PDA

View Full Version : blocked breather pipe leadin to rear main seal failure.

Pliskin
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 16:25
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of changing a gauze type filter underneath the intake manifold ?

The reason I ask is that Craigr recently joined the forum and in his initial post he mentioned that this filter can sometimes become blocked and lead to rear main oil seal failure.

Craigr told me, (and I don't want to steal your thunder Craig,) that he believes that when this filter becomes blocked it then leads to an increase in crankcase pressure, which in turn leads to the rear main oil seal going pop.

It is also believed that to check this rascal involves wizzing off the inlet manifold etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards to all.

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 15th November 2005, 23:53
i have a crankshaft oil seal failure

going in to get sorted end of week

BlackBeast
Wednesday 16th November 2005, 00:37
Yep, having read the depths of volvospeed on this subject what you say is correct, the item is called a pcv system. Best thing to do is just replace the whole system with new parts from volvo and yes the inlet manifold has to come off.

Pliskin
Friday 18th November 2005, 17:48
Cheers Steve, thanks for that

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 04:55
i have a crankshaft oil seal failure

going in to get sorted end of week
Ian, how did you get on with this ? I too have the same problem, some wisearse previous owner blocked the tube on purpose with a screw! I've now got leaky main oil seal.

Is it an engine out job? Was it expensive?

Have you got any noise coming from clutch or gearbox ? mines a manual and think the clutch maybe contaminated - its not slipping but it doesnt seem or sound quite right!

these pipes sound like a pain to replace as well, intake manifold off, etc - oh well!!

Martinr
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 09:30
Rear crank oil seal is a gearbox out job.

This has to be done from below the car and the boxes are heavy, (expecially the auto which took me and my mate to carry and we are both 6' plus bruisers!).

It would be worthwhile changing the clutch as a matter of course when doing the rear seal as the box and all the components will be out and you really don't want to do it twice.

For guidance the time allowed in the 'book' for this job is 6.25 hrs I am told. So you can see it wont be cheap at a garage.

All the best with it.

lance
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 11:05
Might as well check clutch while you are there!

MattB
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 12:21
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of changing a gauze type filter underneath the intake manifold ?

I would also like to know how you gho about checking this, in order to avoid the inevitable - any pointers???

wright_t5
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 13:20
Talking about breather pipes, inlet manifold off, etc, I have to replace my breather pipes cos the dam thing broke, or got broke, whatever, anyway I had this god awful oil smell, that's how I discovered it, anyway, what's involved in getting the manifold off?????:slap:

THe bits you get from Volvo are very nice, both pipes and sponge wrapping too, makes it an easy job to replace that little radcal rubber elbow I bet, oh, you get that too....

Cheers

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 13:59
Might as well check clutch while you are there!

clutch and seal was replaced last week, much better now.. thanks VT!!!

pault5
Tuesday 29th November 2005, 17:02
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=29650&hl=

plenty of pics looka a PITA :B_blite:

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 01:15
i didnt like the look of that - plus the gearbox out for the seal, plus the clutch (easy while it's all apart i guess)... i'm starting to wonder if its worth it on a 10 year old car that cost me £700!

Tiff_T5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 01:56
Jim, Did you used to have a yellow+ chequered bodykitted X1/9?

Tiff_T5
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 02:01
It IS you,must be... just checked the yahoo groups X1/9 page...Jim from Surrey with a CB shop..... I met you at Billing...! Tiff the Tech advisor??!!

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 04:29
LOL Blimey - hello Tiff me ole mate!

Yup, tis me, the X is resplendant in the carport at the mo, waiting for the summer!

What ya doing on here buddy?

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 6th December 2005, 04:30
just read your sig... kinda obvious what you're doing here... one of the volvo clan too then?

Tiff_T5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 00:17
Lol,yup.. My X is tucked away for the winter now too..You still in the club?

Bloody hell....what are the chances...This interweb thingy still manages to amaze me...

jim_from_surrey
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 01:23
what are the chances indeed??!!

yup, still in the club, got the latest mag this week actually

how long have you had your volvo? any mods? and so as to not completely hijack this thread... any experience with the main oil seal??? lol

Tiff_T5
Wednesday 7th December 2005, 02:28
I've only had the Volvo a couple of months,...as for the main seal..I just ££££ed my gearbox the other day,and I have a few other things to do,so the whole engine/box'll be coming out soon.While I'm there I'll pop in a new seal,and a new clutch.I'll have to remember and take lots of pics!

