy I have stuck it out and I feel it's been totally worth it. Thanks to everyone that has offered advice and help through this journey it's been really really appreciated. :B_thumb:

M-R-P
Sunday 6th September 2015, 09:21
Apple are making exhausts now?

Harvey
Sunday 6th September 2015, 10:13
No but the cars sounds like it's going to be a real peach. :saythat:

Craigtange
Monday 7th September 2015, 00:40

Ha ha ha, got me there. Better get on to editing then.

Dream3r
Tuesday 8th September 2015, 11:56
This is the bit that is confusing me the car idles perfectly and drives perfect, i just get very little boost. I have checked all the piping I can see, maybe time to get it in the garage and just strip the whole thing down. it so annoying being in Scotland as there is no one up here at all to go to for assistance with this. I will probably have an emotional cry of joy when I get to the bottom of this....lol :)

What was the boost fix matey?

LeeT5
Wednesday 9th September 2015, 02:00
What was the boost fix matey?

See thread #45. I think it was something to do with the TCV lines being fitted the wrong way!

Craigtange
Wednesday 9th September 2015, 09:46
yes i am a fool, the lines running to the TCV where on the wrong way round.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 14:30
lol haha that pico graph is interesting....is the bottom axis time? What sensor BPS 5v = fault to ground/3 BAR absolute on the R LOL

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 14:34
Since I'm not tuning anymore or a trader I can offer advice here based on my experience of tuning a few fast Volvo's.

Datalogs/Dyno's required, and I don't want to know the tuner, lol.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 14:41
Ok, I can finally post about my rica stage 2 re-map. My car has elevate air management system with bonnet vent. uprated intake and down pipe courtesy of Graeme welch. iPad oval cat back exhaust, stainless over engine pipe and uprated intercooler piping. Forge cbv and actuator. Just saying that after my boost issues have been sorted (no comment) :confused: this re-map seems super good, the throttle is a lot more responsive and it holds 22psi boost steady. I will be putting the car on a rolling road soon to see the numbers and get back to you soon with figures. But after 2 engine re-builds and an angle gear re-build I am finally a happy man, in the whole time I have had this car I have been close to giving up a few times but alas I am happy I have stuck it out and I feel it's been totally worth it. Thanks to everyone that has offered advice and help through this journey it's been really really appreciated. :B_thumb:

What caused two engine rebuilds mate? I'd be wary mapping it until that is resolved, I had a look through your posts but couldn't see.

Ettienne
Sunday 20th September 2015, 15:52
Since I'm not tuning anymore or a trader I can offer advice here based on my experience of tuning a few fast Volvo's.

Datalogs/Dyno's required, and I don't want to know the tuner, lol.

Very decent of you, although you'd have to translate into English for me lol

Dream3r
Sunday 20th September 2015, 18:01
Very decent of you, although you'd have to translate into English for me lol

I can answer ME7 tuning questions? Volvo ME7

Craigtange
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 10:58
split piston liners both times, the first time was the learnig curve with the original engine, then i got a replacement bottom end and the guy re-building it didnt notice the liner was already split. :( so finally got another bottom end and had it shimmed and it has been fine ever since. i love learning the hard way it seems and have a good deal of bad luck.

Craigtange
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 10:59
lol haha that pico graph is interesting....is the bottom axis time? What sensor BPS 5v = fault to ground/3 BAR absolute on the R LOL

i also dont have a clue what the graph is, he just gave it to me with the invoice and didnt explain.

Dream3r
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 13:40
Two blocks, same map nearly always is the map man. Peak Toque figures there nice in a dyno but not on the 2.5L

What does it boost to @ 3k?

Edit just read 22 psi toooo much on stock block! Also the AMS will lean out your fuel trims a bit so what them, maf will compensate tough but then you'll get a maf code, really the AMS needs to whole post and pre maf correction redone. I did one once and i felt quite a bit better on/off throttle.

Dream3r
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 13:46
i also dont have a clue what the graph is, he just gave it to me with the invoice and didnt explain.

Looks like it was some sort of log of the BPS, hopefully on the bench.

Craigtange
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 15:32
Two blocks, same map nearly always is the map man. Peak Toque figures there nice in a dyno but not on the 2.5L

What does it boost to @ 3k?

