PDA

View Full Version : wish bones

Paul,S60r
Friday 5th September 2014, 18:33
hi, the wish bones have gone on my car and its in the garage next week. My question is where can i get a decent set for a reasonable price and should i change anything else while it's all apart. It's a 2006 S60R.

cheers.

M-R-P
Friday 5th September 2014, 18:37
Just get the ones you have fitted with powerflex bushes. You'll never need to do it again. Cheaper too.

Paul,S60r
Friday 5th September 2014, 18:44
so don't buy new ones i use the ones that are on the car?

Harvey
Friday 5th September 2014, 18:51
Best go and look under car a see what you have fitted.
Volvo did change things in late 2006 cars have a read of this link.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5470/114162-front-lower-control-arm-right-s60-v70

Paul,S60r
Friday 5th September 2014, 19:20
helpful link cheers.

Paul,S60r
Friday 5th September 2014, 22:09
Just get the ones you have fitted with powerflex bushes. You'll never need to do it again. Cheaper too.

Is this advisable?

silverhorse
Friday 5th September 2014, 22:32
Is this advisable?
Yep. Barsteward of a job though.

Paul,S60r
Friday 5th September 2014, 22:50
why? any idea of how long it takes.

M-R-P
Saturday 6th September 2014, 00:50
Takes about 2 hours a side, depending on tools and skill. Often, it's a good idea to get hold of some old wishbones, fit them with polys and swap them over when you're ready. Still cheaper than genuine volvo wishbones and will last far longer.

silverhorse
Saturday 6th September 2014, 09:10
Takes about 2 hours a side, depending on tools and skill. Often, it's a good idea to get hold of some old wishbones, fit them with polys and swap them over when you're ready. Still cheaper than genuine volvo wishbones and will last far longer.

It's worth giving it a go Paul, but I guarantee it will take more than 2 hours a side! Make sure you have access to a bush press. There is a 'how to' on here where Martin (MRP in post above) presses them in with a G clamp with the bushes in situ. Still don't know how he did it!
If I had to do it again, I could do it much quicker, but the first time was a bit of a nightmare.

Paul,S60r
Saturday 6th September 2014, 11:32
Thanks for the advice guys. MRP please will you send me a link to that thread, if possible.

M-R-P
Saturday 6th September 2014, 14:06
clicky linky (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?38699-How-to-polybush-your-wishbones-while-changing-shocks&highlight=)

graemewelch
Saturday 6th September 2014, 14:14
If your stuck for a spare set ive got some hanging up in the garage

Paul,S60r
Saturday 6th September 2014, 15:56
cheers for the offer. Why do i need a spare set though? I'm confused.

M-R-P
Saturday 6th September 2014, 16:10
You can fit the bushes on the spare set then fit them at your leisure or get a garage to do them.

That way, you're not left stranded if something goes wrong.

Paul,S60r
Saturday 6th September 2014, 17:12
Ahhh i see, that's good thinkin. Im in the army and Im planning on getting the mechanics at work to have a go, i don't think they would of had any experience doing this. All the info I've been getting and all the more info i can get to pass on is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

silverhorse
Saturday 6th September 2014, 22:25
If I had to do it again, I would get a spare set and poly bush them before fitting. That's the easiest way of doing it......

M-R-P
Saturday 6th September 2014, 23:35
Just don't put powerflex bushes in the rear of the wishbones, total arse getting them on the car.

ExternalError
Saturday 6th September 2014, 23:53
I have powerflex bushes in the rear of my wishbones I dont recall colin or adrian struggling to much to fit them and that was at a campsite

JamesT5
Sunday 7th September 2014, 09:14
I agree with MRP, Polybushing is worth every penny.

claymore
Sunday 7th September 2014, 09:40
I have powerflex bushes in the rear of my wishbones I dont recall colin or adrian struggling to much to fit them and that was at a campsite

The first one was a bit of a struggle, but once we realized that I'd put a os wishbone on the ns things went easy enough :)

M-R-P
Sunday 7th September 2014, 10:17
Did you drop the subframe?

claymore
Sunday 7th September 2014, 11:00
Did you drop the subframe?

Nop, two bolts at the back, one at the front and bottom ball joint, about half an hour a side, if that.

M-R-P
Sunday 7th September 2014, 13:27
Nop, two bolts at the back, one at the front and bottom ball joint, about half an hour a side, if that.

How the hell did you bend the wishbone down enough to get the ball joint in...

Hang on... Stu has coilivers... D'oh!