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 18th December 2005, 19:20
Sorry, been away from the 'puter for a few days... Pics would be good Tiff, very on topic... keep us all posted matey!

t5tart
Saturday 7th January 2006, 01:42
just dont the pcv onmine after reading up on the volvo speed forums
I am a total novice took me an afternoon and its a hell of alot better now
rear seal and clutch cost £650 to do at a gge ...I'm not about to start droping gear boxes

the parts from volvo were about £80

Rufus T Firefly
Monday 16th January 2006, 12:00
I changed my PCV system yesterday, parts were about £70 including the black plastic box and the big pipe that goes roung to the turbo. It was not too difficult, just a bit fiddly getting the bottom bolt out of the Inlet manifold steady.
Volvo sold me the parts but the pipe was different, the one I took off was just one pipe but the new one had a smaller vacuum pipe with rubber elbows on the ends fitted in the outer foam sheath - no where to connect that? The new inlet gasket supplied was also different, the old one was one piece and looked like plastic but the new one was 5 seperate pieces of metal - looks like an exhaust gasket set to me. My T5 is an early 94 with the turbo intercooler pipe over the top of the engine. The parts guy knows my car so I was surprised at the difference.

t5tart
Monday 16th January 2006, 13:07
I changed my PCV system yesterday, parts were about £70 including the black plastic box and the big pipe that goes roung to the turbo. It was not too difficult, just a bit fiddly getting the bottom bolt out of the Inlet manifold steady.
Volvo sold me the parts but the pipe was different, the one I took off was just one pipe but the new one had a smaller vacuum pipe with rubber elbows on the ends fitted in the outer foam sheath - no where to connect that? The new inlet gasket supplied was also different, the old one was one piece and looked like plastic but the new one was 5 seperate pieces of metal - looks like an exhaust gasket set to me. My T5 is an early 94 with the turbo intercooler pipe over the top of the engine. The parts guy knows my car so I was surprised at the difference.

I had exactly the same thing with mine
the earlier ones have a different vacuum system where the smaller hose goes to the top of the engine near the top mount ...... the hose in the large pipe is for the later models where it connects to the inlet manifold

you can remove the vac pipe from the foam shorten it and replace the vac pipe (that connects to the turbo intake air pipe at the little heater where the large pipe connects) and conect it to the end of the steel pipe that runs under the spark plug cover by the top mount

the inlet manifold gaskett should be paper
the 5 seperate sound vey much like the exhaust gasketts

where the vac line connects at the top of the engine
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/t5tart/volvo/splithose.jpg

where it connects at the turbo intake (covered in foam which i reused)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/t5tart/volvo/pcvconnection.jpg

t5tart
Monday 16th January 2006, 13:09
ooops appoligies for the rather large pics

oh also a good idea to give the heater a good clean ( the block that sits in the intake pipe) dont soak it in carb cleaner though as i found to my expense ......... abd get a pipe cleaner and clean out the bit the vac line pushes onto

Rufus T Firefly
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 14:28
Nice pictures!
Thanks for the info there, the little vac pipe I have left in situ and I have just checked the one that goes to the metal pipe sat on top of the engine - I replaced it with vac hose.
I did a bit of research and found that the little vac pipe provides a vacuum at tick over to pull gasses out of the crankcase. At higher revs it is not needed as the turbo creates the vacuum anyway. The strange arrangement on top of the cylinder head is that length because it is a calibrated length of pipe. - I dont quite understand that!

Tiff_T5
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 20:00
I just did my exhaust manifold the other day,and it had 5 seperate metal wafer type gaskets,I also got an inlet gasket at the same time, 1 complete gasket,made of green paper.

t5tart
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 00:24
yer mine was green paper too

Daz T5
Sunday 5th February 2006, 21:07
Is the pcv somthing that should be changed as a matter of course? How do you know when it needs changing?