Edit just read 22 psi toooo much on stock block! Also the AMS will lean out your fuel trims a bit so what them, maf will compensate tough but then you'll get a maf code, really the AMS needs to whole post and pre maf correction redone. I did one once and i felt quite a bit better on/off throttle.

the block went before i had the re-map done, i had down pipe with 200cell cat, ipd cat back and elevate air management system. (i think this might if been causing it to run lean) the second block was fecked before i even turned the key. the guy that found the issue with the TCV piping, had it out on the road with his diagnostic kit and said everything was running as it should he even called the guy that put the rica re-map on just to confirm the readings. (wish i had a print out)

Craigtange
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 15:33
just away to instal a boost gauge this week so hopefully get some real time
figures back to you then. :)

Dream3r
Tuesday 13th October 2015, 16:49
the block went before i had the re-map done, i had down pipe with 200cell cat, ipd cat back and elevate air management system. (i think this might if been causing it to run lean) the second block was fecked before i even turned the key. the guy that found the issue with the TCV piping, had it out on the road with his diagnostic kit and said everything was running as it should he even called the guy that put the rica re-map on just to confirm the readings. (wish i had a print out)

I've heard of them going stock. The wideband should have kept it in check but you will get a actual vs commanded variance. The rica maps have odd fuelling normally, just their way.

Log ignition retard, angle, ps-w, rl_w, pvdkds and te_w

Craigtange
Wednesday 14th October 2015, 12:44
I've heard of them going stock. The wideband should have kept it in check but you will get a actual vs commanded variance. The rica maps have odd fuelling normally, just their way.

Log ignition retard, angle, ps-w, rl_w, pvdkds and te_w

i think if i kept it totally stock i might of been alright, i had been driving the car for nearly a year trouble free, then i added the items above and thats when the issues started. fingers croseed everything is fine now. the car seems to run reallyt well very smooth power delivery and it idles perfectly. i cant face another hic-up not for a little while anyway....intercooler is the next purchase. then i have to start looking at a bigger turbo i suppose, injectors etc etc.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 06:14
I'm not a trader but I feel it's in the interests of the club:

Want to a clone ECU? Want to sell your bought map that you're not happy with or just want to return to stock not loose your investment? I can offer this Service for ALL p2 cars inc Diesel :) All done via CAN with no soldering, all you need is original ecu and a Doner. Note I wont copy bought maps to another ECU, not right and will be checked so speak to me first!, if you want to sell your map then this is ideal.

This is the only thing really worthwhile me doing to help (not free) Shem/Hiltons got ME7/Me9 covered, I'm doing an RS/ST logger/reader and a VAG logger for later cars among a lot of NDA'd stuff.

The world opened when I went to vag so I'm happy. They get new stuff, I enjoy it, all's good! :)

Also the Volvo P3 Pin code stuff is solved as is Ford RS read - can't believe no-one figured that one out.

Just a friendly update to you guys in this club wondering. ECM-TECH is back but is only working with ELITE tuners, it's good to see my work being appreciated by a unamed (NDA) mega tuners.

Also the impossible p2 auto-trans swap can be done at Shems but is costly. 100% correct no warnings and if you're nce I can enable any factory option :)

I can also remove the CEM/ECM mapping code, seatbelt chime the whole lot.

Since I'm mega busy with tuners I can't guarantee anything small in a timeframe but I'm here, Volvo less just letting you know.

Shem can also supply anything on Hilton Tuning's site now same price as the site.

Note the small offers (clone e.g) are just for this club as it's been the nicest.

Rich I'd email but you don't reply sorry, delete if you want, but i believe that members should know this stuff, there is no much disinformation it is unreal. Yes It's commercial.

I'm considering creating a Volvo ME7 tuning suite which wold auto-find maps for stage 1 or bolt on stage 2, cusom you need a pro. Also airbag light erase for free and a little toolkit I made for various diag duties (again free). I don't work for free but if you guys want to make the suite happen like M4 then it can :) .

John.

Ettienne
Sunday 20th March 2016, 07:30
I've been speaking with Shem this week regards mine, I had an interesting question, I want to freshen up the gearbox before mapping or at the same time, I was looking to fit a late 2013 up xc90 box the ratios are slightly shorter, would that cause a problem? With soft ware?

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 07:39
I've been speaking with Shem this week regards mine, I had an interesting question, I want to freshen up the gearbox before mapping or at the same time, I was looking to fit a late 2013 up xc90 box the ratios are slightly shorter, would that cause a problem? With soft ware?