JamesT5
Sunday 7th September 2014, 14:45

You should have gone for Powerflex Black Series, then sat back with a cold Beer and watched them both sweat their nuts off trying to bend the wishbone down. MRP and I had a right fight fitting my black polybushed wishbones to the T5, heaven help me when it's time to change the ball joints again....... :beammeup: :help:

ExternalError
Sunday 7th September 2014, 20:09
How the hell did you bend the wishbone down enough to get the ball joint in...

Hang on... Stu has coilivers... D'oh!

yeah for once the my low ride height helped

M-R-P
Sunday 7th September 2014, 21:15
yeah for once the my low ride height helped

Yep. With normal springs, that job in a field would be a no go.

ExternalError
Sunday 7th September 2014, 21:31
You should have gone for Powerflex Black Series, then sat back with a cold Beer and watched them both sweat their nuts off trying to bend the wishbone down. MRP and I had a right fight fitting my black polybushed wishbones to the T5, heaven help me when it's time to change the ball joints again....... :beammeup: :help:

yeah no thanks to the black polybushes my coilovers are firm enough i dont need the wishbones to be rock solid as well

ExternalError
Sunday 7th September 2014, 21:39

lucky really cause the bushes were shot on the ones we swapped off

claymore
Sunday 7th September 2014, 21:40
I've got black polybush in my wishbones (shock horror) and had no problem fitting them. and yes I know my car is an 850 and the wishbones are different.

claymore
Sunday 7th September 2014, 21:42

Why, worst scenario would be two bolts to undo the strut.

JamesT5
Monday 8th September 2014, 00:03
Just don't put powerflex bushes in the rear of the wishbones, total arse getting them on the car.

But one hell of a ride! :D

JamesT5
Monday 8th September 2014, 00:06
I've got black polybush in my wishbones (shock horror) and had no problem fitting them. and yes I know my car is an 850 and the wishbones are different.

Nice to see you're finally taking my advice and seeing sense to my black Polybush approach.

:smileypul :saythat:

M-R-P
Monday 8th September 2014, 00:23
they only come in black lol.

850 wishbones are a bloody breeze to do too.

JamesT5
Monday 8th September 2014, 00:24
they only come in black lol.

850 wishbones are a bloody breeze to do too.

Ball joints are built in aren't they? That means that once you're ball joints are trashed you have to replace the entire unit again?

M-R-P
Monday 8th September 2014, 00:26
Ball joints are built in aren't they? That means that once you're ball joints are trashed you have to replace the entire unit again?

Most people aware of this issue go looking for the early aluminium wishbones with the removable ball joint. I have a pair in my shed in fact.

Paul,S60r
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 10:56
i have aluminum wish bones, dose this mean i have the shaped bar and not the straightbar.the powerflex ment for shaped bar don't go on the straight one and i don't want to buy the wrong ones.

cheers.

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 12:08
i have aluminum wish bones, dose this mean i have the shaped bar and not the straightbar.the powerflex ment for shaped bar don't go on the straight one and i don't want to buy the wrong ones.

cheers.

The aluminium/steel comparison was regarding the P1/850 models mate, not overly relevant here.

It's a bit of a lottery as to which rod will be in there but if you can post a photo, I can usually work it out.

Even if you have the straight rod, it's only a 5 minute job to grind it down to the right size - just measure the hole in the bush and grind the rod to about 1mm bigger.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/DSC_0071_zps4c248948.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/Snapbucket/DSC_0071_zps4c248948.jpg.html)

Paul,S60r
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 13:22
am i right in saying i need these ones, pff88-601.

cheers.

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 13:36
Yep :)

Paul,S60r
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 17:33
decided to go with meyle ready built bushes as i can't be bothered with the hassle. whilst the wish bones are off should i have anything else changed.

Thanks for all the input especially M.R.P

Redbrick
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 17:49
decided to go with meyle ready built bushes as i can't be bothered with the hassle. whilst the wish bones are off should i have anything else changed.

Thanks for all the input especially M.R.P

I'd keep the old wishbones and get them Powerflexed so you can bang them on when the Meyle's fail. lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 18:39
I'd keep the old wishbones and get them Powerflexed so you can bang them on when the Meyle's fail. lol

+ 1 from me. I've done how to guides for rebuilding wishbones if you need any pointers.

Paul,S60r
Tuesday 9th September 2014, 19:03
i will keep the old ones for when the meyles fail, 4 year warranty though. im thinkin of the guy who's gonna be doin the work he's a colleague and he's gonna be doin it on the cheap so i don't want to take the piss.

thanks again.........