Darren

iGGy
Monday 6th February 2006, 10:02
I did mine last week at 120K and was a surprised by the brittle condition of the pipes and the blockages:

Oil seperator
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Oil_sep_01.jpg

Lower seperator return nicely blocked
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Oil_sep_02.jpg

Slightly blurry oil return port on block, err blocked
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Blocked01.jpg

Now no smoke wafting out of the dip stick tube or filler cap. Definitely worth doing if your cars approaching or over the 100K mark.

t5tart
Monday 6th February 2006, 14:10
I did mine last week at 120K and was a surprised by the brittle condition of the pipes and the blockages:

Oil seperator
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Oil_sep_01.jpg

Lower seperator return nicely blocked
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Oil_sep_02.jpg

Slightly blurry oil return port on block, err blocked
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f145/igg1e/Blocked01.jpg

Now no smoke wafting out of the dip stick tube or filler cap. Definitely worth doing if your cars approaching or over the 100K mark.

how did u get the carbonisation out of the engine block hole??

think im gonna have to do mine again as i'm still getting smoke from the dipstick

think i didnt clean that bit too well

iGGy
Monday 6th February 2006, 15:44
I put a very slight bend on the end of a thin TIG filler rod and scooped out the bulk of it. Then had no alternative but to rely on any oil strainer and the filter to do it's job when the time came, as I fed and wiggled the rod down as far as it would go to clear the channel down into the sump. Then a cloth around my little finger, soaked in cleaner, to get the rest of it off.

The vacuum take-off on the PCV heater was also 100% blocked and therefore my idle recirculation wasn't working either.

t5tart
Monday 6th February 2006, 15:49
I put a very slight bend on the end of a thin TIG filler rod and scooped out the bulk of it. Then had no alternative but to rely on any oil strainer and the filter to do it's job when the time came, as I fed and wiggled the rod down as far as it would go to clear the channel down into the sump. Then a cloth around my little finger, soaked in cleaner, to get the rest of it off.

The vacuum take-off on the PCV heater was also 100% blocked and therefore my idle recirculation wasn't working either.

how far in does that return go ?? is it straight through to the sump ??? or does it bend? just dont wanna go poking in there and damage something

iGGy
Monday 6th February 2006, 16:00
Thats a good question, I don't know, so therefore I was using a bit of 'feel' with the rod. I did give it a quick blast of air just to hopefully move any bits I'd dislodged but were still in the oil way.

JUDGENINJA
Monday 6th February 2006, 16:19
I'm not sure if it helps.... but my Sump is off at the moment if you want some pics or investigation...?...

Just let me know...

t5tart
Tuesday 7th February 2006, 23:56
I'm not sure if it helps.... but my Sump is off at the moment if you want some pics or investigation...?...

Just let me know...

that would be great if u can
see that oil return

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 00:37
Here you go...
Pic 1 - Picture just to confirm the part I'm looking at is the right one...??
Pic 2 - the square hole is where it enters the Sump
Pic 3 - The square pipe the carries on throught the sump to an open hole. i couldn't see any gauze to block up. It seems to just so straight through to the bottom of the sump..
I reckon a standard pipe cleaner should be OK to clean out, but it give it a proper clean it may be worth taken the sump completely off and give it a good clean...... mine was ovened to burn off excessive oil then shot blast before the Blue coating was put on....

t5tart
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 01:59
Here you go...
Pic 1 - Picture just to confirm the part I'm looking at is the right one...??
Pic 2 - the square hole is where it enters the Sump
Pic 3 - The square pipe the carries on throught the sump to an open hole. i couldn't see any gauze to block up. It seems to just so straight through to the bottom of the sump..
I reckon a standard pipe cleaner should be OK to clean out, but it give it a proper clean it may be worth taken the sump completely off and give it a good clean...... mine was ovened to burn off excessive oil then shot blast before the Blue coating was put on....

excellent pics there

thanks
the only concern i have is perhaps pushing some debris into the sump into the oil ????

dont think that would do the big ends much good ??

may be worth flushing and replacing the oil after cleaning what you think

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:12
My sump was quite clean when I dismantled it... i'll drop off the box and see just how blocked it is.. If the box is as block up as yours there many be a possibility that the sump is fine and the box was doing it's job well... I'll try and let you know..

stuAWD
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:40
As an aside to this thread, just recently, I was talking to one of the people at my local Volvo dealership on the subject of blocked breathers, and he was saying this guy came in with an old 850 and all the oil separator and breather sysyem was totally blocked, they took a shortcut in cleaning out the breather system, they drained the old oil (very old oil) then filled up with engine flushing oil, and ran the car around for about 5 miles, drained the system and did the same again, it cleared the breather sytem out, and the guy never came back. Conclusion:- (1) it worked and the guy was happy. (2) it f****d his engine and he's gone right off Volvos.