If it does the ratios can be recaibrated.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 07:52

Old reply maybe lean spots but without recalibration the AMS is useless it's that simple.

Sorry about the blocks these need specialists.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 07:55

Shems doing an RS4 maf conversion with your specs and 11 blade K24, results are stupendous.

Ettienne
Sunday 20th March 2016, 08:12
The results were spectacular lol

It's not the same car as mine Mat's is the 5sp auto

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 08:30
The results were spectacular lol

It's not the same car as mine Mat's is the 5sp auto

Yes they are a bit weak I think he's going M66 if he want's 350WHP lol.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 08:56
I should add it's not easy to recalibrate if i needs it, in fact Shem is the only one in the UK that can do it.

The car knows which gears it's in by speed/rpm, if it's out the torque structure is not happy cruise won't work, etc.

I've done it before was a pain.

Ettienne
Sunday 20th March 2016, 08:57
I was trying to keep the autobox, but just go newer, but the gear ratios are slightly different on the xc90 box

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 09:00
i think if i kept it totally stock i might of been alright, i had been driving the car for nearly a year trouble free, then i added the items above and thats when the issues started. fingers croseed everything is fine now. the car seems to run reallyt well very smooth power delivery and it idles perfectly. i cant face another hic-up not for a little while anyway....intercooler is the next purchase. then i have to start looking at a bigger turbo i suppose, injectors etc etc.

Seems to add up to high cylinder pressures midrange. My advice, get shot of the RICA. They are poor ME7 tuners, like the worst.

Dream3r
Sunday 20th March 2016, 09:32
I was trying to keep the autobox, but just go newer, but the gear ratios are slightly different on the xc90 box

Auto the TCM defines the shift pattern ECM does a bit inc recieve a can signal for selected gear, etc. I'd say no or risk an expensive fail.

Dream3r
Wednesday 23rd March 2016, 02:40
Looks like a M66 for mat and some witchcraft in the CEM for , Shem, I thnk, will be the first in the UK to complete the job. with no codes.

I can see this option being popular with 04 R's wanting power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kevinking2020
Sunday 19th June 2016, 10:02
I'm looking into get a remap.

I've only got OEM K&N style filter, 3" downpipe, decat and 3" exhaust. I'm looking into buying universal intercooler core and then get some custom piping done. I can't justify spending £800-900 on an intercooler kit.

I've contacted Shem and he said, he can do a stage 2.5 with RS4 Maf and billet wheel. Just waiting on a price and then hopefully I'll book it in.

What sort of power will this make?

Will I need anything esle to go along with the remap?

when I purchased the car it already came with a stage 1 remap and according to previous owner it would have been 340BHP but that was done like 5 years + ago.

M-R-P
Sunday 19th June 2016, 11:28
340 on stage 1?

Erm.... I think you might have been told a bit of a porky-pie...

kevinking2020
Sunday 19th June 2016, 16:57
340 on stage 1?

oh really. I thought stage 1 was 340BHP. There's alot of tuning websites saying 330BHP, 340BHP. BSR website says 354BHP on a stage 1 and stage 2 with same power.

When it got mapped there was no dyno or printout. Maybe worth getting her on a dyno before doing stage 2.5 to see where I'm at and then dyno after.

Rnash2002
Sunday 19th June 2016, 19:32
oh really. I thought stage 1 was 340BHP. There's alot of tuning websites saying 330BHP, 340BHP. BSR website says 354BHP on a stage 1 and stage 2 with same power.

When it got mapped there was no dyno or printout. Maybe worth getting her on a dyno before doing stage 2.5 to see where I'm at and then dyno after.
I would have thought 330 to 340 on a R with a stage 1, you should be looking the other side of 370bhp ish with a stage 2.5

LeeT5
Sunday 19th June 2016, 20:29
Not being funny, but WTF is a stage 2.5?
Exactly what is it your getting half of?
With regards to BSR, they do stage 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Stage 1 is 348bhp/498Nm but you need a freeflow air filter and at least cat back exhaust. (Model R only).

Ettienne
Sunday 19th June 2016, 22:45
340 on stage 1?

Mine had dp and catback and map made 337bhp and 360ftlbs no intercooler what's that stage 1.5?

jamesy12345
Monday 20th June 2016, 08:07
Hilton website has some good info on the stages

http://hiltontuning.com/product-category/allproducts/stagetunes/volvo/p2r/

Their version for the R models:

Stage 1 software only
Stage 2 downpipe & catback + software
Stage 2.5 dowpipe, catback, intercooler, MAF upgrade + software
Stage 3 downpipe, catback, intercooler, MAF, injectors, turbo + software
Stage 4 (!) same as stage 3 I think but with more boost

I'm planning to take my S60R into Shemtek for possibly one of the above or maybe live mapping - not sure who does that for him maybe Dream3r via emails

Rnash2002
Monday 20th June 2016, 10:13
Not being funny, but WTF is a stage 2.5?
Exactly what is it your getting half of?
With regards to BSR, they do stage 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Stage 1 is 348bhp/498Nm but you need a freeflow air filter and at least car back exhaust.
Shems stage 2.5 is a basic stage 2, full exhaust, injectors, intercooler but then with the billet wheel for the turbo, you can also add the larger maf to that, stage 3 is with a bigger turbo.

Rnash2002
Monday 20th June 2016, 10:14
Hilton website has some good info on the stages

http://hiltontuning.com/product-category/allproducts/stagetunes/volvo/p2r/

Their version for the R models:

Stage 1 software only
Stage 2 downpipe & catback + software
Stage 2.5 dowpipe, catback, intercooler, MAF upgrade + software
Stage 3 downpipe, catback, intercooler, MAF, injectors, turbo + software
Stage 4 (!) same as stage 3 I think but with more boost

I'm planning to take my S60R into Shemtek for possibly one of the above or maybe live mapping - not sure who does that for him maybe Dream3r via emails
I think Shem maps them him self now.

jamesy12345
Monday 20th June 2016, 10:30
I think Shem maps them him self now.

o didn't realise he did them himself, the plan is to get my car down there shortly for a map maybe this week or next. Not really looking for any hardware changes unless something breaks...so probably will go for stage 2, as the car already has dp, catback & KL racing intercooler. I liked the idea of the map switching via the COMFORT/SPORT/ADVANCED buttons on the Hilton website

Rnash2002
Monday 20th June 2016, 10:44
o didn't realise he did them himself, the plan is to get my car down there shortly for a map maybe this week or next. Not really looking for any hardware changes unless something breaks...so probably will go for stage 2, as the car already has dp, catback & KL racing intercooler. I liked the idea of the map switching via the COMFORT/SPORT/ADVANCED buttons on the Hilton website
Im hoping to get mine mapped for the 2.5 next week.

M-R-P
Monday 20th June 2016, 10:59

Ah - didn't realise it was an R, my mistake :)

kevinking2020
Monday 20th June 2016, 12:08
Stage 2.5 is pretty much RS4 Maf.

This might be useful information: Prices from Shemtek

RS4 Maf is £120.00 but requires custom intake pipe and modifying to airbox, that's another £200.00

For the billet wheel install, if the turbo needs rebuilding that's £400.00

Stage 1 - £300.00
Stage 2 - £400.00
Stage 2.5 - £450.00

don kalmar union
Monday 20th June 2016, 19:52
I have been selling MTE's Swdedish written, well received software calibrations for nigh on 20 years now. For all those vehicles with ME7 and ME9 ECU's the price is £395 including VAT and you do not need to travel to install it, you do it yourself using MTE's unique Softloader interface to connect an XP equipped or compatible laptop to your car's OBD port. I loan that Softloader against a fully returnable deposit of £155.

There are only effectively 2 stages of tune available at these prices stage 1 does not require any physical changes, but stage 2 requires both a replacement downpipe with special cat and a 'sports' cat back to acheive the full target outputs. If you buy and install stage 2 it will run the car to stage 1 outputs due to the sophistication of MTE's calibration and MTE not interfering with Volo/Bosch component protection protocols, this is usefull for those not wanting to fit the full exhaust maybe due to budget restraints at the start. With these MTE calibrations you do not need to change anything else, no filters, no bigger injectors, nothing to get their calibrations to safely run your car. The inlet tracts of these cars are pretty good from the factory, as are the intercoolers. You do need to invest in a very good quality intercooler if you are going to press on in high ambient temperatures or take your car on track at any temperatures. An intercooler will not increase outputs otherwise, unless as part of a much higher output project, a good one will solely stop the ECU invoking those component protection protocols from pulling back on the higher set target. The only intercooler that does this is the UK made kit available from Tim Williams in Coalville at £850 all in.