BlackBeast
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:49
I will be ordering a new PCV system tomorrow, do i need to buy the 'Fresh air hose' as Vida calls it? Its the large air hose that goes from the turbo to the MAF.

MattB
Wednesday 8th February 2006, 16:49
As an aside to this thread, just recently, I was talking to one of the people at my local Volvo dealership on the subject of blocked breathers, and he was saying this guy came in with an old 850 and all the oil separator and breather sysyem was totally blocked, they took a shortcut in cleaning out the breather system, they drained the old oil (very old oil) then filled up with engine flushing oil, and ran the car around for about 5 miles, drained the system and did the same again, it cleared the breather sytem out, and the guy never came back. Conclusion:- (1) it worked and the guy was happy. (2) it f****d his engine and he's gone right off Volvos.
With a bit of luck, its no.1??

t5owner
Thursday 9th February 2006, 12:23
I will be ordering a new PCV system tomorrow, do i need to buy the 'Fresh air hose' as Vida calls it? Its the large air hose that goes from the turbo to the MAF.

Any idea of the part numbers for all the bits required to complete the job as mines done 120k and puffs smoke out of the dipstick tube and an idea of the prices involved

Car is a 1997 "p" S70

Cheers

stuart

MattB
Saturday 18th February 2006, 14:17
just dont the pcv onmine after reading up on the volvo speed forums
I am a total novice took me an afternoon and its a hell of alot better now
rear seal and clutch cost £650 to do at a gge ...I'm not about to start droping gear boxes

the parts from volvo were about £80
I've got the tell tale smoking dipstick tube, so guess I'm replacing my pcv system over the next few weeks!!
Do you have a list of parts, or do you simply ask Volvo for the 'pcv system'??
I am a novice too, but hopefully I can sort this one as I can't afford the labour right now!
Also, how do you know when the rear main seal has gone??
(AFAIK Dipstick has only just started smoking).

MattB
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 21:13
I've got the tell tale smoking dipstick tube, so guess I'm replacing my pcv system over the next few weeks!!
Do you have a list of parts, or do you simply ask Volvo for the 'pcv system'??
I am a novice too, but hopefully I can sort this one as I can't afford the labour right now!
Also, how do you know when the rear main seal has gone??
(AFAIK Dipstick has only just started smoking).
Still waiting for my garage door to be repaired, then hopefully willget around to changing my PCV. (Parts are sat at home waiting) Think I'll flush and change the oil at the same time as oil change is due in less than 1000 miles anyway. BTW is smoking dipstick the only symptom of a blocked PCv or are there other tell tales signs to look for??

chriskay
Wednesday 1st March 2006, 23:31
Just had mine done. I told them to replace anything suspect. They said it was pretty well blocked; hope this will save my oil seal. The gasket is for the inlet manifold, which has to come off.
1996 855.

MattB
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:05
Thanks for that Chriskay. I'll be checking later on to make sure I have purchased all of the right bits. BTW how long did it take them?? I'm hoping I can save my oil seal too!

chriskay
Thursday 2nd March 2006, 09:32
Thanks for that Chriskay. I'll be checking later on to make sure I have purchased all of the right bits. BTW how long did it take them?? I'm hoping I can save my oil seal too!
Volvo allow 2 hours to change the ??canister, but it took another hour to change the associated pipework (probably not necessary, but I wanted to be sure). I got 10-15% off the parts & 30% off the labour. I'm sure someone here (Wobbly?) will know how difficult/easy a job it is, or you could ask VT.
Cheers, Chris.

dicky b t5
Saturday 11th March 2006, 14:17
If you've got a Smoking Dip Stick Tube....Is a blocked PCV the only thing that will make this Smoke, or is there anything else that could cause this...?

iGGy
Saturday 11th March 2006, 14:26
I'd say under normal conditions every bit of smoke/vapour should be sucked out via the breather system. I think to see smoke from the tube caused by something else would mean there's something seriously wrong with the internals of the engine if it was 'over powering' a breather system in good condition.

fraz13
Saturday 11th March 2006, 14:30
A would edit that post with the invoice on it Chris as you address is on it mate ;)

chriskay
Saturday 11th March 2006, 15:37
Cheers, Frazer. I've changed it now.