Back to MTE's calibrations.

The outputs you will get with MTE software alone are for stage 1 Earlier P2 T5 275bhp, 430nm, later 2.4l T5 330bhp, 480nm. R 335bhp 480nm.

plus a full good quality sports exhaust stage2 Earlier T5 300bhp, 460nm, later 2.4l T5 350bhp, 500nm. R 360bhp 500nm.

Don.

Dream3r
Wednesday 27th July 2016, 22:56
Stage 2.5 map is rs4 maf and redone torque model. I know as I did it worth in on a p2r as the Maf is pegged a bit. Softloader is win7 to win 10 though ideally the car should be ram logged before and after.

Shems your man!

LeeT5
Wednesday 27th July 2016, 23:26
I have been selling MTE's Swdedish written, well received software calibrations for nigh on 20 years now. For all those vehicles with ME7 and ME9 ECU's the price is £395 including VAT and you do not need to travel to install it, you do it yourself using MTE's unique Softloader interface to connect an XP equipped or compatible laptop to your car's OBD port. I loan that Softloader against a fully returnable deposit of £155.

There are only effectively 2 stages of tune available at these prices stage 1 does not require any physical changes, but stage 2 requires both a replacement downpipe with special cat and a 'sports' cat back to acheive the full target outputs. If you buy and install stage 2 it will run the car to stage 1 outputs due to the sophistication of MTE's calibration and MTE not interfering with Volo/Bosch component protection protocols, this is usefull for those not wanting to fit the full exhaust maybe due to budget restraints at the start. With these MTE calibrations you do not need to change anything else, no filters, no bigger injectors, nothing to get their calibrations to safely run your car. The inlet tracts of these cars are pretty good from the factory, as are the intercoolers. You do need to invest in a very good quality intercooler if you are going to press on in high ambient temperatures or take your car on track at any temperatures. An intercooler will not increase outputs otherwise, unless as part of a much higher output project, a good one will solely stop the ECU invoking those component protection protocols from pulling back on the higher set target. The only intercooler that does this is the UK made kit available from Tim Williams in Coalville at £850 all in.

The outputs you will get with MTE software alone are for stage 1 Earlier P2 T5 275bhp, 430nm, later 2.4l T5 330bhp, 480nm. R 335bhp 480nm.

plus a full good quality sports exhaust stage2 Earlier T5 300bhp, 460nm, later 2.4l T5 350bhp, 500nm. R 360bhp 500nm.

Don.

That's me sorted then :wink:

Ettienne
Thursday 28th July 2016, 14:22

Don.

I'd say a little optimistic on power figures but tbh not excessively had 3 mte mapped cars and a bsr.

I'd certainly have another mte map going by the previous cars.

jamesy12345
Monday 21st November 2016, 08:22
Bump....has anyone tried Hilton yet in the UK? If so, what stage & combination of hardware??

Considering a stage 2.5 or even 3...

Ettienne
Monday 21st November 2016, 09:41
Bump....has anyone tried Hilton yet in the UK? If so, what stage & combination of hardware??

Considering a stage 2.5 or even 3...

Yes Shem has mapped a V70r on manual conversion using 2.5 and anti lag, not seen figures for it but I've been in contact with Robert Hilton and he said he would come to the U.K. and map at a Dyno session with enough interest or one can load his maps via dice.

kevinking2020
Tuesday 22nd November 2016, 19:09
Yes Shem has mapped a V70r on manual conversion using 2.5 and anti lag, not seen figures for it but I've been in contact with Robert Hilton and he said he would come to the U.K. and map at a Dyno session with enough interest or one can load his maps via dice.

I would be interested in that if Robert came to the UK.

I need another remap and been looking into Hilton's stage 2 with anti-lag & No Lift shift, but with the pound dropped it's £604

Ettienne
Tuesday 22nd November 2016, 20:28
Yes exchange rate is a pita

don kalmar union
Tuesday 22nd November 2016, 21:06
I would be interested in that if Robert came to the UK.

I need another remap and been looking into Hilton's stage 2 with anti-lag & No Lift shift, but with the pound dropped it's £604

There is just so much that is rotten about this proposition.

Do you have any idea, at all, what this nonsense does to a clutch.... any clutch.

Such stuff is to be considered only on true competition cars, a thoroughly dishonest proposition for a 'road' car.

Don.

Ric@rdo
Saturday 10th June 2017, 22:03
Here is the latest file I have on my car. It was tuned by Gustav (contrast).

The mods on my engine are:
Green Injectors
K24 with 11 blade billet wheel (non-hybrid)
Do88 BigPack
Do88 3" intake hose
Ferrita Downpipe and Catback
Colder spark plugs (Denso Iridium IKH27)
IPD HD coils

I have other stuff like the D5 oil cooler, S40/C30 T5 exhaust gasket, but it wont make any difference on the dyno. I got with the tune the shift light and the knock light.

Dyno plot (stock vs tuned) - both done on 4th gear.

T5boy
Friday 23rd June 2017, 15:14
Hi all, seems appropriate my first post is a positive one!

Recently installed the S1 BSR map on my 2003 V70 T5, I was very sceptical having read lots of slightly negative posts on other forums but my experience is 100% satisfaction. Power builds smoothly from around 2000 rpm all the way past 6000 rpm and is very 'drivable' throughout the range. Throttle response is good (not the spiky beast some have experienced) and mid range torque dramatically improved, as you can tell I'm hugely impressed!

I have probably remapped around 10 of my cars, mainly VAG & BMW from the likes of REVO, APR and custom bespoke maps the BSR tune is easily on a par in my opinion.

To conclude perhaps BSR listened to customer feedback and revised throttle mapping, in any case a fantastic product - recommended and makes the old V70 a perfect MTB carrier for weekend fun!

M-R-P
Saturday 24th June 2017, 10:44
Nice. I've experienced the BSR map on a c70 with (almost) the same engine, it's pretty good for driveability if a little lacking after 5krpm.

Will there be any other mods going on? As I have an identical engine in my car, I know there's a lot more to be had without impacting reliability (currently on 228k miles).

T5boy
Saturday 24th June 2017, 11:04
Nice. I've experienced the BSR map on a c70 with (almost) the same engine, it's pretty good for driveability if a little lacking after 5krpm.

Will there be any other mods going on? As I have an identical engine in my car, I know there's a lot more to be had without impacting reliability (currently on 228k miles).

Spot on, plenty planned just need funds! Have Pegs and S60R bumper to fit - I would like to go 400+ though aware upgraded internals required. Did stage 0 prior to map and a pipercross element , best upgrade yet has been front subframe polybush inserts made a huge difference to vague front end. Will likely poly bush front arms and upgrade brakes as although very recent discs and pads find them lacking, Maybe hoses required.

Suspension next so any VFM upgrade solutions much appreciated, cheers

Ps I feel inadequate my wagon being on just 97k, 200k+ with mods impressive!

M-R-P
Sunday 25th June 2017, 12:21
Best brake upgrade for your £££ is the xc90 336mm disks and calipers. Takes an hour to fit and you'll not believe the difference.
Suspension wise, depends how far you're prepared to go - I have apex yellow springs and Boge Automatic shocks with lots of powerflex stuff.
400bhp will be an expensive target but 300+ won't be hard and the torque will go up considerably.
Don't forget good tyres - being a fwd torque monster, you'll find it understeering and lighting up a lot.

T5boy
Sunday 25th June 2017, 17:44
Cheers for the advice, I fancy that setup though despite searching can't see any links to a guide/list of part numbers etc. So tricky to price up??? Yeah 400 probs optimistic will wait and see...I have nivomats are you BOGE self levellers like those or are they like Koni FSD's?

M-R-P
Monday 26th June 2017, 09:51
Cheers for the advice, I fancy that setup though despite searching can't see any links to a guide/list of part numbers etc. So tricky to price up??? Yeah 400 probs optimistic will wait and see...I have nivomats are you BOGE self levellers like those or are they like Koni FSD's?

Like I said on your other post, just swap the rear shocks for whatever standard equivalent you fancy.
Parts aren't too hard to track down on eBay, frf, Partsforvolvosonline.com etc.
There's also a lot of good 2nd hand parts available on forums and Facebook.

T5boy
Monday 26th June 2017, 10:28
Perfect thanks, for some reason thought different mounts required...@ 97k probs need a refresh anyway.