MattB
Sunday 19th March 2006, 18:25
Finally got 'round to changing mine today
- won't tell you how long it took me LOL!
Did an oil change at the same time. A bit tricky for a novice like myself. Hopefully car will be better off for it and I have saved my rear main oil seal (and ££££'s!). Breather box was all gunked up - lots of mayo too. No signs of mayo in the oil though - thanks heavens. Will keep my eye on it. :B_blite:
Parts from Volvo & Halfrauds - £110

Saving £££'s on Labour costs - Worth it.

Inventing new swear words - Priceless!! :sinner:

Mrsmopp
Sunday 19th March 2006, 18:28
Inventing new swear words - Priceless!! :sinner:

LMSO!!! :rotfl:

x

Baj
Monday 3rd April 2006, 22:20
Possibly stupid question but do all T5s have the same engine (C70, V70 850 etc) and do non T5 engines have this problem?
My dad has a TD V70 and I would like to point this out to him if it is relevant.
He is retired so expensive engine repairs would not be welcomed! :)

LeeT5
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 00:32
Possibly stupid question but do all T5s have the same engine (C70, V70 850 etc) and do non T5 engines have this problem?
My dad has a TD V70 and I would like to point this out to him if it is relevant.
He is retired so expensive engine repairs would not be welcomed! :)

You say a TD V70? TDi engine is completely different my friend. T5's all have the same engine except ecu programming is different. Non turbo engine are primarilry the same except obviously all the turbo related hoses etc are missing. Vague i know but you get the point.

t5owner
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 17:51
Finally got round to doing the S70 today all parts from marshalls for around £50 i think as i duplicated some of the parts as "that software" doesn`t group connected items together so i ended up with a breather pipe assembly and all the parts to make another one thanks to marshalls for agreeing to refund me on the duplicated parts "Many thanks wayne and oliver"

Followed the destructions as on here man small hands would be a bonus
Took the oil seperator off and it was as clean as a whistle no gunk or mayo same for all the pipes i replaced so i guess my engines in better shape than i thought

Total time for the job was about 4 hours however i was stopping for cuppas and fags every half hour but hey it saved me god nows what on labour charges and i came away with all my knuckles intact even if i did look like i`d done 12 hours down a coal mine

Well onto the next job now

Cheers

stuart

blondy
Monday 9th October 2006, 10:22
are these parts to replace the pcv volvo dealer only parts? looks like i have smoke blowing out the dipstick tube, also a smell of oil coming through the vents when stationary with engine running. any idea on what sort of price i am looking at nowadays. thanks

Paul

t5owner
Monday 9th October 2006, 10:29
are these parts to replace the pcv volvo dealer only parts? looks like i have smoke blowing out the dipstick tube, also a smell of oil coming through the vents when stationary with engine running. any idea on what sort of price i am looking at nowadays. thanks

Paul

Yep fraid its main dealers only or nordic if your a member of the VOC

It should still be around £60 sovs but give marshalls or frank taylor volvo a ring numbers are in the discounts section

You will need a discount code from justin (website owner) to get your discounted prices email him for this do not use the PM facility

And enjoy

Cheers

stuart

mazza
Monday 9th October 2006, 10:31
i think it is volvo only part and i remember somewhere on here its about 80-90 squids!!!!also need the inlet manifold gasket to!!thinking of doing this during the week...

lil_me
Saturday 14th October 2006, 04:19
Does anyone know if you could use a stainless steel oil catch can instead of the oem seperator.
Just that i've got one in the shed and it would be an excuse for some shiney bits under the bonnet.

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd August 2008, 15:04
I finally plucked up the courage today to have a look where my oil leak is coming from, can you guess?.........REAR CRANK SEAL. At least that's where I presume it's coming from because I have oil dripping out from the join between the box and the engine. If the seal is leaking is it defo knackered?, or would doing the PCV lower the pressure on it and stop/slow the leak?. I'm technicaly capable of doing the seal myself, just not really sure I can be bothered. At the moment it's leaking like a sieve, I only need park the car for a few minutes for a small puddle to appear under the car.

Any and all help appreciated.